• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels’ Phil Nevin acknowledges fans’ ‘frustration’ at uncertainty surrounding Shohei Ohtani

AngelsWin.com

SEATTLE — This time, Phil Nevin made his lineup before he even asked Shohei Ohtani if he was able to play.

The Angels manager left Ohtani out of the lineup for the ninth consecutive game on Tuesday, telling the two-way superstar that he can let him know when he’s ready.

Nevin acknowledged that all of this drama surrounding Ohtani’s sore oblique is frustrating and confusing for fans.

Ohtani felt something during batting practice a couple of hours before the game on Sept. 4. Nevin said it was his decision to keep Ohtani out of the next day’s lineup, against Ohtani’s wishes, but since then it has apparently been Ohtani saying he’s not ready, even though he’s continued to maintain he’s “close.”

“I know fans come to see him, especially when we’re at home,” Nevin said. “I get that frustration. Absolutely. When this started, nobody thought it was a big issue. He was even telling me ‘I think I can go in a day or two.’ And that’s what I told you guys. Well, it stretched out a little longer than we thought. But I still think it’s really close. And we’ll wait for him to say when he can play.”

Further muddying the situation, Ohtani has not spoken to the media about anything since Aug. 9. His agent addressed his arm injury last week, but that was before Ohtani hurt his oblique.

Monday was the only day during the nine-game stretch in which Ohtani was in the lineup and then scratched. Nevin had been told by Ohtani on Sunday that he would be able to play, so he made the lineup accordingly.

Now, Nevin said he won’t put Ohtani back in the lineup until he’s sure.

A player can only be placed on the injured list retroactive to three days prior, so at this point any time the Angels put Ohtani on the 10-day injured list, it would prevent him from playing at least the next seven days. Ohtani apparently has not gotten to the point at which he felt he needed seven more days.

“I’m kind of inclined to tell him ‘Hey, take, take these next two and we got the off day (on Thursday) and maybe play Friday,’” Nevin said, “but he told me ‘If I come in tomorrow, and I feel good, I’ll come tell you,’ so OK.”

Ohtani, who is done pitching for the season, is expected to have a procedure to repair his torn ulnar collateral ligament at some point.

PITCHING PLAN

The Angels will have a bullpen game on Wednesday afternoon, Nevin said, filling the spot still vacated by Chase Silseth, who is on the concussion list.

Jhonathan Diaz and José Suarez could be available to start the game with multiple innings, depending on who is available after Tuesday.

NOTES

Infielder Brandon Drury got a routine day off on Tuesday, a day after hitting a go-ahead two-run homer in the 10th inning. “He’s a little tired,” Nevin said. …

Catcher Matt Thaiss has been throwing, so he would be available to play defense if necessary, Nevin said. Thaiss, who was out with shoulder inflammation, was activated before he was able to play defense, because the Angels could afford to carry him just for his bat with the extra roster spot allowed in September. …

The Angels’ starting lineup for the first two games in Seattle included five former Angels’ first-round draft picks in each game. Outfielders Randal Grichuk (2009) and Jordyn Adams (2018), shortstop Zach Neto (2022) and first baseman Nolan Schanuel (2023) played both games. Thaiss (2016) started at DH on Tuesday and Reid Detmers (2020) was the starting pitcher on Monday.

UP NEXT

Angels (TBD) at Mariners (RHP Luis Castillo, 12-7, 3.08 ERA), Wednesday, 1:10 p.m., Bally Sports West, 830 AM

View the full article

On 9/12/2023 at 9:13 PM, AngelsWin.com said:

Infielder Brandon Drury got a routine day off on Tuesday, a day after hitting a go-ahead two-run homer in the 10th inning. “He’s a little tired,” Nevin said. …

He literally has an entire 4 1/2 months off in a little more than two weeks. These scheduled off days are hilarious.

Let’s give the most productive player in the lineup a day off a couple weeks away from the offseason and start a middle infielder in CF for the first time in his career against a team battling for a playoff spot.

9 hours ago, SoCalDucksFan said:

Being the greedy SOB that he is, that would make sense.

It really doesn't. They sucked last year and the place was empty outside of Ohtani pitching starts. Watching 4 at bats where a contending team will pitch around him isnt going to draw as many fans as I think some of you believe. 

32 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I like that Ohtani wanting to play has turned into fans thinking it is tied into Arte being greedy. If Ohtani wanted to go on the IL he would have gone by now.  

Why does it have to be what Ohtani wants? Who's running the org? I have to admit I'm not a fan of the kid-glove treatment that Ohtani gets.

I doubt Ohtani gets the 'kid glove treatment' elsewhere. Especially in big markets or teams on the cusp of playoff/series success. The team needs will supercede his personal desires. Other than injury factors. And at the price he will be paid the demands and expectations will be enormous. 

Imagine Philly, the Yankees, Dodgers and so on deferring to his every whim like the Angels have. Possibly Seattle may be 'softer' given their history with Ichiro and general team culture. Maybe the Giants too. 

But the highest paid, biggest draw will have to buy into team/managerial philosophy beyond personal goals. 

3 hours ago, James said:

It really doesn't. They sucked last year and the place was empty outside of Ohtani pitching starts. Watching 4 at bats where a contending team will pitch around him isnt going to draw as many fans as I think some of you believe. 

I'm kinda with you on this.  Maybe there will be a bit of a pop in attendance for the last home game of the year to see potentially his last game ever as an Angel, but I still don't think it'll make all that much of a difference. 

