• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Season Seat holders 2014 Invoices

ispy45

Interesting.

and it's sort of a perfect storm situation which many of us predicted could well happen at the start of the season (actually, at the time the new realignment schedule was released).

The multitude of Houston weekend games and the schedule in general which put a lot of the premier games (by design) on weeknights........

the MLB thinking apparently is that fans will flock to those games and increase the traditionally lower attendance weeknight games while 'weekend' fans would still come even if the opponent is Houston and some team like that.

It appears (and many of us predicted this would happen -- particularly in S. Cal) that MLB got it wrong.  Fans that are busy on weeknights remain busy on weeknights and others who might get those tickets are either equally unavailable or are unwilling to pay higher prices (for premium games) on a weeknight.......and then, given a choice on weekends, fans choose the beach and/or other activities over the Astros -- and, by the way, the re-sale potential of those Houston weekend tickets are fairly low..........

add to all this -- another disappointing Halos season literally from opening day -- and the inevitable attendance drop has occurred.......now the price discount to beg season ticket holders to re-up.

good for the Halos for realizing the product is weak and a price break needed -- but it's a sad reflection on a number of things -- the state of the Halos, the state of MLB as a whole......and, also, I think, an admission that the move to Ticketmaster from Stub Hub back-fired.........

Interesting.

The multitude of Houston weekend games and the schedule in general which put a lot of the premier games (by design) on weeknights........

the MLB thinking apparently is that fans will flock to those games and increase the traditionally lower attendance weeknight games while 'weekend' fans would still come even if the opponent is Houston and some team like that.

This doesn't make any sense.  MLB isn't doing any schedule goosing - if 'premier' teams like Bos and NYY are playing here on the weeknights, they are playing somewhere else on the weekend.  Its a zero sum game - the Yankees play the same number of road weeknight games and road weekend games as anybody else.

If the Astros are playing in Anaheim three weekends, they are playing some other AL West team more on the weekdays.  The Angels got the short end of the straw with drawing Houston three weekends.  I am sure the Angels front office let MLB know about it, and it will even out in the future.

yk9001 -- disagree.

I think MLB did an analysis and changed the schedule -- the reason I say this is past MLB scheduling was pretty predictable -- once the schedule was set (quite a number of years ago), the schedule remained fairly much the same with a few tweaks from year to year but the 'master schedule' remained pretty much the same.........you could almost predict which teams would be coming into Anaheim (and the West Coast) by month and by week.........it stayed fairly consistent for years........

those who bought tickets for specific games/ opponents could pretty much count on , let's say, Cleveland coming in during a specific week (often a series second / third week of August with a 1 o clock day game on get-away day Wednesday or Thursday.........(that remains the case this year, BTW).......I mean, I bought tickets to that August series game in 1995 and it hasn't changed much,

But this year's schedule seem strategically changed -- with realignment providing the reason for MLB to do so........THREE weekend home series vs. Houston,  It's more than coincidence or loss of a coin toss........

And the Angels attendance has suffered.

Now some say, well, it can all be fixed by a winning team -- and that's always the best medicine for recovery of falling attendance.......however, in this era -- and particularly in S. Cal......I think the issue may be larger than that -- very simply the core base of  hard core baseball fans is shrinking.........many long term season ticket buyers are getting older and attrition is occurring that way; newer season ticket (or even mini-season ticket holders -- and the Angels seem to be of conflicting minds on this given the year -- encourage such mini season ticket sales or discourage them -- those of us here have been through the swings of policy on this -- with attendance down, Angels may be encouraging mini-season ticket plans next year -- a return to Stub Hub would help).

But S. Cal folks can find other things to do and do so fairly quickly and just as Time Warner / CBS may find out in their current circular firing squad battle -- once fans find another outlet for their spendable dollars -- they may not come back...........

With baseball teams having the (active) shelf life or their stars, three to four years max on the same team (except for paying contracts, Pujols -10 years, Hamilton, 5) no wonder fan loyalty is fleeting and folks feel less connection to MLB teams than in year's past............

Kudos to the Halos for lowering season tix prices for 2014........it's a start.

But this year's schedule seem strategically changed -- with realignment providing the reason for MLB to do so........THREE weekend home series vs. Houston,  It's more than coincidence or loss of a coin toss........

This still makes no sense to me.  I checked the schedule... Seattle gets three weekday home series with the Astros and no weekend series.  Explain the rationale for MLB to do this. (I am saying it is random 'bad' luck for the Angels)

I won't be renewing my diamond club seats this year after 10 years of having seats. The Angels organization is in a mess, that and the lack of stuff in diamond club compared to other stadiums made my decision for me. 

Oh so you got your seats right after Angels won the WS? I'm not surprised a lot of those fans are dropping off now. 

• 1 month later...