• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Shohei Ohtani signs with the Dodgers (10 years, $700 million)

mmc

Anything less than a series championship will be a failure for the Dodgers. Making the playoffs is a given, considering the last number of years. 

But along the way they'll be raking in more money than ever before. 

As well, Ohtani just as a DH removes much of his mystique. Without the two way play or positional play you only see him four or five times a game. And he'll have to maintain his slugging numbers to still have the 'wow' factor. Obviously there will be a honeymoon period for the first part of the season. But if the team doesn't distance itself in the standings the pressure will increase. 

He's also going to a different league and facing teams and players he hasn't played regularly. So there's another factor in the equation. 

Even if he resumes pitching in 2025 he will have had a year with the Dodgers and won't be their mystery addition   anymore. Depending how 2024 goes, expectations and perceptions may be different than they are now. 

3 hours ago, cals said:

You guys are assuming a lot.  There is a very good chance he never pitches effectively again.  And remember early on when he was presumably anxious and couldn’t find the strike zone?  You think that’s going to get better now when he’s under the microscope?

He’s probably more likely to be an above average DH for the next 5 years then decline from there then he is replicate anything he accomplished on the Angels.

Hell, I really wanted him back but my main concern was just that, not what he got paid (except as to how it affected payroll in general).  

My prediction is the Dodgers get the Angels Pujols years, not the Cardinals years.

In Dodger lineup with Freeman batting behind you and Betts in front Ohtani should put up huge numbers. The years go by I think his pitching will be the biggest question mark. He will be a 45 to 60 HR hitter for many years. Barring injury on the basepaths Ohtani will be one of the better hitters in the game. No matter what you think of Ohtani he has been good for the game. It just did not work for halos for what ever reason.

23 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Yeah, but it's Ohtani, so he will turn into an endorsement from Tylenol and Lego.

Really, it's win/win.

He's already working on a deal to advertise reverse mortgages on his bat. Elbow pads sponsored by Tylenol, cup sponsored by icy hot. the guy has it all figured out. 

20 minutes ago, Lhalo said:

Typhoon insurance, anime addiction rehabilitation, pixelated dick pills, suicide forest hotline, etc...

Suicide forest! I've been to one of the entrances at the base of mount fuji...too creepy to go in. It was also december so i had 2 Mango Mochi between my legs. 

Edit: let me confirm, i was on tour with a band. Not because i was ready to leave lol.

Edited by Angelsfan1984

3 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

When Dodgers play Angels in Anaheim I wonder what kind of reception he will get. I would hope he gets a long standing ovation. Louder cheers when he strikeouts.

He will get a long standing ovation from the 35,000 Dodger fans in attendance.

11 minutes ago, mmc said:

Have you been to the San Francisco/Oakland area over the past 3-4 years? 

It absolutely has to have factored in to his decision, it would factor in to mine. 

Although Downtown LA is not much better...at least you can drive to Orange County and live in a relatively nice area around the beach cities. 

3 minutes ago, CaliAngel said:

Have you been to the San Francisco/Oakland area over the past 3-4 years? 

It absolutely has to have factored in to his decision, it would factor in to mine. 

Although LA is not much better...at least you can drive to Orange County and live in a relatively nice area around the beach cities. 

Has Ohtani ever been to Downtown LA, or Lincoln Park.  Hell, the back side of the stadium along Sunset Blvd is a fucking armpit.

He’s probably got a provision in his contract that he can carpool with Mary Hart and her old ass husband.  You know, for safety sake.

17 minutes ago, mmc said:

This is dumb , a LA version of it would be like saying I don't want to be a Dodger and live in Hollywood , Burbank , Westwood , Santa Monica , Brentwood , Bell Air or Calabasas areas because 1 - 2 square miles of downtown LA is a zombie apocalypse hell hole ... SF county like LA county is gigantic with the vast majority of places to live and go being very nice ... And lets be honest rich F are very good at being able to isolate themselves away from poorer people and use their influence to get cities to keep homeless boxed into specific locations away from anywhere they want to go on the regular 

Ohtani didn't pick the Giants because they're not that much better than the Angels and their playoff chances every year is a coin flip ... Ohtani picked the Dogshits because they're guaranteed to be in the playoffs year in and year out and if they finally win a World Series he (if he just plays decent) will get all of the credit of being the one to finally get them over the top