• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

So umm.. thoughts on Jerry Dipoto

NrM

If only Reagins would have signed Beltre and kept Napoli we wouldn't have had all these problems over the years.

For the record I was vociferously for Beltre and was perhaps the chairman of keep Napoli dump Mathis brigade. I blame Scioscia.

The decision to go with Wells over Beltre, for roughly the same cost, while simultaneously dumping Napoli, was a pivotal, defining moment. We not only cost ourselves 6+ wins for each of the last three years, we gave those wins to Texas.

I hope you are kidding with this statement. Reagins was the one who traded those three...to Dipoto in AZ.

Dipoto was told to dump salary during his 5 weeks as the interim GM and we needed a frontline starter like Haren. Even Dipoto didn't know much about Corbin or Skaggs and the Diamonbacks fans were upset with the deal at the time. Dipoto's focus was to get Saunders. It was a better deal for the Angels in the beginning just like the Segura for Greinke deal. Dipoto was quickly replaced by Towers right after the deal was made.

Dipoto was told to dump salary during his 5 weeks as the interim GM and we needed a frontline starter like Haren. Even Dipoto didn't know much about Corbin or Skaggs and the Diamonbacks fans were upset with the deal at the time. Dipoto's focus was to get Saunders. It was a better deal for the Angels in the beginning just like the Segura for Greinke deal. Dipoto was quickly replaced by Towers right after the deal was made.

AZ fans were pissed that the FO was dumping the Diamondback's ace and they, the fans, knew nothing about the prospects they were getting so the FO had to sell it as they were getting a "proven winner" in Saunders.  To claim Dipoto and co. didn't know who they were getting in Corbin and Skaggs is some major spin.  I get it, you don't like what's happening to the Angels, but, please, have some sense. 

AZ fans were pissed that the FO was dumping the Diamondback's ace and they, the fans, knew nothing about the prospects they were getting so the FO had to sell it as they were getting a "proven winner" in Saunders.  To claim Dipoto and co. didn't know who they were getting in Corbin and Skaggs is some major spin.  I get it, you don't like what's happening to the Angels, but, please, have some sense. 

Dipoto knew what he was getting in Corbin and Skaggs + Saunders but I mean even if they didnt work out...3 lefties that can start or relieve have immense value..what could be better?   Dipoto was lucky to be able to take advantage of a complete moron of a GM named Reagins.  The same guy who traded for Wells & took his entire salary & gave up value in return to the blue jays....in other words he took advantage of a total incompetent idiot.

The non-reagins trades he has made have been mostly terrible, and pretty devastating to the organizations future.  he should be fired for that.

Not even Jerry Dipoto could have expected Patrick Corbin's 2013 ...
www.sportsonearth.com/article/49593650/‎

You mean he didn't see him as a potential Ace/Cy Young candidate this early when he traded for him as the Diamondback's GM?  Shocker

No one did...what's your point? 

You mean he didn't see him as a potential Ace/Cy Young candidate this early when he traded for him as the Diamondback's GM?  Shocker

No one did...what's your point? 

No one did......that would include Reagins, Scioscia, Stoneman and Dipoto. All prospects are a crapshoot. This trade was a salary dumping and even Skaggs was a PTBNL.

No one did......that would include Reagins, Scioscia, Stoneman and Dipoto. All prospects are a crapshoot. This trade was a salary dumping and even Skaggs was a PTBNL.

Skaggs was clearly a top prospect/the main piece.  He was only a PTBNL because he couldn't be dealt until later because of the draft rules.

Which can go for a lot of these "I told you so" threads...Alex Torres, Jean Segura, Patrick Corbin, Tyler Chatwood, etc...all these guys were question marks and yet Reagins/Dipoto SHOULD have known what they'd be doing right now.   

Which can go for a lot of these "I told you so" threads...Alex Torres, Jean Segura, Patrick Corbin, Tyler Chatwood, etc...all these guys were question marks and yet Reagins/Dipoto SHOULD have known what they'd be doing right now.   

Well, they should have known when they didn't know because they traded them to teams that didn't know but gave up MLB talent and later surprised by them, no one should have not known that was going to happen.

Just saving Hamilton the time to explain things.

Each trade individually doesn't mean a lot, although trading TWO lefty prospects is rarely advised.

But together, that's a lot of talent dealt away since August 2009 that is looking solid now (Segura, Torres, Corbin, Skaggs, and Chatwood), with two of those 5 already becoming an All-Star (Segura and Corbin). 

Collectively, we got back in exchange a rental pitcher (Grienke), a pitcher who gave us 1 1/3 solid years of pitching (Haren), a pitcher who had one good month and otherwise failed (Kazmir), and a catcher who can walk and hit the occasional HR but can't do much else (Iannetta). 

I already vented all I could and then some.

Now the question is, how to prevent this in the future?

Yep that's why Reagins was demoted by the Angels and Dipoto was not given the permanent GM job in Arizona. That dumbass Reagins drafted Mike Trout. If he doesn't leave because of the longterm mess created by Dipoto he might end up being the greatest Angels player ever. Go Figure. 

Yep that's why Reagins was demoted by the Angels and Dipoto was not given the permanent GM job in Arizona. That dumbass Reagins drafted Mike Trout. If he doesn't leave because of the longterm mess created by Dipoto he might end up being the greatest Angels player ever. Go Figure. 

My take on the Reagins and Dipoto is both seemed to be pretty competent in their jobs building and managing the farm system, but not so much in their role as GM (which involves negotiating trades and free agent deals, as well as occasionally talking the boss out of making bad decisions). Dipoto's best move, as others pointed out, came as a result of taking advantage of Reagins.

My take on the Reagins and Dipoto is both seemed to be pretty competent in their jobs building and managing the farm system, but not so much in their role as GM (which involves negotiating trades and free agent deals, as well as occasionally talking the boss out of making bad decisions). Dipoto's best move, as others pointed out, came as a result of taking advantage of Reagins.

Completely agree. They both should have stayed with their scouting departments. 

It's not like Bane lit the world on fire.  Trout was great but after that........

He did take the gamble on Weaver, plus he drafted Nick Adenhart and Trumbo in later rounds in that same 2004 draft.

But after that, not many solid stories from 2005-2008 other than Bourjos, Conger, and Chatwood, although he did draft Harvey.

And then 2009 was Bane's best draft with Trout, Grichuk, Skaggs, and Corbin in the early rounds alone.

2010's draft was what did Bane in ultimately, as he had 5 picks in the first 40, and really only two (maybe 3) have any kind of future (Cowart, Lindsey, and MAYBE Bedrosian).

There was close to zero gamble on Weaver in the draft.  He was the best pitcher in college that year.

The salary was the gamble.   That's why it took until almost a year later for him to sign.

In addition to the 2010 draft, the other thing that may have happened was that the org may have soured on Bane's high risk/high reward philosophy that produced some great prospects but also a lot of underacheiving ones which helped to thin out the depth on the farm.   It was almost like all or none with his picks.  

That being said, he was always gracious enough to contribute to this site, and for that I will always respect him.