• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Question:

stormngt

Maybe someone can answer it for me.

What happens to a free agent that has been offered a qualifying offer but he rejected it?  Any team that signs him loses a draft pick, thus making his appeal as a FA limited.  Meanwhile his original team replaces him and no longer  willing to sign him. 

What happens if he isn't offered a FA contract?

I am wondering about someone like Morales.  The Mariners extended him a qualifying offer.  Right now he is not signed and it is close to spring training.  What happens if no one offers him a contract because of the draft pick loss and the Mariners have replaced him?

The draft pick compensation goes away after the draft.

The system is designed so teams can't make just a 1 year offer to these guys and committ to them for muiltole years.

I've read that this system will be changed in the next few years so you don't have league average players like Morales or Cruz costing teams a pick.

Some MLB team executives have told Olney that Kendrys Morales may need to wait to sign until after the June 5-7 amateur draft if he hopes to beat the $14.1MM qualifying offer rate that he previously declined. By rule, a signing team would no longer be required to sacrifice draft pick compensation for Morales at that point. And, Olney notes, injuries and other happenings could increase demand.

Some MLB team executives have told Olney that Kendrys Morales may need to wait to sign until after the June 5-7 amateur draft if he hopes to beat the $14.1MM qualifying offer rate that he previously declined. By rule, a signing team would no longer be required to sacrifice draft pick compensation for Morales at that point. And, Olney notes, injuries and other happenings could increase demand.

I don't use this phrase often, but that sucks for the player.

Morales may end up costing himself millions with his decision to decline Seattle's QO.

Morales seems kind of dumb, or just inclined to make really poor decisions on the business side of baseball.

Maybe he shouldn't have listened to Boras.

Seriously, this is a pretty stupid rule for players, and you gotta expect MLBPA will address it. I could see the team who made the offer getting an extra pick without it coming from the signing team. That would likely get FA $ moving a bit more freely

Yeah, Kendrys made a big mistake. Presumably he thought - or his agent led him to believe - that he could get a multi-year offer, whether from Seattle or someone else.

On the other hand, if he's smart he'll stay in shape and then be available for some team needing a bat in June. Then, if he plays well, he can turn that into a nicer contract next year.

Maybe he shouldn't have listened to Boras.

Seriously, this is a pretty stupid rule for players, and you gotta expect MLBPA will address it. I could see the team who made the offer getting an extra pick without it coming from the signing team. That would likely get FA $ moving a bit more freely

Not really a stupid rule.  Since Kendry$ could have easily accepted the $14 million offer.  It was a stupid gamble for the Mariners to even offer it.  Then again, considering the agent, the Mariners probably read the tell real well.

Just because someone bluffs with a 2-7 and wins, doesn't mean you should change the rules to poker.

So if Morales would've accepted the QO and played with SEA this season, he would then become a FA after the season ends and not get another QO for the next year right?

Or, if he's out until June, and signs with another club, would he be eligible for another QO from his new club after the '14 season?

If for some reason Ibanez doesn't work out, and Morales is around after the draft, I would love for the Angels to sign him on the cheap.

Not really a stupid rule. Since Kendry$ could have easily accepted the $14 million offer. It was a stupid gamble for the Mariners to even offer it. Then again, considering the agent, the Mariners probably read the tell real well.

Just because someone bluffs with a 2-7 and wins, doesn't mean you should change the rules to poker.

From the MLBPA point of view, they'd probably prefer to see their members cash in on long term deals. Edited by Ordos

So if Morales would've accepted the QO and played with SEA this season, he would then become a FA after the season ends and not get another QO for the next year right?

Or, if he's out until June, and signs with another club, would he be eligible for another QO from his new club after the '14 season?

If for some reason Ibanez doesn't work out, and Morales is around after the draft, I would love for the Angels to sign him on the cheap.

Every free agent is at the mercy of the qualifying offer.

The rule exists specifically to limit player salaries. I'm surprised by all the recent concessions the MLBPA has given to the owners, despite record revenues.

Exactly why I say stupid rule, but I should have clarified that my POV was from player side. MLBPA tends to be strongest player union; why they agreed to this is beyond me.

Exactly why I say stupid rule, but I should have clarified that my POV was from player side. MLBPA tends to be strongest player union; why they agreed to this is beyond me.

Well, he would have received $14 million if he accepted it.  That would be $11 million more than the average MLB salary.  And, according to MLBtraderumors article Free Agent Contract Trends: 2007-08 To Present $14 million would be $5 million more than the AAV of free agents for this offseason.  

When you look at it, it's Boras greed or a steroid user that is going to be hurt the most from this.  I don't know about any of you, but after Morales declined it, it was pretty obvious that it wasn't going to end well for him.