• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels hire Ron Washington as manager

mmc

Personally, im mixed.  No question there is a ton of baseball knowledge there and perhaps more importantly the ability to impart it, obviously good things, but also a lot of baggage.  I wasnt psyched about when i read it due to a lot of that the idea but thats moot now so ill support him.
I do think it likely speaks well to the overall direction.
Well see where it goes from here. 
I will say this, those who are ok with some of the baggage issues around him should be the same about other players as well. 

34 minutes ago, jeskola said:

I wouldn't assume anything. Who knows what the interview process looks like? And you know what they say about a.s.s.u.m.e.

If you think that his past issues didn't come up in the interview process, specifically regarding the reason he left managing in the first place you're crazy. He's not applying to wipe tables at Wendys. 

21 minutes ago, floplag said:

Personally, im mixed.  No question there is a ton of baseball knowledge there and perhaps more importantly the ability to impart it, obviously good things, but also a lot of baggage.  I wasnt psyched about when i read it due to a lot of that the idea but thats moot now so ill support him.
I do think it likely speaks well to the overall direction.
Well see where it goes from here. 
I will say this, those who are ok with some of the baggage issues around him should be the same about other players as well. 

This team carries a TON of baggage so a little more won't hurt. 

Just now, Chuckster70 said:

That depends. If the Angels turn things around he could get extended. 

There is also the possibility that Washington asked for only two years and plans to retire from field work and move into an office. Along the way he can build a coaching staff to carry on his work while he works from behind the scenes to channel better talent into the organization. Washington in a role that he directs the minor leagues could be the perfect fit. 

My main concern is that an older manager on a two yr deal, along with a GM in the last year of his deal and a departing 2-way superstar implies that we will be in neutral for the next couple years at least. 

Wash seems like a solid baseball guy so that’s cool, but this move makes the future murkier.  As a fan I am craving a clear, long-term direction.  A change of manager/GM is an opportunity to put a stake in the ground. I don’t think this hire accomplishes that.  That said, I hope he does great.  

12 minutes ago, HBAngel13 said:

My main concern is that an older manager on a two yr deal, along with a GM in the last year of his deal and a departing 2-way superstar implies that we will be in neutral for the next couple years at least. 

Wash seems like a solid baseball guy so that’s cool, but this move makes the future murkier.  As a fan I am craving a clear, long-term direction.  A change of manager/GM is an opportunity to put a stake in the ground. I don’t think this hire accomplishes that.  That said, I hope he does great.  

Long term direction is built not bought. Imagine if they had just said fuck it...We want Nevin to be the manager for 8 years come hell or high water because hes a gritty gamer.

It's extremely important to identify the weak points and adjust accordingly. Thats what they are doing. I would like to see Perry extended because i believe he can build a winner and i like the fact that he learns and adjusts. If Torii is in fact on the coaching staff, giving him 2 years to learn from someone like Washington is priceless. I think hes going to have a huge impact on the players as well. People feed of that energy. He brings experience and accountability to a very young roster and i think he's going to have an impact on Trouts leadership or lack there of as well.

There could be another interesting move coming as well in the Front Office... We know Buck interviewed when Maddon was hired and had 2 interviews this time around.

Perry respects him a lot.

Buck had experience building everything Top to Bottom with the Diamondbacks.... What if he comes in as an Assistant to Perry to revamps the lower levels of the organization and the Baseball Operations side...?

This would work great! If they want to continue the build up of older college level players on a fast track this would work. 

48 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

There could be another interesting move coming as well in the Front Office... We know Buck interviewed when Maddon was hired and had 2 interviews this time around.

Buck had experience building everything Top to Bottom with the Diamondbacks.... What if he comes in as an Assistant to Perry to revamps the lower levels of the organization and the Baseball Operations side...?

This would work great! If they want to continue the build up of older college level players on a fast track this would work. 

I can't imagine that Showalter would accept an assistant GM position, especially in a situation as unstable as this one. The GM and the owner may not be in the picture within a year or two.

11 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

We may been been B00B'd again. 

His comment about who goes from 1b coach to manager...well, this guy, Ron Washington went from 3b coach to manager. Seems like podcast content to me. But yes, i think we all got boob'd. That guys posts should all have asterisk next to them.

1 hour ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

Life is strange destination unknown. Life is so strange.

2 hours ago, Blarg said:

There is also the possibility that Washington asked for only two years and plans to retire from field work and move into an office. Along the way he can build a coaching staff to carry on his work while he works from behind the scenes to channel better talent into the organization. Washington in a role that he directs the minor leagues could be the perfect fit. 

"man, another meddling job by RW. this guy's fingerprints have been all over every bad move for the last three years. he's been a disaster. how much longer do we have to put up with his BS?!? #fireRW"

- aw.com, 6/26

23 minutes ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

I can't imagine that Showalter would accept an assistant GM position, especially in a situation as unstable as this one. The GM and the owner may not be in the picture within a year or two.

May be a Minor League Director of Baseball Operations type thing... It's a Win/Win! 

With all the negative press with Arte and the Minor Leaguers in the past 2 years. I would want to revamp the whole thing if I'm staying for a while... To build it up to then sell it.

And to Perry's point just because he has 1yr left doesn't mean he isn't staying.

20 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

We may been been B00B'd again. 

this could mean that torii wants a different coaching position, or it could mean he's not interested in coaching at all. 

chuck, can you call torii and tell him i'll meet him at . . . wait, he knows where corona is. just tell him i'll be there sunday afternoon. thnx.

La Russa did ok his first year back with the White Sox, but didn't make it through his second season.

Valentine went 69-93 in his one year with the Red Sox before getting the boot.

Collins only had two winning seasons out of 7 with the Mets when he returned to managing.  Made it to one WS, but lost, and overall was more than 30 games under .500 in his 7 years there.

Johnson took over with the Nationals mid-way through 2011.  Was just under .500 the rest of that year and then had two good years before going away again for good.

Gaston took over mid-way through 2008 and the Blue Jays finished strong.  Had a down year in 2009, then rebounded in 2010 but didn't make the playoffs.  Gaston hasn't managed since then.