• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

When will the angels finally boast a great international talent?

Lost in Pujols' decline, the signing of Hamilton, and the greatness of Trout, is the fact this organization has missed out on:

1) The cuban invasion of Puig, Abreau, Cespedes, Fernandez, and Chapman

2) The Asian talent revival including Darvish (probably sickest pitcher in the game), Tanaka, Ryu, Iwakuma, and Uehara

Now I'm not wondering whether the angels have ramped up international scouting (we already know that is one of JD's priorities), I'm wondering when the team will actually have a bankable, bona fide international talent playing for them:

2016?

2017?

2018?

Some of the above guys weren't developed, they were just bought, so that has nothing to do with scouting, but rather an unwilligness to spend, or being hamstrung from splurging on washed up domestic players. 

I say the team probably goes and gets a bona fide international star if this current regime of pujols, trout and hamilton fails this year and next, and the writing becomes real clear on wall, probably 2016 and onward.

You're a genious. Why aren't you the GM? Because Monday-morning-armchair-quarterbacking is pretty easy, huh.

The Angels were publicly in on at least one of the Cuban players, so you might want to pipe down. And you don't know that they were not going after any of the others. Plus, how smart is it to pay for unproven talent when you already have a player who fills that position. 

You're a genious. Why aren't you the GM? Because Monday-morning-armchair-quarterbacking is pretty easy, huh.

The Angels were publicly in on at least one of the Cuban players, so you might want to pipe down. And you don't know that they were not going after any of the others. Plus, how smart is it to pay for unproven talent when you already have a player who fills that position.

Who pissed in your cheerios. It's a legitimate topic, stop being a douche.

What's with the personal attacks?  Why can't this be a topic of discussion? 

Lost in Pujols' decline, the signing of Hamilton, and the greatness of Trout, is the fact this organization has missed out on:

2) The Asian talent revival including Darvish (probably sickest pitcher in the game), Tanaka, Ryu, Iwakuma, and Uehara

Now I'm not wondering whether the angels have ramped up international scouting (we already know that is one of JD's priorities), I'm wondering when the team will actually have a bankable, bona fide international talent playing for them:

2016?

2017?

2018?

Some of the above guys weren't developed, they were just bought, so that has nothing to do with scouting, but rather an unwilligness to spend, or being hamstrung from splurging on washed up domestic players. 

I say the team probably goes and gets a bona fide international star if this current regime of pujols, trout and hamilton fails this year and next, and the writing becomes real clear on wall, probably 2016 and onward.

The international rules are changing for how players get signed.  I think the halos also rightly steered clear of the trafficking and under table deals that were ever so common.  I think we are also going to see that being uncovered over time as well. 

The Asian and Cuban players are expensive so unless you have really done your due diligence in scouting, then you pass.  I think the halos fall into that category.  They just didn't gather enough info on these players to feel comfortable making the gamble. 

It was a missed opportunity, but hopefully they can get back in the mix. 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

CF8's reply is a concern of mine being a regular poster here for a while now (Many Years).

Why is it so easy for some here to berate another instead of answering the question, educating the person on Org intel (if they had some), or even posting a link to the answer if there is/was one. Or, even posting an actual thought out answer.

Replies like this took many of us away from the Main Board a few years ago and into the other areas of the website till this vermin could be eradicated.

Personal attacks to questions or the posters here are not needed, warranted, or expected.

I hope the Admins can fix this early. As I for one don't wish to sit through that debacle again.

Cheers~

Follow up: DoubleOffTheWall

If someone replies like that don't drop to their level by calling them names (just go in and block/ignore them so you don't have to read their crap).

Jeezus. what an over reaction.

You're right about my approach though....I could have done it more diplomatically. However I took the tone of the OP.

2016?

2017?

2018?

The Angels international department was essentially shuttered after the Clay Daniels fiasco when he was basically caught skimming money -- when that happened it set the Angels back a decade.   If you have netflix, do yourself a favor and watch the movie Pelotero, it will give you a tremendous insight into the process in places like the DR.  Anyway, when word spread that the Angels people had been robbing players they were blackballed by just about every player handler in the DR.   These handlers basically take players in as young as ten years old, they feed, clothe, board, and train them until they are able to finally sign at which point they get a huge cut of the signing bonus.   These guys are the power brokers, they are the guys that point guys towards certain teams and have a great deal of influence and control...   Those were the relationships that were lost or destroyed.... those are the relationships that the Angels have had to rebuild.

As others have stated, recent rules changes to the international signing process will likely end up spreading the talent a bit more evenly, the only real jackpot players are the Cuban's with service time in the Cuban leagues who also meet certain age requirements and the Japanese players.  

Edited by Inside Pitch

Actually, it's not! At the time responses like yours (popping off) swung to a real ugly time during the Main Boards history. And many of the original posters myself included decided we were not going to be a part of a (internet Troll) situation! And just ignored the Main thread altogether.

Read the rules for posting within this community.

We called Terminix once before! And now I have them on Speed Dial.

Keep it civil or disappear.

Enjoy the rest of your day!

And even bigger over reaction. 

You're guilty of the things you're railing against, lol. Keep it civil next time.