• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Shohei Ohtani signs with the Dodgers (10 years, $700 million)

mmc

Has anyone else noticed the ridiculous amount of spelling/grammatical/typographical errors committed throughout this thread? Especially in the first few pages. Were people just posting as quickly as possible?  Made it difficult to understand what some of you guys were saying at times. 

I only bring it up because usually the posting around here is usually pretty clean, so it really kind of stood out to me. 

Anyway...if the doyers could defer that much of his contract, why didn't the Angels? 

I would also like to echo a point I heard earlier which I thought was pretty good...we are perhaps already past Ohtani's best days, and were ANY of his seasons the past 6 years worth $70 million? I don't think so. So it's not far fetched to think there's no way they're going to be worth that in the future either. However, this definitely appears to be much more of a financial/marketing decision based off value, than based off anything Ohtani will actually do on the field, so...hard to blame the doyers. 

Wow, these numbers are crazy.

So my gorilla math says that current cap hit of $46 million on a $68 million payment to be made beginning in 2034 is about a 4.0% interest rate.

I would be very curious what the Dodgers non-deferred offer was.  4.0% seems really low for a decade long rate of return, so either Ohtani is an extremely nervous investor or the Dodgers were way below $46 million a year in a current money/non-deferred offer.

I would argue 8.0% is a very conservative rate of return that Ohtani and his agents should have been demanding.  If they did, then it kind of implies the Dodgers (and no one else) offered no more than $31.5 million a year!  Not likely. 

Bottom line, in my opinion, Ohtani's and his agents really badly here, in spite of the glowing headlines about "biggest team sports contact ever".

Edited by Lazorko Saves

2 minutes ago, CaliAngel said:

Has anyone else noticed the ridiculous amount of spelling/grammatical/typographical errors committed throughout this thread? Especially in the first few pages. Were people just posting as quickly as possible?  Made it difficult to understand what some of you guys were saying at times. 

I only bring it up because usually the posting around here is usually pretty clean, so it really kind of stood out to me. 

Anyway...if the doyers could defer that much of his contract, why didn't the Angels? 

I would also like to echo a point I heard earlier which I thought was pretty good...we are perhaps already past Ohtani's best days, and were ANY of his seasons the past 6 years worth $70 million? I don't think so. So it's not far fetched to think there's no way they're going to be worth that in the future either. However, this definitely appears to be much more of a financial/marketing decision based off value, than based off anything Ohtani will actually do on the field, so...hard to blame the doyers. 

I'm sure they would've if Ohtani came to them and said he'd stay if they did this, especially because I doubt Arte will own the team in 10 years

7 minutes ago, Sully151 said:

Shohei made $30 million from the Angels in ‘23, plus endorsements. Uses that money to fund the rest of his playing life while letting the Dodgers defer payment so they can spend at will for the next ten years on other top tier players.

Kind of genius.

But…

Shohei is kind of a dick.

Ohtanis Dodger career will be over and they will have still payed him less than the Angels did last year.

8 minutes ago, T.G. said:

You complain about the spelling and grammar and turn around and refer to Ohtani as "they."  I guess he changed his pronouns.

I was referring to his seasons with us, his performance as compared to how they will be the next 10 with they doyers.

They're not going to be as valuable as they were with us the past 6 years. 

3 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

All Ohtani is doing is putting money away for his retirement in 2034. We should teach all young people to do this. I wonder will he still draw a SSN at 65?

I think it's backwards of this actually.  The Dodgers are the ones putting the money away until 2034.  They'll almost certainly make a better ROI on it than Ohtani thinks he can, then they'll pay Ohtani later with either a portion of their return.  The Dodgers will come out ahead here.

1 minute ago, CaliAngel said:

I was referring to his seasons with us, his performance as compared to how they will be the next 10 with they doyers.

They're not going to be as valuable as they were with us the past 6 years. 

I was just messing with you.