• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rakuten Planning Record Offer For Tanaka

gotbeer

That's awesome.

This thing has to resolve itself at some point. I doubt anything happens before the end of the year as far as him getting posted then getting signed. But I'm assuming they make a decision soon, then the frenzy begins in January for all the starting pitchers.

It would be great to get a pitcher like Tanaka but does anyone here believe that he would sign with the Angels and get paid more than Weaver. I just don't think they go there.

I think Weaver and the Angels understand that getting a pitcher in free agency is WAY more expensive now. If Weaver had entered free agency, he would've got a 6/110 type of contract.

They can't not sign players based off of a signing we made several years back. Money is rising like crazy in the sport right now so I hope the Angels aren't considering Tanaka just because he'll get more than Weaver.

I think Weaver and the Angels understand that getting a pitcher in free agency is WAY more expensive now. If Weaver had entered free agency, he would've got a 6/110 type of contract.

They can't not sign players based off of a signing we made several years back. Money is rising like crazy in the sport right now so I hope the Angels aren't considering Tanaka just because he'll get more than Weaver.

I just can't imagine them paying Tanaka who's never thrown a pitch in a regular MLB game more money than our proven home grown loyal ace Weaver. I think that could backfire.

We can agree to disagree on this one.

I think it's a terrible way to run a team if you're worried about paying more for a player because he's more expensive than another guy. Weaver also turned down a bunch of money to stay here and didn't bother testing FA. Tanaka makes this team better and I'm sure Weaver is more concerned about the team doing well than a guy getting paid more than him. 

I just can't imagine them paying Tanaka who's never thrown a pitch in a regular MLB game more money than our proven home grown loyal ace Weaver. I think that could backfire.

Times change, salaries go up.   The Angels got a deal from Weaver, he chose to give it to them.  Unless there is some provision that nobody will ever make more money or get a larger deal... that's where the agreement ends.  The Angels were extremely fortunate to get that sort of an agreement out of Weaver -- but they would be extremely stupid to handcuff themselves in the future as a result.  

Ultimately the whole point of getting a team friendly deal is to be able to pursue other needs with the money.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Even if Tanaka has a down year, it may not affect his MLB contract that much (unless he gets injured). He has had 5 straight solid years with his best being in 2011. Simply insane numbers that season (1.27 ERA, 0.875 WHIP, 9.6 SO/9, 1.1 BB/9). If Rakuten does indeed pressure him to stay 1 extra year, he has every incentive to mail in the season. Why risk getting injured? He can even use that as an excuse when dealing with MLB clubs next season.

This was an odd conspiracy theory.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/12/masahiro-tanaka-rumors-sunday.html

Japanese newspaper Nikkan Gendai reports the Rakuten Golden Eagles may be delaying their decision so as to maximize the $20MM posting fee by taking advantage of the dollar-to-yen exchange rate (h/t Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times).