• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Renfroe DFAed by the Reds

jsnpritchett

Renfroe had a pretty good career given his strengths. A respectable power hitter and right fielder. Obviously he also had his flaws.

It seems that something happened to him mid season and he spiralled downhill and has never recovered. Maybe he can squeeze out a part time role  next season somewhere but it seems like the end of the line is near. 

4 hours ago, DMVol said:

I am not inclined to make (another) change at GM but Perry's offseason and deadline moves haven't been great... Drury, Moore, Estevez were good, maybe Moose....but Phillips, Renfroe, Anderson, Giolito, Cron, Grichuk, Escobar.....Loop and Tepera a year ago.....yikes....

Drury is just a smidge above 'average' at this point. 105 OPS+...sure, he's hit some HRs but the 25 BB to 122 K is pretty gruesome. A .300 OBP? Also yikes. Don't get me wrong, he was a useful addition and an upgrade over a lot of last year's filler, but had hoped for at least a little more from him.

Estevez came back to earth a little post-ASB but still a pretty good get, IMO. 

Not related, but thinking on it, it seems like Minasian has taken almost nobody via waiver claim during his entire time here. Maybe it's just different from Eppler who worked the wire often, but I'm honestly having a hard time remembering almost anyone that Perry has claimed at any point.

Edited by totdprods

12 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

You should look up the ages of all those players. 

Not sure what you mean?  Perry signed and traded for too many old players? Are you giving him a pass because the guys he signed or traded for were older?  The Marlins picked up Josh Bell, who is 31, and he has helped them make a post season run....

33 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Not sure what you mean?  Perry signed and traded for too many old players? Are you giving him a pass because the guys he signed or traded for were older?  The Marlins picked up Josh Bell, who is 31, and he has helped them make a post season run....

I’m saying that the majority of players who are over 30 are going to get worse.

And some of the guys you mentioned are 33 or 34.

15 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I’m saying that the majority of players who are over 30 are going to get worse.

And some of the guys you mentioned are 33 or 34.

So?  I enjoy your writing Jeff but that sounds like you're carrying water for the front office.  I am not, and won't, call for Perry's head.  I think he tried to improve the roster with the resources that he had available.  But, I am also going not going to absolve him from accountability because "guys are older".  Most of the players available at the deadline are older...Expiring contracts, etc. ...You need to make good decisions, like Anthopolos did with the Braves two years ago....You can cut him some slack but also hold him accountable at the same time.  They aren't mutually exclusive.

39 minutes ago, DMVol said:

So?  I enjoy your writing Jeff but that sounds like you're carrying water for the front office.  I am not, and won't, call for Perry's head.  I think he tried to improve the roster with the resources that he had available.  But, I am also going not going to absolve him from accountability because "guys are older".  Most of the players available at the deadline are older...Expiring contracts, etc. ...You need to make good decisions, like Anthopolos did with the Braves two years ago....You can cut him some slack but also hold him accountable at the same time.  They aren't mutually exclusive.

Ok. He hit on about 3 of 10 guys over 30 when he should have hit on 4 of 10. So he’s worse.

Thats all I’m saying.