• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels 2023-2024 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

Chuck

7 minutes ago, Stradling said:

You have to think that if Ohtani does come back that it is based on an assurance things will be different, right? 

It's going to be all based on trust. 

Last season was the first time they really did anything at the Trade deadline. So, he's going to have to look at the Managing change and the coaches that were brought in while having a convo with Arte & Perry and them telling him they will push the envelope to get there (to the playoffs). With a caveat if they fail they will flush it and try again the next year similar to last season to get back under the Luxury Tax. 

Then Ohtani will have to decide. It's fiscally irresponsible to just have a 250M annual payroll with limited or no return.

11 minutes ago, Stradling said:

You have to think that if Ohtani does come back that it is based on an assurance things will be different, right? 

No...could just be as simple as Arte giving him a shit ton of money and Shohei being comfortable here. It's not like they haven't tried winning every year. I know we disagree with the way they go about it, but it hasn't been for a lack of trying from the GM and a payroll standpoint. 

I contend that last year was 1) one of the most encouraging offseasons in recent memory and 2) this team probably snags a WC if Trout, Neto, O'Hoppe, and maybe Rendon didn't miss so much time. Ohtani might see it that way.

5 minutes ago, totdprods said:

No...could just be as simple as Arte giving him a shit ton of money and Shohei being comfortable here. It's not like they haven't tried winning every year. I know we disagree with the way they go about it, but it hasn't been for a lack of trying from the GM and a payroll standpoint. 

I contend that last year was 1) one of the most encouraging offseasons in recent memory and 2) this team probably snags a WC if Trout, Neto, O'Hoppe, and maybe Rendon didn't miss so much time. Ohtani might see it that way.

I am willing to bet reports will come out that he was offered more money elsewhere.  We have already heard rumors that the contract could reach $600 million.  Arte isn’t giving him anywhere close to that.  I’ll take a guess that the contract will be around $475 million for 11 years, with an opt out after year two.  

13 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

It's going to be all based on trust. 

Last season was the first time they really did anything at the Trade deadline. So, he's going to have to look at the Managing change and the coaches that were brought in while having a convo with Arte & Perry and them telling him they will push the envelope to get there (to the playoffs). With a caveat if they fail they will flush it and try again the next year similar to last season to get back under the Luxury Tax. 

Then Ohtani will have to decide. It's fiscally irresponsible to just have a 250M annual payroll with limited or no return.

It doesn’t have to be based on trust, he could get an opt out and basically force their hand.

9 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I am willing to bet reports will come out that he was offered more money elsewhere.  We have already heard rumors that the contract could reach $600 million.  Arte isn’t giving him anywhere close to that.  I’ll take a guess that the contract will be around $475 million for 11 years, with an opt out after year two.  

If he re-signs, I fully expect that too. Money isn't an issue for Shohei. He would have waited to come to MLB and make more. As such I assume he also has some understanding what his contract could do to a team's payroll and how it can affect being competitive. 

Either way he's gonna get paid a very handsome amount.

Has it been discussed, even if its not logical, that maybe Shohei re-ups on a 2+1 type of deal with the Angels. Didn't Washington sign a 2 year deal? Maybe Shohei comes back for 2 guaranteed years at a record breaking yearly salary, his rehab year, and one year of pitching and then can opt into a third or out of the contract to get a longer term deal? Also would make sense on Ron's 2 year deal...

Just shooting from the hip here...

5 minutes ago, Angels_Make_Me_Drink said:

Has it been discussed, even if its not logical, that maybe Shohei re-ups on a 2+1 type of deal with the Angels. Didn't Washington sign a 2 year deal? Maybe Shohei comes back for 2 guaranteed years at a record breaking yearly salary, his rehab year, and one year of pitching and then can opt into a third or out of the contract to get a longer term deal? Also would make sense on Ron's 2 year deal...

Just shooting from the hip here...

He could do that, but it's really not in his best financial interest to do that. If he's being offered deals that guarantee over $500M and money is a big motivator for him, a short-term deal doesn't make much sense. The total of a short-term deal and whatever he might get after that probably isn't all that different from what he can get now.  

• mmc changed the title to The Official Los Angeles Angels 2023-2024 Hot Stove Offseason Thread
1 hour ago, Stradling said:

This sounds reasonable to me. I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't real close to what he agrees to.

~ArkyAngelsFan~

1 hour ago, jsnpritchett said:

He could do that, but it's really not in his best financial interest to do that. If he's being offered deals that guarantee over $500M and money is a big motivator for him, a short-term deal doesn't make much sense. The total of a short-term deal and whatever he might get after that probably isn't all that different from what he can get now.  

Yep, plus opt outs are a thing. 

Dude gets an opt out after two, if his arm is fine and the Angels are still circling the drain... He's got options.