• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2023-2024 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

Chuck

PECOTA came out and projects the Angels for 74.5 Wins. If I’m not mistaken this system has no way of accounting for coaching upgrades, which for the Angels are abundant with a complete overhaul.

How might we quantify these in terms of 2024 Wins?

Wash>Nevin

EY>Haselman

Enright>Wise

J Washington>Thames

I personally think these are extremely significant upgrades that could have an enormous effect on a squad more than half full of guys 28yo and younger, especially considering last years group was likely detrimental rather than helpful 

How many relief pitchers have we brought in this off season? Stephenson, Moore, Garcia, Kolarek, Cisneros, Cimber, I believe they all got major league deals, then Kolarek was optioned to the minors and not on the 40 man. Then I believe we took minor league flyers on 2 or 3 more ex major leaguers. 
I still think we are making at least one big move or two medium size moves. Big I would classify as Snell or Montgomery. Medium would be Clevinger and a trade for a controllable starter. 

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

How many relief pitchers have we brought in this off season? Stephenson, Moore, Garcia, Kolarek, Cisneros, Cimber, I believe they all got major league deals, then Kolarek was optioned to the minors and not on the 40 man. Then I believe we took minor league flyers on 2 or 3 more ex major leaguers. 
I still think we are making at least one big move or two medium size moves. Big I would classify as Snell or Montgomery. Medium would be Clevinger and a trade for a controllable starter. 

The way I think of it is last year Herget and Quijada were our core pen guys and this year they may not even make the 26 man roster. 

1 minute ago, Angel Oracle said:

And on top of that better coaching for the relievers in 2024

Bottom line -- I'm hopeful that we AT LEAST have risen to the level of having merely a "bad" bullpen instead of catastrophic. I even have some hope of getting to below average. 

Honestly, after the past few years, I'd almost rather go 50-112 with no hope and no goals then go 75-87 with 20 logic-defying bullpen collapses. I'd rather be bad throughout the roster then have one more f'n year of having an otherwise decent club that is sunk time and time again by terrible bullpen play. I swear -- every year we go into June thinking "Man, all we really need is a top-end starter, one starting-caliber infielder, a little health luck.... and, oh yeah, we need to burn down and replace the entire bullpen except the one competent guy that we really should probably trade because there's no fucking way we get the four or five competent relievers we need to stop shooting ourselves in the foot."

1 hour ago, Erstad Grit said:

The way I think of it is last year Herget and Quijada were our core pen guys and this year they may not even make the 26 man roster. 

Quijada was out after the first few weeks with TJ. He pitched in 10 games. 

1 minute ago, Erstad Grit said:

Yes but wasn't he slated to be our closer? 

At first, Quijada and Estevez alternated closing, but he was out by like Mid-April. I would expect them to put both Quijada and Warren on the 60-Day IL tomorrow, which is the first day they are eligible for such.. I do not expect these two to be back until the All-Star Break.

Both had TJ in early May, and well, it's a 15 month recovery on average. 

11 minutes ago, Hubs said:

At first, Quijada and Estevez alternated closing, but he was out by like Mid-April. I would expect them to put both Quijada and Warren on the 60-Day IL tomorrow, which is the first day they are eligible for such.. I do not expect these two to be back until the All-Star Break.

Both had TJ in early May, and well, it's a 15 month recovery on average. 

I get that,

My point is going into the season this year contrasted with going into the season last year, we are looking much stronger in the pen. 

Just now, Erstad Grit said:

I get that,

My point is going into the season this year contrasted with going into the season last year, we are looking much stronger in the pen. 

Agreed. I like Quijada as a 2nd lefty so I wish he was back sooner. He was pretty good in 2022. 

Herget by contrast was all smoke a mirrors in 2022, and he showed it in 2023. Shocked that they kept him over Livan Soto and Ingram.

5 hours ago, ShotimeDynasty said:

PECOTA came out and projects the Angels for 74.5 Wins. If I’m not mistaken this system has no way of accounting for coaching upgrades, which for the Angels are abundant with a complete overhaul.

How might we quantify these in terms of 2024 Wins?

Wash>Nevin

EY>Haselman

Enright>Wise

J Washington>Thames

I personally think these are extremely significant upgrades that could have an enormous effect on a squad more than half full of guys 28yo and younger, especially considering last years group was likely detrimental rather than helpful 

Well shit then the coaches will get us a 90 win season with that Ron Washington attitude!!! 

JK we will be a 70 win team.

26 minutes ago, Hubs said:

I would expect them to put both Quijada and Warren on the 60-Day IL tomorrow, which is the first day they are eligible for such..

That’s not until 2/14, when they open camp.

The Dodgers date is tomorrow because they open camp early.

Also, you can only put a player on the 60-day IL when you’re adding someone else to the 40-man.

4 minutes ago, BTH said:

That’s not until 2/14, when they open camp.

The Dodgers date is tomorrow because they open camp early.

Also, you can only put a player on the 60-day IL when you’re adding someone else to the 40-man.

I thought it was Feb 8 for everyone. And I'm pretty sure you can put a player on the 60-day IL whenever you want.