• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Mark Cuban on Selig

happybat4

Pretty good summary

Cuban continued, "David is very self-aware. And I don't think I can emphasize this enough: That's a huge compliment when you tell someone in a position of authority that they're self-aware. Look at Major League Baseball. Bud Selig has no self-awareness whatsoever. He goes on rants, he goes on missions, he takes people on. And he's not self-reflective. I think David is the exact opposite. He will raise the hammer and be forceful, but if something isn't working, he'll back down."

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nba/story/_/id/10302405/mark-cuban-dallas-mavericks-wants-fine-david-stern-exits

I am proud to say that back in 1995, I gave Gary Bettman the finger. I was leaving Madison Square Garden, and his limo came out from the garage. His window was down, and some people were calling his name. This was right after the lockout, and the rangers Stanley Cup Banner raising was delayed. I was still pissed at him, so when he looked at me, I flipped him the bird.

I am proud to say that back in 1995, I gave Gary Bettman the finger. I was leaving Madison Square Garden, and his limo came out from the garage. His window was down, and some people were calling his name. This was right after the lockout, and the rangers Stanley Cup Banner raising was delayed. I was still pissed at him, so when he looked at me, I flipped him the bird.

Bettman still gets boos at NHL arenas all over.

I think Selig has done a great job. Basketball has really taken off since he took over. He rebranded the NBA, chose to market to players and it has paid off. He has also been in the fore front of online marketing for the NBA. Not to mention that he has really brought the NBA into the international market. He managed to save two seasons that could have never happened because of strikes. Player salaries have gone up tremendously during his watch.

Edited by happybat4

Maybe it's because I care most about baseball, but I think Selig is the worst of the sitting commissioners. They all have credibility problems. Stern has made the players bigger than the game. Goodell shoves certain teams up our asses every week and there is no good reason to not have a team in LA. Selig is now trying to take credit for cleaning up steroids in MLB after turning his head for years.

Maybe it's because I care most about baseball, but I think Selig is the worst of the sitting commissioners. They all have credibility problems. Stern has made the players bigger than the game. Goodell shoves certain teams up our asses every week and there is no good reason to not have a team in LA. Selig is now trying to take credit for cleaning up steroids in MLB after turning his head for years.

I agree -- every league has it's warts

There is no team in LA not because of Goodell but because the NFL is the ultimate Billionaire Boys Club and the members don't want any part of making anyone else rich.  Everyone has to pay to join the club and if you can't or won't you don't get admission.  The NFL is extremely owner driven.

The NBA became immensely boring post Magic/Bird/Jordan for me -- can only take so much slam dunking and the sort.  All the preening and posing and the sort just bores the crap out of me.  No reason to watch basketball save for the last 5 minutes of any game and in those 5 minutes you'll see more chest thumping and self promotion than the NFL allows in a full season.

It's nice to see the NHL overcoming their issues and start growing in popularity of late -- I wish the US feeds would take up some of what the Canadian networks do as far as televising the game...  Their telecasts are so amazing compared to how slow and boring it can look stateside.

Personally, I think a lot of the issues in MLB may be a result of people caring more about MLB and it's history..  People have a tendency to romanticize the game -- it's easily the slowest evolving of any sport. 
Edited by Inside Pitch

Goodell is great if you are for LA never getting a NFL team.  Honestly I can't stand the salary cap in football with massive parity in the sport.

I don't understand his massive hatred for Las Vegas either. The NFL won't accept Las Vegas tourism advertising for the Super Bowl, and he has threatened hotels with lawsuits for advertising Super Bowl parties - when in fact a significant part of the NFL's popularity is due to sports betting and fantasy football.

Thumbing their noses at Goodell - and rightfully so - the hotels have gotten around the legal threat by advertising their parties as being for "The Big Game", which the NFL cannot trademark.

I believe baseball, with the exception of Miami, has some of the best owners of any sport. We also have probably the worst commissioner. He ignored steroids because it made him money then when the public found out he pretended to care. He's done everything in his power to make decisions that are best for the large market teams while giving the finger to small markets. He's done everything he could do to stall instant replay, all the while putting umpires in position to favor the money-making teams with every controversial call. The success baseball has seen during his tenure has not been of his doing and in certain cases came about in direct opposition to Selig. He's corrupt and he's done what he could to ensure corruption spreads in the league.

I agree -- every league has it's warts

There is no team in LA not because of Goodell but because the NFL is the ultimate Billionaire Boys Club and the members don't want any part of making anyone else rich.  Everyone has to pay to join the club and if you can't or won't you don't get admission.  The NFL is extremely owner driven.

The NBA became immensely boring post Magic/Bird/Jordan for me -- can only take so much slam dunking and the sort.  All the preening and posing and the sort just bores the crap out of me.  No reason to watch basketball save for the last 5 minutes of any game and in those 5 minutes you'll see more chest thumping and self promotion than the NFL allows in a full season.

It's nice to see the NHL overcoming their issues and start growing in popularity of late -- I wish the US feeds would take up some of what the Canadian networks do as far as televising the game...  Their telecasts are so amazing compared to how slow and boring it can look stateside.

Personally, I think a lot of the issues in MLB may be a result of people caring more about MLB and it's history..  People have a tendency to romanticize the game -- it's easily the slowest evolving of any sport.

Baseball was just perfected long before the other major sports.

Goodell is great if you are for LA never getting a NFL team.  Honestly I can't stand the salary cap in football with massive parity in the sport.

then you can say goodbye to the green bay packers, because without the salary cap structure of the nfl no team in a small market like green bay would even exist, much less be one of the beacons of the league.

i'd like baseball to have a salary cap not because i give two craps about how much the players make, but moreso toward the fact that once shining franchises have become insignificant in this landscape.

i realize there are more mitigating factors than no salary cap that limit these franchises on field success, but the status quo has brought in and/or developed the type of owner that is willing to own these franchises, which is to say the type that owns purely for profit with no field success even considered.