• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread (4/19/24 3:40pm Pacific): Angels @ Reds: Anderson on the mound, Drury at DH

1 minute ago, OregonLAA said:

Babip is the highest of his career and his WRC+ is the lowest of his career. Gonna have to disagree with you here. Wrc+ is 77. Seventy fucking seven. And people are acting like he’s on fire lol

Appreciate the effort to back up your opinion with stats, now let's work on actually understanding how to use them.  His "career best BaBip" is all of 0.08 above his career average -- sample size matters which is why it was sitting at .000 after his first five games and been stupid high in his last 12 -- the funny thing about "luck" is that it typically balances out over the course of a season.

The sample sizes are so insignificant right now that pretty much all the numbers, good or bad are just noise.

16 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Want to see him make fewer mistakes?  Play Hicks less -- he will learn.  Seeing him in a game over Hicks today with a lefty on the mound was surprising.

He may always make some mistakes, not great instincts, but there is only one way to find out what he can do. Play him, regularly. 

14 minutes ago, bloodbrother said:

What's the record for most SB in a game by a single player?

Pre-1901, it's 7 by Sliding Billy Hamilton.  In post-1901, it's 6 by a few guys--one of whom is Eric Young, Sr., oddly enough!  Others are Eddie Collins (twice), Carl Crawford, and Otis Nixon.

(Other slightly amusing side note: the modern-day Billy Hamilton once had 5 in a game...)

1 minute ago, DMVol said:

He may always make some mistakes, not great instincts, but there is only one way to find out what he can do. Play him, regularly. 

Yep. With Moniak also in the mix, there really is no reason to keep Hicks around. Send him on his way and use his bench spot on a backup MIFer/SS option

4 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

He's this generation's Aybar. 

In terms of baseball IQ, yes. 

But I don't think anyone will ever do the occasional random-ass-weird-things-that-somehow-worked-out like Erick Aybar. 

Even his first name is weird. I miss that dude. 

3 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Appreciate the effort to back up your opinion with stats, now let's work on actually understanding how to use them.  His "career best BaBip" is all of 0.08 above his career average -- sample size matters which is why it was sitting at .000 after his first five games and been stupid high in his last 12 -- the funny thing about "luck" is that it typically balances out over the course of a season.

The sample sizes are so insignificant right now that pretty much all the numbers, good or bad are just noise.

Fair. Was just trying to reply with his. And I got lucky when I looked them up that they were in my favor. Listen. 

I’m glad he’s playing ok. But it’s not what the team paid for and I care about the people as much as I care about their laundry they wear. He’s a clown of a person. I don’t like rooting for him.  I also think he was the last straw for Arte spending in free agency. I’d rather watch Rengifo over there every game. I’m just frustrated that Angel fans want to root for this guy so badly. 

And another infield hit 😂

20 minutes ago, OregonLAA said:

Nah. This ain’t it. I know we are stuck with him so I wanted him to hit lead off. That’s working. But it’s still really sad we are all happy with this performance from a guy who gets paid a ton and acts like a jerk. Are we really down that bad?

I actually think hitting him leadoff isn't working.  I mean, in truth I have no clue if he's trying to emphasis hits over power or if he's still building leg strength up but he's not really trying to load up much --if he was and the power wasn't there I'd be much more concerned his power is legit gone.  The other reason I think it's not "been working" his swing data.  He's posting near career low Z-swing% meaning he's swinging at fewer strikes than ever while at the same time putting up the best Z-contact of his career (97.1%) -- so he's making contact on 97.1% percent of the strikes he's swinging at.  It seems he's being a lot less aggressive than in the past, to his credit he's likely doing what they are asking of him but with a guy like Schanuel around putting mid 80s exit velocities and a great eye ... maybe he should be leading off.  I'm mostly watching the exit velocities because that's been steadily on the rise -- so, the hopeful part of me wants to believe it's a guy coming back from leg injuries that's building his strength as he goes along.