• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2023-2024 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

Chuck

https://www.mlb.com/news/predicting-where-6-top-free-agents-will-sign

Predicting where top 6 remaining free agents will sign

At the dawn of this offseason, we took a shot at predicting where some major free agents would land. Now that the offseason is in its twilight, there are still several big names still out there on the market.

So we revisited this exercise and had 43 MLB.com staff members weigh in on where they think six top free agents will be on Opening Day:

Blake Snell: Angels

There was a much wider spread among the votes here, with Snell’s destination becoming tougher to project by the day. The Giants and Yankees were also popular choices. But our voters see Anaheim as the reigning NL Cy Young Award winner’s next home.

For the Angels, starting pitching has been an issue for several years. Despite having Shohei Ohtani and Mike Trout on the roster together for six seasons, injuries and rotation woes have extended the Halos' postseason drought to nine years. And in the wake of Ohtani's move up the freeway to the Dodgers, the Angels have yet to make a big splash this offseason.

Enter Snell, who certainly meets both objectives after a season in which he led the Majors with a 2.25 ERA and 182 ERA+.

Other teams receiving votes: Giants, Yankees, Phillies, Blue Jays, Mariners, Mets, Brewers, Orioles

I'm taking a deep breath as the Angels slowly walk toward the starting blocks. My expectations were slipping even before the the thing with that new Dodgers utility batter-pitcher. But as I ended my sports hibernation and prepared for a mid-March fantasy draft, I noticed the CBS Sports' experts panel's Top 300 baseball list for 2024.  I scrolled down the lists of the three writers as well as the consensus list of 300 slots. Zach Neto was ranked at 260 on one list. The new Dodgers guy was in the 40s, possibly because he's just half there this season. The Angel who once topped that list every season has now fallen off the chart completely.

WE HAVE NETO! WE HAVE NETO!!

8 minutes ago, eligrba4ever said:

I'm taking a deep breath as the Angels slowly walk toward the starting blocks. My expectations were slipping even before the the thing with that new Dodgers utility batter-pitcher. But as I ended my sports hibernation and prepared for a mid-March fantasy draft, I noticed the CBS Sports' experts panel's Top 300 baseball list for 2024.  I scrolled down the lists of the three writers as well as the consensus list of 300 slots. Zach Neto was ranked at 260 on one list. The new Dodgers guy was in the 40s, possibly because he's just half there this season. The Angel who once topped that list every season has now fallen off the chart completely.

WE HAVE NETO! WE HAVE NETO!!

Trout needs to stop missing so many games.

On 2/9/2024 at 5:22 PM, ShotimeDynasty said:

How many times did Haselman send a runner that had no business going home or hold up a runner that would have almost certainly scored? Not to mention the time he sent Neto that resulted in a reinjured back. You really so sure Eric Young as third base coach rather than that bozo won’t directly result in some Ws?

The last two years, one thing that has stood out to me as just awful is the baserunning. Two embarrassing moments stand out -- Ward getting tagged out after rounding 1st, with Mashore standing 4 feet away from him and not telling him that Altuve was on the base. And Adell's baserunning debacle against the Blue Jays where he couldn't score from second on a double off the wall because he went back to the base. There are countless other times where guys just seemed lost on the bases. 

Then think about our fielding gaffes -- throwing to the wrong base, errors, etc. 

The bullpen will be better just by virtue of having a real life experienced manager there. 

And pitch tipping. I firmly believe Ohtani, Syndergaard, Detmers, and several relievers had issues with it. And the staff didn't catch it. 

So yes, a quality staff will make a difference. 

1 hour ago, ThisismineScios said:

The last two years, one thing that has stood out to me as just awful is the baserunning. Two embarrassing moments stand out -- Ward getting tagged out after rounding 1st, with Mashore standing 4 feet away from him and not telling him that Altuve was on the base. And Adell's baserunning debacle against the Blue Jays where he couldn't score from second on a double off the wall because he went back to the base. There are countless other times where guys just seemed lost on the bases. 

Then think about our fielding gaffes -- throwing to the wrong base, errors, etc. 

The bullpen will be better just by virtue of having a real life experienced manager there. 

And pitch tipping. I firmly believe Ohtani, Syndergaard, Detmers, and several relievers had issues with it. And the staff didn't catch it. 

So yes, a quality staff will make a difference. 

Good assessment, which I agree with.

13 hours ago, Stradling said:

Just sign Montgomery and Soler. Costs less per year than Snell and JD, but you’ll have to give Soler 3 years instead of one year for JD. But if you want to replace Shohei you sign Snell and JD. 

If the Halos sign either Soler or JD there has to be a corresponding OF trade, right? Saw a rumor floated that SD was looking at a Moniak trade.

Idk what kind of return would be coming back, but Moniak is one of the few guys we could trade where it might not have to be a “sell low” situation.. depending on how teams value his polarizing 2023 of course.

For the following players.  first number is max of what I'd be happy with, second is max I'd think is reasonable even though I wouldn't be overly thrilled. 

Bellinger 6/150, 7/175
Snell 5/125, 5/150
Montgomery 4/75, 5/95
Chapman 4/80, 5/100
Soler 2/36, 3/51

14 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

For the following players.  first number is max of what I'd be happy with, second is max I'd think is reasonable even though I wouldn't be overly thrilled. 

Bellinger 6/150, 7/175
Snell 5/125, 5/150
Montgomery 4/75, 5/95
Chapman 4/80, 5/100
Soler 2/36, 3/51

How about secondary Free Agents Clevenger, Lorenzen, Tim Anderson, Votto or JD Martinez

29 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

Bellinger 6/150, 7/175
Snell 5/125, 5/150
Montgomery 4/75, 5/95
Chapman 4/80, 5/100
Soler 2/36, 3/51

Bellinger, Chapman and Soler I agree with you.

Snell I’d go 6 and $170 million

Montgomery I’d go 5 $110

I think it’s gonna be difficult for the Angels to sign any of the remaining top free agents.

It seems like they may be waiting for prices to fall, but:

1) that may not happen.

2) even if it does happen, then other teams are gonna jump in the mix. Particularly ones that are more desirable to play for.

So the needle they’re trying to thread is waiting for prices to drop some, but not to the point where other teams jump in or the player decides to take even less just to play for a better team.

I’m on record as saying “no” to Snell, but if you could overpay on AAV and get him for 4/120 I would be on board with that.  Montgomery at 4/80 would be even better since he won’t cost the pick.

Same applies to Chapman- 3/65

Bellinger is the most tempting seeing as he can play OF and 1B.  Would definitely circle a 5 yr deal.  6 yrs would be a reach.  Plus there would likely be an accompanying trade of an OF for another starter  

Lorenzen at 1/5 is a no-brainer

i still say Bauer makes too much sense.  This teams rep is already at an all time low, just bring him in.  He will cost peanuts so you can just release him if it doesn’t work.  Snell/Montgomery + Bauer and the revamped pen vaults this team into legitimate contention. 

Love the idea of Soler or Martinez’ bat, but not at expense of clogging DH or blocking the young guys.  We need that spot for Trout/Rendon as well as getting ABs for our OF corp.

i would be very careful in giving out out any high AAV deals that stretch past the end of Rendons contract.  If the young players don’t come together, 2026 offseason may be a point to do a scorched earth reset.