• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

alden gonzalez projections on our current starting five

http://aldengonzalez.mlblogs.com/2014/01/15/do-the-angels-need-another-starter/

Honestly a lot better than I would have imagined. I still would like another starter to avoid the depth problems we will have if a guy gets hurt. We need to go into spring with a solid 5, skaggs in aaa and to be used as a spot starter, and Mulder solely as a possible nice surprise

I guess it is that time of the year and I am getting to be way too optimistic, but I have high hopes for the rotation.  Skaggs, in particular, has the potential to be a difference maker, and I still can't believe Jerry managed to acquire him (not to mention the criminally underrated Santiago). 

I'm really anxious to see if Skaggs' velocity picks back up.

One thing Jerry noted when the Halos first reacquired Skaggs was that his velocity dipped at the end of the year when young players velocity tend to dip a little bit anyway. Plus Skaggs is a really skinny dude, adding some strength to his frame could help him maintain the velocity maybe heading into this season. 

the halos needed two SP seasons worth of starts (60+) last year.  In any given season, you'll usually need at least one and you can't assume that your #6 will be good enough to make all those starts as well.  Probably 2/3rds, 1/3rd from your #6/7 guys. 

Right now our 6/7/8 is Shoemaker/Mulder/Blanton in no particular order. 

The top of our rotation have neither age nor injury history on their side.  The bottom of our rotation is inexperienced and none of the three have pitched an entire seasons worth of innings. 

There is no chance in hades that we get thru the year only needing our top 5, and I would work under the assumption that we are going to need at least 30 and probably closer to 45 starts from those not in the top five. 

This team seriously lacks depth and is absolutely gonna need it.  150-200ip from someone in the middle or even toward the back of the rotation may not add additional talent to what will amount to the starting five, but instead of 40 starts and a 5+era, you are looking at offsetting that by having someone make 30 of those with and era around 4-4.5

Edited by Dochalo

the halos needed two SP seasons worth of starts (60+) last year.  In any given season, you'll usually need at least one and you can't assume that your #6 will be good enough to make all those starts as well.  Probably 2/3rds, 1/3rd from your #6/7 guys. 

Right now our 6/7/8 is Shoemaker/Mulder/Blanton in no particular order. 

The top of our rotation have neither age nor injury history on their side.  The bottom of our rotation is inexperienced and none of the three have pitched an entire seasons worth of innings. 

There is no chance in hades that we get thru the year only needing our top 5, and I would work under the assumption that we are going to need at least 30 and probably closer to 45 starts from those not in the top five. 

This team seriously lacks depth and is absolutely gonna need it.  150-200ip from someone in the middle or even toward the back of the rotation may not add additional talent to what will amount to the starting five, but instead of 40 starts and a 5+era, you are looking at offsetting that by having someone make 30 of those with and era around 4-4.5

Way to bring us back down off our high Doc.   

Way to bring us back down off our high Doc.   

:)

I just don't want Joe Blanton anywhere near our depth chart. 

Last year's rotation had less talent, but fewer question marks going in imo.  We knew Blanton was gonna suck.  Hanson was the big question mark.  Weaver, Wilson, and Vargas were solid.  Freak injuries or not, our best depth pieces were Richards (who has now graduated to the rotation), and Williams (who wasn't all that great but serviceable).  As it stands, we may be worse off than last year in the depth department relative to the rotation. 

We can't rely on Mulder, I like Shoemaker, but he is untested, and Blanton still sucks.  Am I missing someone?  Jarret Grube?

don't get me wrong, I really like the potential talent of our top 5.  Way better than last year.  But I am fearful of what our 6/7/8 guys can provide.