• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Home inspection

happybat4

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife and I are closing on are very first home (town home). The inspection is tomorrow. Do you guys have any tips. I will make sure to leave my dog in the car and to spit on the inspector when she is done. Now I just need a job to help pay bills.

Wait, aren't you the one dating the chick with a penis? 

i went through this recently on my 105 year old ph.

its fun. the idea is to spend a ton of time with the inspector and ask a ton of questions.

you want them to impart as much knowledge as possible so you understand the property and what might go wrong (normal wear and tear) and what you'll likely have to deal with first.

some basic tips:

- where do i turn off the water

- where is the circuit breaker - how does it all work

- are the windows in good shape, any sign of leaks?

- is the roof ok?

- what needs replacing next (maybe galvanized pipes somewhere, or water heater, furnace, etc)

- does he/she recommend any changes (they might recommend stuff like double pane windows or new locks or whatever)

Find out from the inspector what parts of the house they exclude. Some don't get up in the attic, some don't go down into the crawlspace, some don't really look at the foundation. Chimneys are big $ ticket items so make sure they inspect that to make sure there's no leaking or loose blocks, cracks, etc.  Always check around for water damage, those can be expensive fixes. Make sure you get close up to the drywall on your walls (if you have drywall). You can usually tell if there's a pattern change, or paint finish change that indicates somethings been fixed or altered. Sometimes minimal, other times not. Good luck!

I think you're trolling, but:

The problem is generally the seller pays for the inspection, so hopefully they picked a good one and not a buddy of the sellers Realtor. This is all dependent on how you filled out page two of the real estate agreement and who pays for what.

Regardless of area, mold.....always ask and even get involved about mold. Just about all homes have mold (it's wood, materials, and moisture) it's just to what degree and what's hazardous.

You've already signed your purchase agreement, but it's really important that under the home warranty that you have the roof and AC covered. I'm not sure a out Washington real estate contracts, but in CA it became such a big deal those are checkable items on the contract.

For the most part, I don't know many people that are even around for the inspection as it's done before closing. I like what Wicked mentioned and it will help you in the long run.

^ b i think you are talking about the appraisal.

agreed no one really goes with them. they do it and run comps and whatever. 

i think the seller might pay for it - i dont remember.

but its your lender that chooses who to use (they have companies they always work with). 

but i would never agree to use an inspector the seller chose.

up here the buyer chooses and pays.

you dont want the seller having any input on that whatsoever.

agreed on mold. mold is bad news. 

Happy, where in Washington have you moved?  My family relocated to southern Washington last March.  M-I-L purchased a home and has been fixing stuff since she purchased, some of which should have been caught by the inspector.  As in any profession, you have people who take pride in their work and those who skate.  Make sure the inspector goes into every orifice of the home checking for mold (as has been stated), rot, collecting water where runoff isn't sufficient, outlets, etc.  Turn on hot water everywhere (faucets, tubs, showers, flush toilets) and let run for a while.  You can find out real fast about any drain issues.  Hot water running out after 5-10 minutes could illustrate an issue with the water heater (i.e.  Can two people shower simultaneously and not run out of hot water?).  Good luck!

Happy, where in Washington have you moved?  My family relocated to southern Washington last March.  M-I-L purchased a home and has been fixing stuff since she purchased, some of which should have been caught by the inspector.  As in any profession, you have people who take pride in their work and those who skate.  Make sure the inspector goes into every orifice of the home checking for mold (as has been stated), rot, collecting water where runoff isn't sufficient, outlets, etc.  Turn on hot water everywhere (faucets, tubs, showers, flush toilets) and let run for a while.  You can find out real fast about any drain issues.  Hot water running out after 5-10 minutes could illustrate an issue with the water heater (i.e.  Can two people shower simultaneously and not run out of hot water?).  Good luck!

We are just east of Seattle in Kirkland. Thanks for the advice

Are the sellers offering to pay for a 1 year home warranty?

We might include that. We can get a 1 year warranty for around $400. If we find some stuff wrong we will try to get the seller to include it. The warranty does not include the roof. The house built in 1984. We have not found out yet if the seller has replace the roof while they lived there.