• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels sign Pillar

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

In my opinion it’s less about Pillar and more about roles. If he’s the 4th outfielder then fine.  If he’s starting all the time then that’s the problem. 

^^^^. Initially I was rolling my eyes, but it makes sense. Pillar is just here, hopefully, to play when Ward, Adell, or Moniak need a true breather. Adams or whichever youngster wouldn't benefit from sitting on the bench here, and if they were playing, would be taking away time from Moniak. 

I said elsewhere, but there's a silver lining here. Adell and Moniak have had enough time in the bigs now where, by end of 2024, the Angels should be able to know if they're legit options going forward or not. And neither were getting consistent playing time so far. This allows that. It'll give the Angels enough of a timeline to see if either can really be counted on 2025+ onward, or if it's time to cut bait and pursue an OF in the winter.

3 hours ago, totdprods said:

^^^^. Initially I was rolling my eyes, but it makes sense. Pillar is just here, hopefully, to play when Ward, Adell, or Moniak need a true breather. Adams or whichever youngster wouldn't benefit from sitting on the bench here, and if they were playing, would be taking away time from Moniak. 

I said elsewhere, but there's a silver lining here. Adell and Moniak have had enough time in the bigs now where, by end of 2024, the Angels should be able to know if they're legit options going forward or not. And neither were getting consistent playing time so far. This allows that. It'll give the Angels enough of a timeline to see if either can really be counted on 2025+ onward, or if it's time to cut bait and pursue an OF in the winter.

Could Hicks not have done that?

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Erstad Grit said:

It made sense to trot him out and see if he had anything in the tank, as it would either have been good for the team or good for his trade value. He sucked so they cut him to make way Adell and Moniak to have more playing time. Just a timing thing with him being cut before Trout got hurt, so Pillar is here to hopefully just be on the bench. I imagine he has a short leash too.

Edited by totdprods

2 hours ago, TheLordofOuts said:

Can he pitch?

2 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

That is a fair question to ask positional players on this crappy team

He pitched 1/3 of an inning for the Mets in 2021 and retired the only batter he faced!

14 minutes ago, Tank said:

if i were michael hermosillo, i'd try to find a batting cage and take a few hacks right about now.

@Second Base would co-sign on that one.

On 4/30/2024 at 11:21 PM, Erstad Grit said:

Gotta wash the hands. Don't need to give the fans a daily reminder Hicks stunk as the offseason's 4th OF solution, and at one point the Angels batted him in the meat of the order as if he might be a key contributor or something. You're right in that the results between Pillar and Hicks almost certainly would've done the same, they are just scrambling to manage PR.