• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2023-2024 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

Chuck

3 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

My sources (for real) say that the Angels aren't in on Montgomery, Martinez, or Pham at this point, for what it's worth. 

So if we do sign one, you're on my ignore list lol.

Pham doesn't make sense to me. Monty and JD do, especially if only to appease Trout. 

I think it is weird that Trout is asking for Pham to be signed. Did anyone else hear that?  Was he quoted as saying it?  Or is it Heyman saying Trout wants him?  It just seems like a weird signing with the construction of this team. 

3 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I think it is weird that Trout is asking for Pham to be signed. Did anyone else hear that?  Was he quoted as saying it?  Or is it Heyman saying Trout wants him?  It just seems like a weird signing with the construction of this team. 

https://nypost.com/2024/03/18/sports/mike-trout-pushing-to-make-it-work-with-angels-big-ticket-additions/

"So he continues to advocate for stars whose free agency has dragged into the latter part of spring — presumably two-time Cy Young winner Blake Snell plus Jordan Montgomery, J.D. Martinez and others (he specifically mentioned Tommy Pham, who he noted was a middle-of-the-order hitter in the World Series)."

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I did find it odd.

I thought Pham and Trout didn’t get along since because of the fantasy football debacle.

Maybe not.

1 hour ago, BTH said:

Montgomery doesn’t have a draft pick attached to him.

Yes I know.  I thought he could just wait until after opening day to avoid having it attached to him again.  If it’s July, then I messed up on this.

Just now, Dtwncbad said:

Yes I know.  I thought he could just wait until after opening day to avoid having it attached to him again.  If it’s July, then I messed up on this.

Oh I get it, so if he signed a one year deal, but that deal didn’t get signed until after opening day, then they couldn’t attach one to him after the season either.  

If what Chuck said is true that they offered him a 5 year deal and he refused, turn around and offer Montgomery a similar 5 year deal.  I can’t imagine the 5 year deal the Angels offered Snell wasn’t for at least $26 or so million.  Offer Montgomery $110-115 million over 5 years.

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

If what Chuck said is true that they offered him a 5 year deal and he refused, turn around and offer Montgomery a similar 5 year deal.  I can’t imagine the 5 year deal the Angels offered Snell wasn’t for at least $26 or so million.  Offer Montgomery $110-115 million over 5 years.

I agree with that, though I do wonder if Montgomery would take it given he doesn’t seem to prefer the west coast.

12 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I agree Pham does not make sense for this team.

6 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Ok, I get what you were saying now.

But I think he’s eligible to receive a QO next offseason regardless of when he signs, as long as he isn’t traded mid-season.

35 minutes ago, BTH said:

Angels offered 5 years how much?

Not that it matters he would be gone after 1.

Edited by Jay

Now that this is all over what I was told is that there were multiple offers that Boras presented to the Perry, Perry took each of them to Arte and Arte declined them all and told Perry to keep negotiating.  I imagine that the offers presented had early opt outs.  

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Angels offered 5 years how much?

Not that it matters he would be gone after 1.

I don’t know how much, but heard they didn’t view him as a $30 million pitcher.  So assuming that is true, then I would imagine it was $130-135 million? 

Just now, Stradling said:

Now that this is all over what I was told is that there were multiple offers that Boras presented to the Perry, Perry took each of them to Arte and Arte declined them all and told Perry to keep negotiating.  I imagine that the offers presented had early opt outs.  

I think he's just a Perry, not the only one. 

23 minutes ago, Stradling said:

So where do you think they go from here?

I know you’ve mentioned they offered Monty a deal earlier this offseason. Perhaps they revisit that?

1 hour ago, Taylor said:

If you were the reigning NL Cy Young, would you want to join the Angels?

If they would have caved to his opt out request they would have had him.

I was given very similar info on Snell from a member of the Yankees front office.  He didn't have specifics on whatever deal the Angels might be working on but he claimed an average of 35 mil or an opt out after one season was what they were hearing Boras was looking for or had set as a starting point.

The actual signing will get him close to the 35 Mil after the one season and gets him back out there next season year without the burden of the draft pick.

If Arte was the reason they didn't do it, then its maybe the first time I'm happy he interfered with his GM.

10 hours ago, Stradling said:

Montgomery isn't someone you go five years on.  He's not a stuff guy.  He's someone I wanted when I thought he could be had for 3, maybe 4 years but he apparently wants a lot more.  Dude can pitch, he's tall and left handed, those guys can often buck the norms but he's got a pretty good shot at going Patrick Corbin on someone.

Look at the bright side, Snell will likely be available again next season. 

2 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

Ah well.  It’s genuinely baffling what the Angels are doing.  Won’t trade to get prospects.  Won’t sign anyone, even relatively low risk short term commitments.  Still spending 170 million.  Just completely rudderless.  Not signing Snell on its own isn’t a big deal.  There’s plenty to not care for about his game.  It’s just the total non commitment to anything.  

Artes main achievement as the owner of the club is establishing being incomprehensible and incompetent as the teams most noteworthy brand. Jesus.  

He took one of the best run franchises in sports and ruined every single aspect of it from top to bottom. 
Im not mad about Snell not being signed, I just can’t believe what this old f**k has done to my favorite sports franchise