• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Aroldis Chapman hit in face by line drive

Richard

I was at this game last night at Surprise, AZ.

Was seated on the third base line equal distance between third and the plate about even with the mound.

I was glad to see Chapman enter the game because of all the (well deserving) hoopla about the velocity of his fast ball.

I took some photos of Chapman as he was warming up to start the inning -- I didn't take any photos of the aftermath of the line drive shot -- didn't think it was appropriate. The stadium was in complete silence. It was a nightmarish thing to witness in real time.

Chapman's fast ball registered 100 mph two pitches before the pitch Salvador Perez hit back at him, 98 on the proceeding pitch and 99 on the pitch that Perez hit (Surprise Stadium scoreboard lists the pitch velocity on the scoreboard).

For those who have seen the video, it was a rocket off Perez's bat on what I think was an 0-2 count.......the prior KC hitter, I think it was Hosmer, came back to the dug out with a grin on his face (as if to exclaim, WOW, is that guy's pitch fast !) after striking out and after really fighting off a pitch on a two strike count and fouling it back.

The ball off Perez's bat was a line shot that just smacked Chapman below the eye -- he went down and let out a welp -- the thump/ thud of the ball was sickening loud and could be heard throughout the park.  We (my friends with me at the game) discussed if one of those new 'helmet hats' would have helped/ prevent this -- and we concluded that because of the projectory of the ball, a 99 mph fastball coming straight back at Chapman twice as fast -- such a helmet would not have made a difference (this is not to imply or argue in any way against the use of such hats, as they may well make a lot of sense -- just to state that in this instance the use of such a helmet/ hat would not have prevented the injury).

Those who have seen Chapman pitch in person (TV doesn't do the velocity of his fastball or his height justice), he's 6' 4" so that height combined with his blazing fastball means his ball is right on you (the hitter) right now and he's halfway to plate (it seems) at the conclusion of his delivery.

Salvador Perez was visibly upset and concerned. He and the other Royals came out onto the field and knelt in the infield........the game was called after about a 8 to 12 minute delay (seemed longer -- also no ambulance came onto the field, they carted Chapman off in a specially equipped medical golf cart type vehicle)........the KC home crowd sprinkled with some Cincy fans was very respectful, Remained on their feet and quiet (I mean still quiet) while Chapman was being attended to.........KC Manager Ned Yost and Cincy manager Bryan(?) Price conferred and called the game.......the fans remained standing and respectfully applauded Chapman was he was lifted onto the stretcher and then applauded again after the game was called and without any scene or incident, left the stadium in a very orderly fashion......

Press reports (and an update on this thread) have given the medical update so I won't repeat it here.......this could have been much worse -- the 'not so bad news' (don't want to call it 'good') was that Chapman's legs were moving pretty much the entire time after he was hit which means he wasn't knocked unconscious -- Chapman's father was at the game and ran out onto the field......

everyone left the park in a very somber mood in what otherwise was a spectacular weather evening in Surprise and a great night for baseball.

Everyone involved handled the situation well, the players, the managers, the umps, the fans etc.  Perez and several Royals players visited Chapman in the hospital that evening.

The only one thing that sort of stuck with me a little bit, is that an ambulance was not dispatched onto the field immediately (or at all, it was a medical cart).......in almost any Friday night high school football game, there's an ambulance and crew stationed right off the field ready to swing into action and onto the playing field in a moment's notice......here, I think they had to call 911 and summon an ambulance that covers the City of Surprise and the arriving sirens could be heard only as fans were exiting the ball park......

It was my last evening of a Sunday - Wednesday of Spring Training baseball including two Angels games (vs. Giants at Tempe and White Sox at Camelback Park in Glendale) and it left our group in a very somber mood having witnessed something none of us wanted to witness and won't be able to forget as much as we'd like to.

Good news is that Chapman seems to be doing well considering the circumstances and it could have been much worse........also, preliminary reports are that his vision won't be affected.

Anyway, thought folks might be interested in a first hand report from a Board member who was there.