• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Pocket Aces

Weaver is a Ace (some here think different)

Blank is a Ace (just have to fill in the blank)

The top teams to go deep into the playoffs usually have two Aces in the hole. Some of you may or may not agree with that theory.

Signing Vargas or Garza would be nice but I prefer they go after a Ace caliber pitcher. I think it would be essential is making the playoffs and going deep into them. Looks like a trade may be in order for that to happen.

pocket-aces.jpg

Edited by Troll Daddy

I don't think anybody here would be against the Angels adding an ace pitcher to the staff.  But teams tend to want to hang on to those guys, so if it's through a trade, they're going to have to give up A LOT.  Probably 2 of Kendrick/Trumbo/Bourjos, plus maybe even a minor leaguer or two.

It may be more cost effective to put together a much stronger bullpen.  Dipoto may have to revise his strategy, and go after the very best relief pitchers he can possibly find.  Trying to pull aces away from other teams is extremely difficult at best.   It's extremely demoralizing to the team as a whole when you can't hold leads, and the Angels have blown more than their share of leads this year.

Edited by tomsred

It may be more cost effective to put together a much stronger bullpen.  Dipoto may have to revise his strategy, and go after the very best relief pitchers he can possibly find.  Trying to pull aces away from other teams is extremely difficult at best.   It's extremely demoralizing to the team as a whole when you can't hold leads, and the Angels have blown more than their share of leads this year.

Certainly getting a top flight starter is hard but paying a lot for relievers hardly guarantees improving the bullpen at all. Relievers are generally the riskiest investments in baseball.

14 blown saves for the Angels

13 for the Tigers

15 for the A's

20 for the Red Sox

15 for the Rays

21 For the Orioles

etc.

14 blown saves for the Angels

13 for the Tigers

15 for the A's

20 for the Red Sox

15 for the Rays

21 For the Orioles

etc.

that doesn't take into account all the blown leads by the bullpen in late innings, just the official save opportunities that were blown in the 9th.

I would still MUCH rather see the team address the starting pitching over the BP.   

that doesn't take into account all the blown leads by the bullpen in late innings, just the official save opportunities that were blown in the 9th.

I would still MUCH rather see the team address the starting pitching over the BP.   

Isn't any lead blown after the 6th inning by a relief pitcher counted as a blown save? I don't think it is just blown leads in the 9th inning.

There's a new set of stats from fangraphs called shutdown and meltdown that are meant to track relatively close to saves but are based upon changes in win probability. Angels lead the league in meltdowns.

yep.  it's based on adding or subtracting relative to win probability.