• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Question:

stormngt

Well, he would have received $14 million if he accepted it. That would be $11 million more than the average MLB salary. And, according to MLBtraderumors article Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present $14 million would be $5 million more than the AAV of free agents for this offseason.

When you look at it, it's Boras greed or a steroid user that is going to be hurt the most from this. I don't know about any of you, but after Morales declined it, it was pretty obvious that it wasn't going to end well for him.

AAV might be great for bragging rights, but baseball's guaranteed contracts made the LTV more important for Boras and Kendrys than it's counterpart. If he wasn't attached to pick compensation - or if it was a guaranteed compensation like the old system - I'd venture he'd have more interested clubs. Instead the half-assed rule now gives clubs an escape route.

Additionally, did I miss Morales' involvement with PEDs? Or are you mixing Cruz into this?

Edited by Ordos

The free agent compensation system existed before but instead of making it open to anyone who got a QO, it was a statistical formula that decided who came with what compensation. That was just as bad and actually more guys ended up tied to the compensation that now.

What's changed is there is now a draft slotting pool, so if you lose the pick you also lose the money. If the Angels give up the 15th pick, they also lose the $2M+ to spend on the draft.

Also, teams are now valuing draft picks more than 10 years ago because the major league salaries have gone up so much. It's more important than ever to develop some cheap talent.

Personally I don't think there's anything wrong with the system. When guys get screwed it's because of their own miscalculation of their value.

And by the way, no one has really gotten "screwed" yet. We all thought Lohse and Soriano and Bourn were victims last year but they ended up getting their deals. They just had to wait.

Personally I don't think there's anything wrong with the system. When guys get screwed it's because of their own miscalculation of their value.

Kendrys at this point is a one-dimensional player. He has no speed or mobility but he can hit. How a guy like that can turn down a guaranteed $14M+ is beyond me. Not like there isn't a glut of guys like that out there. He rolled the dice and he lost - which pretty much anyone here could have predicted.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

What's changed is there is now a draft slotting pool, so if you lose the pick you also lose the money. If the Angels give up the 15th pick, they also lose the $2M+ to spend on the draft.

It's important to note that teams aren't actually losing ~$2 million, they are losing the right to spend ~$2 million on drafted player signing bonuses.