• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Lakers Thread

Punk

• 2 weeks later...

I'm ok with Walton. Very high BBall IQ. Always thought he would make a great coach. Always knows where players should be off the ball. Understands all of the little things. Definite upgrade from Byron Scott. I just don't know if he's intriguing to top FAs across the league.

wow, ballsy move by walton.

the lakers are not close to competing, and the top brass said straight up they will walk after this year if the team doesn't turn it around.

one would expect him to stay in golden state, keep learning from kerr and the best org in the game, get another championship or two, and then move on.

but it sounds like it's walton's dream job.

good on him for going for it when it's available.

I actually believe that the Lakers could get a lot better this offseason under Walton.  Exchanging Luke for Byron is probably worth a few W's just with the new offensive style Luke will be implementing, putting players in better positions to score. With $62 million to spend on free agents, there is a great opportunity to improve the talent level of the team.  Not sure if someone like Kevin Durant would come but it is certainly possible in the slimmest of circumstances.  But, there are several free agents that are potentially obtainable that would make us better (UFA's Derozan, Bazemore, Batum, Whiteside, Horford, plus a few more; RFA's Barnes, Ezeli, etc.).  There is also the opportunity to improve via trade.  Could Jimmy Butler be acquired with a top pick in the draft?

Can one imagine a lineup like (*rookie):

PG:  Russell/Clarkson

SG:  Derozan/Williams/*Caris LeVert (Michigan)

SF:  Bazemore/*Ingram (Duke)

PF:  Randle/Nance

C:    Whiteside (or Biyombo)/Black/*Thon Maker or Prince Ibeh (need to acquire another 2nd rounder)

OR

PG:  Russell/Clarkson

SG:  J. Butler/Williams/*Caris LeVert (Michigan)

SF:  K. Durant/Butler could play here and Clarkson slides to SG

PF:  Randle/Nance

C:   Whiteside (could be replace with someone like Horford or Biyombo)/Black/*Maker or Ibeh

**In either lineup, it might make some sense to stretch Swaggy and find a trade partner for Lou Williams to clear some salary.

I like these teams because there are multiple personnel for different lineups.  You could play Russell at PG or SG; Clarkson at PG or SG; Butler and Derozan at SG and SF; Durant could likely play SF and PF in a small ball lineup; Nance could play PF or C in small ball lineups.  Lots of flexibility to get shooters and athletes on the floor.

I love Luke and hope he does well. Going to be quite a shock for him to go from one of the most talented rosters in the history of the NBA to whatever the Lakers have.

I think Luke might relate well to FAs so maybe the Lakers can actually bring some talent in.

The 39-4 start as head coach has to be helpful.

I dont understand why people think the Lakers' are so far away from being a playoff contending team. There is a difference between playoff contention and championship contention. Obviously, the goal is to get to championship contention. We've got a solid young core with Russell, Randle, and Clarkson. We've go over $60 million in cap space. There are some serious solid pieces available this offseason and we have a solid shot at a top 3 pick this year. Maybe I have my homer goggles on, but it seems like a damn good position to be walking into if both sides understand its a growing process. 

I dont understand why people think the Lakers' are so far away from being a playoff contending team. 

i'd like to introduce you to roy hibbert.

in hockey, we say a slow guy is a pylon. i'm not sure what the basketball equivalent is, but roy hibbert is it. not as lazy on defense as james harden, but pretty darn bad. hope his tenure here is done.