• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Opening Day Roster 2014

Trade anyone with a bat not named Trout for any pitching help possible. 

Re-sign Vargas.  Trade Howie, Trumbo, Aybar and Bourjos for as much pitching as possible.  One really solid starter with #2 potential. Hopefully a young near major league ready starter as well.  Load up on the pen side.  Dump Blanton.  Give Hanson a shot at working out of the pen.  If it doesn't work, dump him too.  Get prospects for Kohn, Jepsen and Frieri

SP

Weaver, SP from a trade, Wilson, Vargas, Richards

BP

Williams as the long man

DDLR

Burnett

Morin

Rasmus

New Guy

New Guy

New Guy

Luis Jiminez played SS tonight.  He, Nelson, Green, Romine, Lindsey, Field compete for 2b, 3b, SS, and two backup spots. 

Sign McCann.  Rotate him thru C/DH/1b.  Conger catches and does some DH.  Albert at 1st/DH

Trout, Hamilton and Calhoun in the OF.  Shuck as the 4th and some DH

Minor league depth

Starter from a trade

Maronde to AA and back to starting

Hanson

Boshers

Coello

Opening day lineup

Shuck DH

Calhoun RF

Trout CF

Pujols 1b

McCann c

Hamilton LF

Lucho 3b

Green 2b

Romine SS

Honestly, my biggest focus of the offseason would be the bullpen.  Make it top 10.  Mujica and two guys from trades.  You might be able to get McCann for a reasonable deal. 

If you can't get McCann, sign Morneau as a stop gap DH/1b to replace Trumbo. 

Say no to Garza and Cano. 

If we never signed the Albert Pujols we could have drafted Wacha I believe.

I expect Wacha's WAR > Albert Pujols WAR prior to Wacha reaching his date with free agency.

Awesomeness...

If we had made ZERO trades or acquisitions since Morales injury in 2010 (at which point I felt the Angels should have gone into a rebuild phase)

our team would look something like this:

Weaver

Corbin

Chatwood

Saunders

Skaggs

Bourjos (CF)

Segura (3B)

Trout (LF)

Morales (DH)

Napoli (1B)

Trumbo (RF)

Conger ©

Kendrick (2B)

Aybar (SS)

with more farm players in the pipeline, for well over half a billion dollars cheaper

Of course we would all love McCann (at least until he has his worst season of his career with us), but hes going to be a Brave for life. If we were to fix the catching position, i'd trade for Mesoraco or Hanigan( who we shouldve traded for instead of Iannetta).

This team still has hope for 2014:

1. Albert may not be his St. Louis self, but he could still be a .285 35 homer guy

2. Hamilton can only be > or = to his performance this year. The guy can literally only get better

3. Relievers (outside of the obvious names) are like catching lightning in a bottle (Gregg, Perez, Broxton, Pestano,etc...). Who's to say Jepsen cant repeat his 2012 season and Frieri cant return to form? You guys rag on the waiver pickups, but honestly when it comes to relievers, its unpredictable ( outside of Frieri "closing" against Texas, that is up there with Kimbrel and Mo in terms of consistant relieving).

4. We will not be trotting Blanton out there every 5th day, and presumably not Hanson as well. Re-sign Vargas, and we have 1 spot to fill, which needs to either be a 3 starter, or a prospect ready to make the jump (Gausmann, Martinez)

Garza is an above average NL pitcher who will cost a lot.

Totally disagree. He has been quite solid for the Rangers.

Considering the Rangers track record when they want somebody (Darvish, Beltre, Latin prospects, Andrus, Napoli as a catcher, Feliz) I trust their judgment. They have been after Garza for a few years now.

Totally disagree. He has been quite solid for the Rangers.

Considering the Rangers track record when they want somebody (Darvish, Beltre, Latin prospects, Andrus, Napoli as a catcher, Feliz) I trust their judgment. They have been after Garza for a few years now.

Exactly.  And you can't forget that Garza pitched well for the Rays for a few years too.  He can handle either league.  I see the Rangers offering him the moon to keep him.

I think most folks are putting what THEIR lineup is for next year, not what they think the Angels will do.  Two very different things, in many cases that's a good thing.  This is what I think the Angels will do, not what I'd do. 

CF Bourjos

LF Trout

DH Pujols

1B Trumbo

RF Hamilton

2B Kendrick

SS Aybar

C Iannetta

3B Green

BENCH: Shuck, Conger, Jimenez, Romine

Rotation: Weaver, Wilson, Garza, Hughes, Richards

Bullpen: Heath Bell, Carlos Marmol, Ernesto Frieri, Dane De La Rosa, Sean Burnett, Cory Rasmus and Joe Blanton

They'll win 84 games.