• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Oakland

The one thing I've noticed watching the A's these years, is that they almost never hit into double plays.

It seems like everyone of them is a fly ball hitter, and they never kill rallies on their own. They make pitchers work for 3 individual outs, every time.

When they grabbed Callsaspo last year, it furthered this point. One thing I always liked about Callaspo, was that despite being average in power, he rarely hit into double plays and diminished baserunners.

The Angels should take notes and learn a bit.

Total team GIDP

A's - 8

Angels - 9

So I guess, mission accomplished?

Between 2009 and 2013 the Angels finished with fewer GIDP than the A's twice, in a third year they were 5 behind.   Last year the Angels led the AL with 150 - a truly awful number.

Total team GIDP

A's - 8

Angels - 9

So I guess, mission accomplished?

Between 2009 and 2013 the Angels finished with fewer GIDP than the A's twice, in a third year they were 5 behind. Last year the Angels led the AL with 150 - a truly awful number.

The 2009-2011 A's aren't really the same as the current version. Not just in the personnel but also in their philosophy and the way they attempt to score. If we compare the numbers starting with 2012 then the difference is much clearer. Since the start of 2012 the A's have hit into only 213 double plays (fewest in the majors) while the Angels have hit into 297 (2nd most). The A's have also "led" the majors in G/F ratio that entire time frame. They have always been near the "lead" in G/F ratio but from 2012 on they have created quite a bit of separation between them and everyone else. I won't argue whether fewer GIDP is essential or not (the team with the most since 2012 - Detroit). And maybe the G/F ratio only works for them due to their personnel and the same strategy would fail on another team. I don't know. But it's definitely truthful to say that the current A's team has a knack for avoiding double plays and keeping the ball up while our Halos don't. Who knows if it would help our offense to play like that or not. Our home park playing somewhat similar to the Coliseum makes me want to see them try a little but my gut tells me it would only hinder our performance. We did fine on offense since 2012 without playing like that. I'd hate to see us try to copy someone else and stop performing. Edited by HaloMagic

The 2009-2011 A's aren't really the same as the current version. Not just in the personnel but also in their philosophy and the way they attempt to score. If we compare the numbers starting with 2012 then the difference is much clearer. Since the start of 2012 the A's have hit into only 213 double plays (fewest in the majors) while the Angels have hit into 297 (2nd most). The A's have also "led" the majors in G/F ratio that entire time frame. They have always been near the "lead" in G/F ratio but from 2012 on they have created quite a bit of separation between them and everyone else. I won't argue whether fewer GIDP is essential or not (the team with the most since 2012 - Detroit). And maybe the G/F ratio only works for them due to their personnel and the same strategy would fail on another team. I don't know. But it's definitely truthful to say that the current A's team has a knack for avoiding double plays and keeping the ball up while our Halos don't. Who knows if it would help our offense to play like that or not. Our home park playing somewhat similar to the Coliseum makes me want to see them try a little but my gut tells me it would only hinder our performance. We did fine on offense since 2012 without playing like that. I'd hate to see us try to copy someone else and stop performing.

Nice post.  Yep, it's a fair statement to say the A's put the ball in the air.  I think their GIDP totals were held down a bit by their poor OBP showing in 2012 (they also led MLB in Ks that year) but they definitely carried it over last year... so it's not a luck thing as many people are prone to argue with all things Oakland A's.  Conversely, I think the Angels have been hurt in part by their transition from a speed team to one with more power, a situation made worse by the reality that their two premium power additions didn't really show a lot of power last year. The parks may be impacting the situation some as well, Oakland has LD rate indexes of  116 for LHB and 117 for RHB Vs. 87 and 92 in Anaheim -- the two parks are both pitchers havens but they do play a bit differently.

I think the biggest change for the A's has been Chili Davis, he's a tremendous hitting coach, a guy I had wanted here for a long time.  I think he will make a great manager down the road, IMO he's Don Baylor redux.  IMO, that's been the best  move made by any team in the AL West in recent years.

Edited by Inside Pitch

It almost seems like you're trying to point out that there was some failed logic involved in a prior observation.

"I felt pretty good, I just couldn't put anyone away," Smyly said. "Any time I'd get ahead of someone, they would keep fouling off pitches and working the count, and then they'd find something they could hit. That's a really good lineup, and they hammered everything I left over the plate."

"I felt pretty good, I just couldn't put anyone away," Smyly said. "Any time I'd get ahead of someone, they would keep fouling off pitches and working the count, and then they'd find something they could hit. That's a really good lineup, and they hammered everything I left over the plate."

Thank you Don Baylor. Thank you!