• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Should the Angels trade Scioscia to the Phils?

summit21

Rumor has it the Phillies would be a good fit for Scioscia, so why not just trade him? If we release him we eat all that money, which he would likely get on the open market anyway...is it the years left that is the problem in a trade? Anyone care to elababorate on why a trade would or would not work???

Yes they do have Ryno, but there were no guarantees past this season for him to remain. He was announced as interim and this status has not changed. I think them along with many others would dump what they have to hire Scioscia. For the record I am not in favor of firing Scioscia, but would like to see something in return and not eat the remaining money if that is indeed the direction the club is headed. Scioscia is too much of a hot commodity to just release... 

Yes they do have Ryno, but there were no guarantees past this season for him to remain. He was announced as interim and this status has not changed. I think them along with many others would dump what they have to hire Scioscia. For the record I am not in favor of firing Scioscia, but would like to see something in return and not eat the remaining money if that is indeed the direction the club is headed. Scioscia is too much of a hot commodity to just release... 

He was announced as interim because, at this point in the season, any managerial change has to be interim.

The Phillies are playing well since he took over, so I would be surprised if they didn't remove the "interim" tag at the conclusion of the season.

I think some of you here underestimate just how valuable Scioscia is. He would be signed very quickly if allowed to leave. While I will admit that a trade is uncommon and unlikely, Scioscia is that rare manager that could be packaged in the right scenario. Despite some of the disdain and disgust with him from our fan base, he is highly regarded and respected within the game of baseball.

A side note on Sandberg and his long term future with the Phils, from the press conference:

"Amaro said Sandberg takes over on an interim basis and would be evaluated after the season. In his first game Friday night, the Phillies were shut out by the Dodgers, 4-0, dropping them to 53-68 overall and 5-20 since the All-Star break." Not exactly a ringing long term endorsement...

A side note on Sandberg and his long term future with the Phils, from the press conference:

"Amaro said Sandberg takes over on an interim basis and would be evaluated after the season. In his first game Friday night, the Phillies were shut out by the Dodgers, 4-0, dropping them to 53-68 overall and 5-20 since the All-Star break." Not exactly a ringing long term endorsement...

You aren't going to get a ringing endorsement before the end of the season, out of respect to Charlie Manuel IMO. Reading something into Amaro's comments doesn't create a market for Scioscia, especially not at $5M per.

Not quite.  

Piniella's trade to the Rays a decade ago wasn't because of that.

Guillen's trade wasn't because of that, either.  It was as much because the Sox were sick of Guillen as anything else. 

It's usually a unique set of circumstances in the rare instances managers are traded.

No, TB was a loser and wanted a change with a respected manager. Miami was trying to nail down a Latin market, as they had a whole marketing scheme that included a Latin manager and Latin stars like Reyes and Pujols.

In both cases the teams sought out the managers, nit teams calling others asking to unload their manager they didn't like.

You don't know much about the Piniella trade at all, obviously. Do some research, and you'll find that Piniella's decision to leave was highly personal, and the M's accommodated him. It was an emotional time for those of us who had Lou around for so many great years.

You can believe that Guillen's departure was only because of Miami's interest in him all you want, but if you use just a little bit of reason, I'm sure you'll figure out that's not quite the case.

Both situations were a lot more nuanced. Most trades involving managers have unique antecedents. It's fine that you don't want to acknowledge it, though.

Exactly.

No, TB was a loser and wanted a change with a respected manager. Miami was trying to nail down a Latin market, as they had a whole marketing scheme that included a Latin manager and Latin stars like Reyes and Pujols.

In both cases the teams sought out the managers, nit teams calling others asking to unload their manager they didn't like.

So why wouldn't teams come calling about Scioscia if he's so highly regarded around the league and the word is already out that He and Dipoto don't see eye to eye?

So why wouldn't teams come calling about Scioscia if he's so highly regarded around the league and the word is already out that He and Dipoto don't see eye to eye?

Your making the assumption that the team is ready to move on in a different direction and that he is available...I don't think this is the case yet.

I don't know if Scioscia will get traded or not, my guess is probably not. But he will not take much of a cut in pay when he goes on to his next team and it wouldn't surprise me if he gets a five year contract. Hate all you guys want but the second he is no longer our manager he will be the number one free agent manager on the market and teams will get into a bidding war for the guy.

You don't know much about the Piniella trade at all, obviously. Do some research, and you'll find that Piniella's decision to leave was highly personal, and the M's accommodated him. It was an emotional time for those of us who had Lou around for so many great years.

You can believe that Guillen's departure was only because of Miami's interest in him all you want, but if you use just a little bit of reason, I'm sure you'll figure out that's not quite the case.

Both situations were a lot more nuanced. Most trades involving managers have unique antecedents. It's fine that you don't want to acknowledge it, though.

Don't know much and don't care. Pinella had a sick family member in Tampa and the Rays needed a coach. They let him leave and got comped.

What many seem to forget is Guillen wasn't even traded. His contract was terminated but the White Sox still retained his rights for the additional year he was to have been coach. So yes, the Marlins did want him and were willing to part with compensation to hire him because it fell in line with their new stadium marketing strategy.

In both situations the Rays and Marlins had a choice of managers but preferred to lose compensation because they felt the need outweighed the comps. No one is lining up to try and consummate a deal for Sosh.