• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Estimated Opening Day Salaries

gotbeer

• 9 months later...

Per AO.  Updated the list.  

Things to note.  

Calhoun is going to be close to Super 2.  Last year, the cutoff was 2.140 service time.  Calhoun should be around a 2.130 service time.  If he gets super 2, add a few million to the kitty.

Dejesus ($5/$1) and Murphy ($7/$0.5) have options.  I only included the buyout amount.  

Remember that the first tab is projected opening day salary.  The second tab is the Competitive Balance Tax salary.  The threshold for 2016 is $189 million.  From my calcs, we are around $162 million on the tax.  

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tWP2l9vnCH0dIA5m4IFIDwowquzxut8_xjcl5-ETuE8/edit?usp=sharing

So roughly 25 million to spend? And does that already include raises (like you mentioned about calhoun)?

Gotta figure richards gets extended this offseason too.

No.  Unless OC register or MLB Trade Rumors has their estimated arbitration figures, I keep it at a +150% of previous salary.  So guys like Calhoun and Richards will probably be higher than the norm.  Especially Calhoun, since I have the year 2 figure instead of the arb 1 figure that will be a million or so more.  So expect the salaries to go up a bit.  It'll only be like a few million.  But when you are already close to cap, every few matter.

In other words, if we don't go over the tax, we are screwed.  

So whats your estimate of what we can spend this year?

I really don't know.  Because I don't know what it means to spend $ on the right person.  Is the bar Hamilton?  Or Pujols?  Or Trout?  If Moreno is expecting to spend money only on players that he will know be worth it, ie Trout, then we won't be spending any big money this offseason.  If he is looking to only spend on future hall of famers, ie Pujols, then that also leaves nobody to spend it on.  If he is going to spend on best possible, ie Hamilton, then we might be in business.  

Moreno also has to realize.  That hiring someone from the Yankees, they don't think CBT.  They spend on what they need.  So hopefully this is a sign that we will spend on what we need and go over the tax.

They have to go over the cap. Calhoun is going to be right on the cusp of arbitration.

They have no left fielder worth a damn, their second base can only barely play defense, they need a veteran catcher, a few bullpen arms and an upgrade to the bench. They need a leadoff hitter and a lefty MOTO bat.

And some think they need an "ACE" so that will cost $$$

I think if they approach 2nd base via FA and sign either Zobrist or Kendrick then trade offense, then they might be able to squeeze under the cap. They'd also have to unload CJ Wilson and non-tender Fernando Salas. They could get Saltalamacchia for C for cheap, as he's being paid by the Marlins so would cost very little. I'd target David Peralta in the offense trade if the D'Backs would part with him. 

Then if Calhoun barely misses the arbitration cut, they might be able to squeeze under the cap.

Or they could sign Cespedes, Davis, Price, O'Day, and Clippard and just blow right past the cap and hope they don't go over it in 2017 again.