• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ohtani +1500 to return to Angels

TheLordofOuts

6 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

My bets would be Dogs, Phillies and other (Astros).  Wherever he goes, he wants to win.  Dogs obviously.  Phillies are close.  Astros, no matter how much you say are going to be bad, have been in the playoffs as much as the Angels have been out.  I was also going to add the Padres, but the ownership issues might prevent it.

I think he's coming back and if he leaves I can't see him going to an AL West rival. I don't think he'll do that to the Angels. That would be a slap in the face. We know he's getting paid wherever he goes but I don't see what Houston (pretty much just won), Texas (who just won) and Seattle (who has never won) has over us. 

1 hour ago, Rollinghard said:

I have sources(wife and personal assistant to a current Angel player) that said he is only interested in staying and Angel or going to the Dodgers, period.

This was pre injury information. 

This is what I tell everyone. 

There are really 3 factors that determine where a FA plays: winning, comfort and money. I think everyone agrees that money is no 3 for Ohtani. 

If winning is No 1, it’s the Dodgers. If comfort is No 1, it’s the Angels. Difficult to see how another team could trump the Angels or Dodgers in those categories. 

1 minute ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

There are really 3 factors that determine where a FA plays: winning, comfort and money. I think everyone agrees that money is no 3 for Ohtani. 

If winning is No 1, it’s the Dodgers. If comfort is No 1, it’s the Angels. Difficult to see how another team could trump the Angels or Dodgers in those categories. 

Thats it.  I’m putting $100 on the Angels at +1600 now.

39 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

For the comfort factor alone, I wonder if San Diego is in the mix? Not far removed from the O.C. And you'd think many tourists who come to L.A. to see Ohtani would easily adjust to going a bit further south. 

As far as winning, they've under achieved, but still have talent. But this brings in factor three, money. 

The Padres would have to be creative and do a lot of juggling. Probably start a sequence of trades and other roster moves. 

They have a high profile owner and aggressive management. I could see them being in the mix. Not necessarily ahead of the Dodgers, but they also are a main rival of theirs and probably would love to scoop Ohtani from both the Angels and Dodgers. 

5 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Ok so if we know money is #3, then winning must be #1 otherwise he would have already re-signed with the Angels.

37 minutes ago, Jay said:

Ok so if we know money is #3, then winning must be #1 otherwise he would have already re-signed with the Angels.

Possibly.

I think he would have at least wanted to meet with the Dodgers, regardless. If he's going to be a free agent he'd be silly not to. 

Plus there's always the chance they offer significantly more money than the Angels. 

https://bookies.com/mlb/picks/shohei-ohtani-next-team-odds

Shohei Ohtani 2024 Team Odds

Team Odds Implied Probability
Los Angeles Dodgers +350 22.2%
Chicago Cubs +500 16.7%
Texas Rangers +600 14.3%
New York Mets +650 13.3%
San Francisco Giants +650 13.3%
Atlanta Braves +1000 9.1%
New York Yankees +1000 9.1%
Seattle Mariners +1200 7.7%
Boston Red Sox +1200 7.7%
The Field +1500 6.3%

Shohei Ohtani predictions: Experts project where MLB's top player will sign, what kind of contract he'll get

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/shohei-ohtani-predictions-experts-project-where-mlbs-top-player-will-sign-what-kind-of-contract-hell-get/

Dayn Perry: I'm aware that the Dodgers seem like the favorites to land him, but I'll depart from that consensus and say he inks with the Rangers for something like $510 million.

Matt Snyder: I'll stick with the Dodgers. I'll just make it an even 10 years and $500 million.

Mike Axisa: I went with the Dodgers on a 13-year, $500 million contract in my offseason bold predictions, so I guess I must stick with that.

R.J. Anderson: I agree with Axisa that the contract is likely to be long and complicated. I do feel that the Dodgers are the favorites, too -- though I'm sure the Rangers and others will make a real run at obtaining his services. I'll go with 10 years and $500 million with a ton of opt-outs that essentially make it a series of smaller deals.

I don't think they're the favorite or it's the likeliest but I feel like odds have been slowly increasing for re-upping with the Halos.

The injury really complicated what was already going to be a complicated contract, in terms of cost and roster logistics. 

Edited by totdprods

I feel that if Ohtani stays, it is likely that we also sign Yamamoto.  Ownership has said in the past that going over the luxury tax threshold isn't an issue for the right player. 

Well, Ohtani is that player. 

And Yamamoto would fill his spot at the top of the rotation. 

It would also fill the seats at the Big A.   

The arm injury probably is a big factor I think. 

Teams think long term obviously with the multi year contract he gets. But they also want to see immediate results to boost their present lineup. So that means Ohtani as a DH only this coming year. So an upgrade only at the plate. Not even playing a position. 

And then it's an unknown how he pitches in the future. In his thirties after two serious surgeries there are risks that he won't be as dominant as he has been. 

Of course there are/will be multiple teams making serious offers. And he will be the highest paid one way or another. Shorter or longer term. 

Will Ohtani purely as DH be the difference that turns the Dodgers into champions in 2024? You would think that they are desperate for  immediate results, given recent under achievements. 

They have smart management, but also face a lot of pressure to sign him. Their fans/media  see it as a logical and necessary progression. But the Dodgers always have a productive farm/development system and may rather be patient and not take a big expensive gamble. 

And I think the geographic factor may be over rated. There is a world beyond SoCal. After all, he moved from Japan, with a much bigger cultural adaptation. Moving to another city shouldn't be seen as an obstacle. He's played in them all and none will be an unknown. Weather shouldn't be a factor since he doesn't live year round in the U.S. and the season is played in summer. 

If the money and terms are acceptable I expect him to either resign with the Angels or go somewhere other than the Dodgers. Maybe he feels loyalty and wants to be part of a long term rebirth of the team. I put those odds at somewhere around 30%. And about the same for the Dodgers. The other 40% can be distributed amongst a dozen other teams.