As I've said elsewhere, I just don't think this "Will he play?" limbo is helping him or the team in any way at this point.  I know he's a "gamer" who just wants to get out there, but I still don't see what good it does anyone.  Just go have your procedure, dude.  No one will be upset at you if you do.

4 hours ago, Stradling said:

I like that Ohtani wanting to play has turned into fans thinking it is tied into Arte being greedy. If Ohtani wanted to go on the IL he would have gone by now.  

I saw fans on Twitter saying it must have been Arte that had Ohtani day-to-day for that series in SEATTLE because he wanted to sell tickets. 🤦‍♂️

2 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I saw fans on Twitter saying it must have been Arte that had Ohtani day-to-day for that series in SEATTLE because he wanted to sell tickets. 🤦‍♂️

They're still selling tickets to the next homestand, regardless of where they're playing right now.  And there's a difference between stringing everyone along with "day to day" talk, rather than outright saying, "he's done for the season."  Of course, you'd have to be crazy to purchase tickets to upcoming games, because your best deal is to wait until the last minute, when people are essentially giving them away.

6 hours ago, Jay said:

Why does it have to be what Ohtani wants? Who's running the org? I have to admit I'm not a fan of the kid-glove treatment that Ohtani gets.

I'll bet that a lot of players feel the same way, although they would never openly voice it. Ohtani decides that he will do this and won't do that, and it all affects multiple players.

Nevin acknowledged that all of this drama surrounding Ohtani’s sore oblique is frustrating and confusing for fans.

“I know fans come to see him, especially when we’re at home,” Nevin said. “I get that frustration. Absolutely.”

What about the frustration of getting our asses kicked every year?

I guess that’s not on the menu.

Take a look at the Red Sox, who recently fired Chief Baseball Officer Chaim Bloom and what they had to say about their situation in Boston.

"The decision was not made lightly or easily," team president and CEO Sam Kennedy read from a prepared statement before his news conference. "We all know where we are in the standings. It's a painful reality that fans feel as deeply as we do. Our fans deserve a winning, competitive team that consistently plays postseason baseball."

"It's hard to say it's not related to results because that's what this is all about," Kennedy said. "We're aiming for World Series championships. That's it. That's the aim, that's the goal. We're here to win World Series championships. While we're here, we're not going to waste this opportunity. That's what the Boston Red Sox are all about."

This is a far cry from what Nevin seems to “get.” And Minassian.

Not even a mention about the teams record.  No apologies to the fans for the product the Angels have put on the field.

Cry me a river about the injuries.  Whatever.

Can you see the differences between these two organizations and what is acceptable and what is unacceptable?

As I write this, the Red Sox are 74-72 and heads are already starting to roll.

1 minute ago, Just Sayin said:

Nevin acknowledged that all of this drama surrounding Ohtani’s sore oblique is frustrating and confusing for fans.

“I know fans come to see him, especially when we’re at home,” Nevin said. “I get that frustration. Absolutely.”

What about the frustration of getting our asses kicked every year?

I guess that’s not on the menu.

Take a look at the Red Sox, who recently fired Chief Baseball Officer Chaim Bloom and what they had to say about their situation in Boston.

"The decision was not made lightly or easily," team president and CEO Sam Kennedy read from a prepared statement before his news conference. "We all know where we are in the standings. It's a painful reality that fans feel as deeply as we do. Our fans deserve a winning, competitive team that consistently plays postseason baseball."

"It's hard to say it's not related to results because that's what this is all about," Kennedy said. "We're aiming for World Series championships. That's it. That's the aim, that's the goal. We're here to win World Series championships. While we're here, we're not going to waste this opportunity. That's what the Boston Red Sox are all about."

This is a far cry from what Nevin seems to “get.” And Minassian.

Not even a mention about the teams record.  No apologies to the fans for the product the Angels have put on the field.

Cry me a river about the injuries.  Whatever.

Can you see the differences between these two organizations and what is acceptable and what is unacceptable?

As I write this, the Red Sox are 74-72 and heads are already starting to roll.

Haha. 

40 minutes ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

I'll bet that a lot of players feel the same way, although they would never openly voice it. Ohtani decides that he will do this and won't do that, and it all affects multiple players.

Don’t get me wrong….I love Ohtani….

However ….the tail is definitely wagging the dog.

Teammates won’t openly voice it….but more than a few are most likely saying to themselves “WTF?”

1 hour ago, Just Sayin said:

Don’t get me wrong….I love Ohtani….

However ….the tail is definitely wagging the dog.

Teammates won’t openly voice it….but more than a few are most likely saying to themselves “WTF?”

I believe that it's fair to say that pretty much all of us love Ohtani. I have never seen his like in approximately 60 years of watching baseball, and I probably never will again. That said, the manager can't make out the lineup card until he hears from Ohtani to see if he feels like hitting. Before his injury, the manager couldn't set his pitching rotation until he knew whether Ohtani was going to go. If he didn't, it changed everyone else's days to pitch. The Angels had to go with an unconventional six-man rotation to accommodate him, which meant one less arm in the bullpen. He is an amazing talent, but accommodating him has caused a lot of uncertainty and necessitated a lot of last minute decisions.

He may sign somewhere else, but I doubt that he is going to get the level of accommodation that he has gotten from the Angels. He wants to go to a winning club, if reports are correct. A winning organization isn't going to have their lineup and rotation hinge daily on the whims of one player.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan