• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Kole Calhoun or Ginger God?

Hello! I recently wrote an article for another sports website I work on, and I thought it would be perfect to post it on here!

Upcoming and rising star of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim, Kole Calhoun has had the Angel’s fan raving about his ginger-ish locks and defensive power. From the moment Calhoun has set foot on to the field, he has proven why he deserved to be pulled up from Class AAA’s Salt Lake City Bees. While playing for the Bees, Calhoun batted at an average of .354 with a total of 12 home-runs, 49 runs batted in, and 10 stolen bases in under 60 games.

In the midst of Peter Bourjos’s injury, Kole was called up from Triple-A to help replace defensively in the outfield. Kole has made some astounding plays while playing right field. Whether it was a diving catch or his cannon ball arm, Calhoun has proven himself and the whole team that he has earned a position in the starting line-up. Batting wise, Kole Calhoun has earned himself 4 major-league homeruns in under 30 games. His current average is at .238, batting in 11 runs. Defensively and offensively, Kole Calhoun has shown us more than expected, giving him the nick name of “Lucky Ginger”.

Now that Peter Bourjos has come back from the disabled-list, many fans question what will happen to the outfield and Kole Calhoun? Calhoun was built around Bourjos’s injury. So far, Calhoun has had little to no flaws while playing ball in the majors. However, his main weakness he has is batting on outside pitches. Kole has not only performed well on the field, but he has also charmed several of Halos fans. He will definitely be a sight to see.

Calhoun has proven to me and several other fans that he deserves to continue to play with the Angels, but that is not our decision. Will they place him back in to MiLB, or will they keep him playing for the Angels in the big leagues?

How do you guys feel about it? Do you have any feed back for me?

The thing I like about Calhoun is that he's more than the sum of his parts. He's average to above average at just about everything, but not great at anything. He could end up hitting .280 with 15-20 HR, 60+ walks, 15 SB, play good defense at a few position, and be a 4-5 WAR player.

I'd rather trade Trumbo then Bourjos then Calhoun, not because I think Calhoun is better than Bourjos, or Bourjos is better than Trumbo, but because of perceived value vs. actual value. Right now Calhoun doesn't have the perceived value of Trumbo or Bourjos, but his actual value is similar.

Who knows what the offseason will bring, but it seems likely that at least one of the three will be traded, maybe even two. But one should be enough, and in my mind it should be either Trumbo or Bourjos both of whom could be the center piece in a package for a #2-3 starter.

I like what I see from Calhoun. Looks like he could be a David Murphy type, and I think he probably makes Trumbo or Bourjos expendable. Unfortunately, both Trumbo and Bourjos are killing their trade value.

That's a really good comp that I hadn't thought of, wopphil. Murphy's career triple-slash is .276/.338/.442, with an average of around 15 HR and10 SB a year - that's about what I think we can expect from Calhoun. Kole should walk a bit more, though, which could bring his value up a bit more.

I worry about using the word "star" which sets Kole up to disappoint. I think if we expect him to be a quality major leaguer, a "complementary player" to the stars on the team, then he won't disappoint. And of course I think he could be a bit more than that, I just think we should be a bit hesitant to expect more than a quality, average+ regular.

I think Murphy is a safe comp, but I believe Calhoun can outperform him personally. Calhoun's minor league numbers compared to Murphy's are much better. Calhoun's swing is a bit more compact, like Trout's, while Murphy's swing is a bit long. Calhoun has the better arm and a better basestealer. They're both about equals defensively.  

I think Calhouns floor could be pretty decent, and his ceiling could end up being a .850 OPS guy with 20 HRs and a .285 average throughout 162 games.

Biggest difference between him and Bourjos and Trumbo is that he is a patient hitter so he can even hit .250 and be an effective player because he will draw plenty of walks.

The other position players that they have produced like Howie, Aybar, Bourjos and Trumbo have all been hackers so its refreshing to see patient hitters like Trout and Calhoun come up.

A.J. and Chuck,

I think it's pretty clear that Calhoun has ascended the depth chart and is no longer considered an option in AAA.  Before this season, I wouldn't have dreamt of trading Bourjos who is a personal favorite or Trumbo, who is a hometown favorite.  But the circumstances have made it abundantly clear that these trades are beginning to make more sense.  Calhoun fits every hole this team has.  Left-handed, patient, defensively versatile, can hit anywhere 1-9.  

My question for you two is, who do you trade, Bourjos, Trumbo or both and if so, what teams would be the most interested?  I could see both making some degree of sense in Tampa Bay, Kansas City or Pittsburgh. 

Biggest difference between him and Bourjos and Trumbo is that he is a patient hitter so he can even hit .250 and be an effective player because he will draw plenty of walks.

The other position players that they have produced like Howie, Aybar, Bourjos and Trumbo have all been hackers so its refreshing to see patient hitters like Trout and Calhoun come up.

exactly.  even when they aren't hitting well, patient hitters with good discipline can help the team.  The guys dependent on batting average seem more prone to slumping. 

I think for the first time, I could easily envision the Angels becoming sellers in the offseason, trading Trumbo, Bourjos and Kendrick, and yet still entering 2014 with some optimism and excitement over the likes of Grant Green, Luis Jimenez and Kole Calhoun.  Every team over rates their own prospects, but on a team with the recent history the Angels have, seeing those guys leave it all out on the field for the league minimum would be something I could embrace as a fan. 

A.J. and Chuck,

I think it's pretty clear that Calhoun has ascended the depth chart and is no longer considered an option in AAA.  Before this season, I wouldn't have dreamt of trading Bourjos who is a personal favorite or Trumbo, who is a hometown favorite.  But the circumstances have made it abundantly clear that these trades are beginning to make more sense.  Calhoun fits every hole this team has.  Left-handed, patient, defensively versatile, can hit anywhere 1-9.  

My question for you two is, who do you trade, Bourjos, Trumbo or both and if so, what teams would be the most interested?  I could see both making some degree of sense in Tampa Bay, Kansas City or Pittsburgh. 

my name is neither AJ or Chuck :)

I would trade Trumbo - he's the most one dimensional.  Even if you decide to put Trout in CF and play bourjos only part time, he is a defensive replacement and pinch runner.  Trumbo is a poor to maybe slightly below average defender and with Calhoun able to play 1b, it make him expendable.

Plus, AJ has touched on this in the past.  Trumbo's value on the market is likely greater than his value to the team and in particular the fact that it's easier to replace a low avg, low obp, poor defender with power than it is a avg hitter, avg obp with tremendous defense and good speed. 

I like the idea of Tampa, KC, Washington, Pittburgh, maybe Boston, NYY, Cleveland, Colorado. 

The thing I like about Calhoun is that he's more than the sum of his parts. He's average to above average at just about everything, but not great at anything. He could end up hitting .280 with 15-20 HR, 60+ walks, 15 SB, play good defense at a few position, and be a 4-5 WAR player.

I'd rather trade Trumbo then Bourjos then Calhoun, not because I think Calhoun is better than Bourjos, or Bourjos is better than Trumbo, but because of perceived value vs. actual value. Right now Calhoun doesn't have the perceived value of Trumbo or Bourjos, but his actual value is similar.

Who knows what the offseason will bring, but it seems likely that at least one of the three will be traded, maybe even two. But one should be enough, and in my mind it should be either Trumbo or Bourjos both of whom could be the center piece in a package for a #2-3 starter.

Dangle all three along with Kendrick and see which two of the four can bring us two quality pitchers!