• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

SI: "After more breakdowns by Trout and Rendon, Moreno told Balelo early in free agency he was out on Ohtani"

4 minutes ago, stormngt said:

As i said at the time.  If you were not all in for extending Ohtani then you damn well should trade him.

I’m not sure Ohtani was ever seriously interested in staying either…🤷‍♂️

That same article said Arte decided they were the closest they had been in years and told Perry no trade, we're going for it. I am now almost certain Perry would not only have traded Ohtani, but would not have given up our #2, 3, 8, and 28 prospects for rentals. I just don't know if Arte chose the pitcher to trade for or told Perry he wanted a difference making starter. 

I think we're getting mixed info here. 

I think Arte was confident in keeping Ohtani if the Angels stayed competitive. That's why he went "all in". In hindsight that was retarded but at the time it made sense. Once the Angels completely fell apart I'm sure Arte wasn't as confident. Then he heard about the figures being thrown around and was like yeah no. I don't think he was ever interested in doing the deferred contract.

23 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

I agree but at deadline only 3.5 games back decision was made to go for it. 

Trout out, rendon out, Neto out, and Drury out.  He should have been traded.

According to the articke, Artie made the decision not to extend him early.  Which means he should have been traded the year before.

23 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

I think we're getting mixed info here. 

I think Arte was confident in keeping Ohtani if the Angels stayed competitive. That's why he went "all in". In hindsight that was retarded but at the time it made sense. Once the Angels completely fell apart I'm sure Arte wasn't as confident. Then he heard about the figures being thrown around and was like yeah no. I don't think he was ever interested in doing the deferred contract.

According to article, Artie wasnt intetested in negotiating in the offseason before his last year.  Did I misread that?

On 3/20/2024 at 6:44 PM, Chuck said:

Yep, I think I reported that here a few months back when I said that Arte wasn't going to go after any of the big free agents and especially the big three LHP's. 

He's been burned by FA's coming up impotent in production. 

Yeah, but which pitching free agents has he been burned by?

I mean, the only one that he ponied up $50 million plus for was CJ Wilson, who (despite frustrating the hell out of AW posters) was not exactly horrible...

5 minutes ago, Mark68 said:

Yeah, but which pitching free agents has he been burned by?

I mean, the only one that he ponied up $50 million plus for was CJ Wilson, who (despite frustrating the hell out of AW posters) was not exactly horrible...

He probably thinks he got burned on the Wilson deal because he was injured the last year and a third or so of the deal.

On 3/20/2024 at 9:22 PM, BTH said:

If he was smart, maybe he’d realize he should stop suggesting which players to sign and leave it up to his baseball people.

Ted Turner used to pay big money to players who he personally liked, with the belief that it would cause them to produce more. The Braves were generally terrible, wasting the most productive years of Dale Murphy (who I firmly believe would be in the HOF if he wasn't continually being pitched around because of a lack of talent around him). He turned things over to his baseball people and quit meddling. Within four years they won the first of 14 consecutive division titles.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

On 3/21/2024 at 1:11 PM, stormngt said:

That is entirely on Moreno and maybe the second worst baseball decision in history.

agreed. 

that jeff juden trade still haunts me.

On 3/21/2024 at 1:16 PM, DMVol said:

I’m not sure Ohtani was ever seriously interested in staying either…🤷‍♂️

I doubt that he was. The trade should have happened. Maybe he would have wound up extending wherever he was sent, somewhere other than the Dodgers.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan