• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Bourjos to play through the pain

As long as the injury can't get worse wth playing time, why not?   There's only 50 games to go, and they don't have to play him every game, maybe for 2/3 to 3/4 of them.    Gives Trout, Bourjos, and Calhoun the chance to get used to playing as a unit in the OF, in case they trade Trumbo and make Hackilton the DH.

He's probably worried that if he doesn't come back soon he'll be Wally Pipp.

Pipp played three more years after his contract was purchased from the Yankees by the Reds. In 1926 his teammates sounded more like cartoon characters or a comedy troupe, Pipp, Cuckoo, Bubbles, Ivy, Babe, Pea and Doc.

They ended up 2nd in the NL that year. Bubbles hit .353 followed closely by Cuckoo hitting .350. Babe Ruth hit 12 more home runs than their entire team combined.

Pipp played three more years after his contract was purchased from the Yankees by the Reds. In 1926 his teammates sounded more like cartoon characters or a comedy troupe, Pipp, Cuckoo, Bubbles, Ivy, Babe, Pea and Doc.

They ended up 2nd in the NL that year. Bubbles hit .353 followed closely by Cuckoo hitting .350. Babe Ruth hit 12 more home runs than their entire team combined.

Just looked at that roster. Mul Holland? Rufus Meadows?

They don't name 'em like they used to.

I disagree. If they're healthy, why not play? Also, I don't think the playoff competitors nor MLB would appreciate it.

If your in pain, then you not 100% healthy.  That is why I am wondering if he should shut down for the season.  I agree with you, if your healthy you should play.  But obviously being in pain maybe he should wait.    

I think they should just let Calhoun play out the rest of the year and see what he's got.  If he looks good, flip Bourjos for a starter in the offseason.  He seems a little fragile, but I'm sure there's somebody out there that would like that combination of speed and defense (and a low salary).  

If Calhoun looks awful, no harm, no foul.  Bourjos heals up in the offseason and comes back next year.  At this point, the Angels' season is done.  There's no need to put 2014 at risk.  They're going to have a tough time putting a decent pitching staff together as it is.  There's no reason to risk not having one of their position players early in the season.  They play badly enough in April already.

The pain is worrisome. Not need to jeopardize the future for a few games that at this point probably won't make a difference. Plenty of players play through the pain and do okay. But an even larger percentage end up hurting themselves even more. Matt Kemp anyone?

No need to be gritty. Were not even in this race anymore.