• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

When will Boras panic over none of his 5 FAs signing?

When will Boras panic over none of his 5 FAs signing?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. When will Boras panic over none of his 5 FAs signing?

• When position players report
    • March 1
    • March 8
    • March 15
    • Start of regular season
    • Are you kidding? It’s Boras.

3 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Three weeks to season opener, are you panicking yet Boras and 3 of Boras 5?

The 2 clients that did sign so far got only 3 year deals.

Owners haven’t given in to Boras for a pleasant change.

Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t automatically root against Boras or hate this guy in any way.  He is obviously kind of obnoxious and tries to play hardball, etc.

But I am glad somebody is out there playing hardball with the owners.  The reality is systemically the owners cumulatively play kind of dirty because they never, ever share any real financial data with anybody (unless you are trying to actually buy a team).

So theoretically the only way a player is going to get what is “fair” in the overall relationship is to have the toughest, most stubborn, obnoxious, hardball-playing, scheming agent out there.

The owners can hate Boras all they want, but they created an environment to assure that someone like Boras would emerge.

Until I can see real financials on teams, I am going to assume that OVERALL the owners are far more likely to be getting over on the players than the reverse.

Boras seems like kind of a dick, but the owners are definitely dicks for never coming clean on what their side of the financials actually look like, so they reap what they sow.

Edited by Dtwncbad

Boras is just his job. After Ohtani, Yamamoto and even Glasnow signings by Dodgers looked like market would be really good for FA. It just went in other direction. Yankees I still think end up with Snell or Montgomery and Giants pick up a starter.

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t automatically root against Boras or hate this guy in any way.  He is obviously kind of obnoxious and tries to play hardball, etc.

But I am glad somebody is out there playing hardball with the owners.  The reality is systemically the owners cumulatively play kind of dirty because they never, ever share any real financial data with anybody (unless you are trying to actually buy a team).

So theoretically the only way a player is going to get what is “fair” in the overall relationship is to have the toughest, most stubborn, obnoxious, hardball-playing, scheming agent out there.

The owners can hate Boras all they want, but they created an environment to assure that someone like Boras would emerge.

Until I can see real financials on teams, I am going to assume that OVERALL the owners are far more likely to be getting over on the players than the reverse.

Boras seems like kind of a dick, but the owners are definitely dicks for never coming clean on what their side of the financials actually look like, so they reap what they sow.

Don't disagree with most of what you say....but, at some point, shouldn't an agent read the market and tell his guys, "this is probably going to be the best we can do"?  Chapman turned down over 100 million from the Blue Jays last year, undoubtedly with Boras' input. Did he read the market correctly?  If Snell turned down 6/150 from the Yankees in  January, as has been reported, will he make, either in a shorter term or longer term deal, at 31, 150 million before he retires?  I just think stubborn, obnoxious and hardball playing doesn't always serve the player well.  Most times, it probably does, but flexibility is a good thing. But that's just me.

32 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Don't disagree with most of what you say....but, at some point, shouldn't an agent read the market and tell his guys, "this is probably going to be the best we can do"?  Chapman turned down over 100 million from the Blue Jays last year, undoubtedly with Boras' input. Did he read the market correctly?  If Snell turned down 6/150 from the Yankees in  January, as has been reported, will he make, either in a shorter term or longer term deal, at 31, 150 million before he retires?  I just think stubborn, obnoxious and hardball playing doesn't always serve the player well.  Most times, it probably does, but flexibility is a good thing. But that's just me.

Good points but we really don’t know what has truly been offered and/or truly been turned down.  Both sides leak stuff to posture in the negotiations and we as fans have no way of knowing what’s actually real.

I’ll never understand fans hoping the players don’t get paid. The only reason we pay attention to sports is because of the talent on the field/ice/court. Because of the monopolistic draft and service time rules, most of them will never see the lucrative deals of big FA contracts. Most of the ones who get to FA will only ever see one big contract, while teams and MLB make tons of profit every year. I say, get your money. If the billionaires can’t afford it, then they are playing in the wrong sandbox.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Jeremiah said:

I’ll never understand fans hoping the players don’t get paid. The only reason we pay attention to sports is because of the talent on the field/ice/court. Because of the monopolistic draft and service time rules, most of them will never see the lucrative deals of big FA contracts. Most of the ones who get to FA will only ever see one big contract, while teams and MLB make tons of profit every year. I say, get your money. If the billionaires can’t afford it, then they are playing in the wrong sandbox.

I get that.   But as we see with Boras, it’s a different game from other agents.

Sometimes, it’s nice to see Boras put in his place.

Snell and Montgomery should have long since been signed and in ST by now.   Neither now should get an opt out after year 1 on a new contract, because that season will be disrupted.

Boras doesn’t seem to have taken into consideration the fallout from the RSN money issue in MLB.   He must have thought that $700 million for Ohtani and $325 million for a MLB rookie in Yamamoto gave him carte blanche?

Edited by Angel Oracle

8 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

I get that.   But as we see with Boras, it’s a different game from other agents.

Sometimes, it’s nice to see Boras put in his place.

Snell and Montgomery should have long since been signed and in ST by now.   Neither now should get an opt out after year 1 on a new contract, because that season will be disrupted.

Boras doesn’t seem to have taken into consideration the fallout from the RSN money issue in MLB.   He must have thought that $700 million for Ohtani and $325 million for a MLB rookie in Yamamoto gave him carte blanche?

Do you genuinely think an agent of Boras’s stature would not take things like that into account? The RSNs and the Dodgers deals?  I’m sure he had taken all of those things, plus other things we don’t into account. You and I don’t have to like or approve of Boras or any other agent. He doesn’t work for us, and we’re not involved in any of this stuff.

there's a point where a lack of a proper spring impacts the economics of any deal for these players.  

are we confident that Snell and Montgomery are going to be as good as expected in the first year?  

theoretically it might pull a couple starts out but preparing for the season while actually in season is much different than getting your reps in from the beginning.  

It could affect the entire year.