• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gut punch

Friday night (for me), grabbed a beer and picked up dog shit (hand wrapped in a bag style)

Turn the TV on and click on YouTube, and the algorithm had this throwback Ohtani story from way before most of us (or anyone) had ever heard of him.

Sat down, watched it. 

With hindsight, you watch it and go "gawdamn... crazy that he wasn't more hyped before coming over."

And now it sucks, watching this prologue to what was coming. And now it's over (for us).

Unrelated to the video, but talk about shitting in our face.... in the span of a year, he struck out Trout to end the WBC, then left to the Dodgers..

Lol. "Be happy to have loved and lost" I guess

https://www.cbs.com/shows/video/p3n8aD4vOE839JTmAX5PPP6Mn_tQ42vx/

Some here won't admit it but we all know that the Halos are pretty far away from being a championship caliber team. Ohtani knew that as well so I doubt it was a hard decision for him to make and none of us should be surprised he left. It's just hard to stomach that it's the Dodgers he picked. 

27 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

He saw a 5-10 year rebuild before we could get back to the playoffs, in other words most of the rest of his career, and left for better pastures. Simple as that. 

No competent team would take 5 years to rebuild let alone 10.

Trying to stay true to the title of the thread “Gut Punch”. . .

I do feel a bit gut punched.  But the more important thing is if I am winning the fight or losing the fight when I get gut punched.

I have felt recently that the team has done a better job drafting, distributing free agent dollars, and showing some good young players on the field.

So I felt like things were slightly improving and I was staying optimistic.  The gut punch is felt though.

The big question now is how many fans will fight through the gut punch or will they metaphorically let this punch make them tap out?

It sucks and I think about how much it sucks he joined the dodgers quite often. It doesn’t help living in So Cal and having tons of dodgers friends, they are all super happy and i can’t help but to feel a little heart broken one of my all time favorite players won’t wear Angels red. He just looked right in an Angel uniform. 

Like has been said, can’t blame him, Arte has driven this organization into the ground and continues to (the Clint hurdle thing comes off as petty and cheap). It would be nice if he showed that he has learned his lesson and we are changing our ways , but I guess not. If I was a free agent I wouldn’t sign with the Angels, as big as a fan of them as I am. They suck ass right now across the board. I think we will have a tough time competing with Arte as the owner and can only hope he chooses to sell to competent owners that care about a winning culture. 

43 minutes ago, Lhalo said:

It doesn't feel like a gut punch because I saw this shit coming years ago. The fact that the Angels got nothing in return and ended up with a sub .500 record over the last 2 seasons is comical more than tragic.

Exactly.  Not to be a dick, but I really don't know why people thought he would re-sign with the Angels.  If you were him, would you, given the last few years and what the next couple years might look like?  I get that we're all fans of the Angels here, but the outcome here should have been pretty obvious to any rational person.

1 hour ago, fan_since79 said:

He saw a 5-10 year rebuild before we could get back to the playoffs, in other words most of the rest of his career, and left for better pastures. Simple as that. 

In all honesty, I would be OK with a couple of mediocre seasons, if I knew that the Angels were now shifting their focus to scouting, drafting and development for the future. 

2 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

Exactly.  Not to be a dick, but I really don't know why people thought he would re-sign with the Angels.  If you were him, would you, given the last few years and what the next couple years might look like?  I get that we're all fans of the Angels here, but the outcome here should have been pretty obvious to any rational person.

I didn’t think he “would” re-sign, but I also don’t think it was automatic that he would leave.  And that’s because I have no idea what conversations he and the front office/ownership were having.  It always remained possible that there was  some sort of short and long term plan that he had enough accepted input on to have him be comfortable staying.

Clearly we now can assume that wasn’t the case, but I don’t think you could certainly conclude that until you saw what he decided.

10 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

Exactly. I don't think they know how to do a rebuild. 

All we have to do is wait for Hamilton and pujols to be off the books, I mean upton, shit I mean rendon….damnit, do you think trout will walk away from 7 years 240? I mean he should be worried about his reputation at this point.