• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

AngelsWin Podcast - Episode 20

Chuck

There is a way to achieve your goals. By being a Student of the Game.

I talk about shadow innings.

With my PO's we would do our PT and bullies or PFP's. Then we would sit in the press box and watch our hitters and while they were going through their hitting drills. Including hitting to the opposite field. We would sit there and talk about how we would attack our own hitters weaknesses. Then I would go out and throw the last round from 40feet away and just gas and offspeed and different arm slots. Where are they looking for each slot. 

We would go up against some of the Top talent in OC and they weren't intimidated and had a plan to work the pitcher.

It's all relevant!

8 hours ago, Swordsman78 said:

I guess we shall see.

I would think even less of upper management if they try and make Nevin the skape goat for the 2023 injury debacle.   The dude literally had them in playoff contention at the trade deadline, posting a line up that did not include, Trout, Rendon, Neto, O'Hoppe, Adell, Moore, Gio, Drury, etc.

Nevin is not going to be labeled as the scapegoat.

If he gets let go and Perry stays, Perry will be the first one to say that "this isn't just Phil's fault" or something along those lines.

And if both Nevin and Perry get let go, Arte is making Perry the scapegoat.

6 hours ago, CaliforniaYankee said:

Its a tough call.  Replacing Nevin is something to consider, but as Swordsman78 mentioned, who do you replace him with?   Melvin or Bochy provided they are available?  Someone that was part of the team with some experience maybe Erstad ?  Bud Black I think would be great but he's not available.  I mean there are others, but there is no easy answer.

Who they'd replace him with depends on the status of the front office.

If Perry is kept around but still in the final year of his deal, it's probably a rookie manager.

If Perry is kept around and is extended, there's a better chance that it's a veteran manager with ties to Perry (Washington, Farrell, Weiss).

If Perry is gone, then you'd hope the new GM gets to pick their person in a search after the GM search is finished.

Every kid that played in my Organization, high school, college scout league teams.

Everyone went through the Baseball IQ test.

My passion was for high IQ catchers and Lefty arms. I was teaching a 4 seam / 2 seamer and grips for movement. 1 finger cutter and circle change.. from low level travel to high school. College scouting league I would work on grips, spin and mental side of the game.

40 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

I Love Victor's insight. Which has aligned with much of what I've said here through the years. (And yes, numerous in here call me old man yelling at clouds). Which is funny but true.

All the way down to the Scouts and low level development guys. There needs to be educators at those levels of the "Angels Way".. I've scouted high school and college kids and you can tell who has worked on the mental side of the game and watch the game to work through situations.

Scouts need to be looking at everything from not only a tool and talent level. But, maybe you bring in some guys who are 2/3 or 4 tool players but they are gamers or understand the base level of the "Angels Way Mindset". They understand the game, they are strong on the mental side as that rubs off on a roster and other players.

This is why you saw them bring Salmon & Finley in. The kid pitchers are watching the game what are they actually watching and talking about. With the Analytics, Video, and watching the games. You should have a pretty good idea how to attack a hitter and even set them up to hit your pitch or chase your pitch through sequencing.

Ex. Of a kid I coached against. The White Sox were hot for him. Great player, great arm, power hitter..

But, I knew his tell on how he setup for the pitches and were able to steal on him at will. The White Sox scout came up and said what do you know, what did you see?... He setup differently for a fastball and off speed. He ended up getting pissed off and got run on a called 3rd strike and lost it on the umpire in front of the White Sox. He went from 1st-3rd round to 22nd. He also was over aggressive with 2nd pitch. And would chase up. 1st pitch fastball down and in. 0-1... 2nd pitch get me over curve fouled 500 feet. 0-2.... Fastball up and in around his chest... by YOU! The Sox still drafted him but at a savings of approx 6-7M...

IF you've played the game, watched enough, players have their tells. Even the ones that try to bait you into a situation (for me it was pitch location).

Good stuff @SlappyUtilityMIF. I agree!! 

11 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

IMG_9640 (1).JPG

Episode 20 finds the guys welcoming in Week 1 of the NFL season!  But in addition to a quick discussion about how their favorite football teams look going into the season, there’s lots of Angels baseball to talk about.  They discuss: Nez Balelo’s, Shohei Ohtani’s agent, press conference (all is well?), Bob Nightingale's Mike Trout story, Rengifo is the latest to join the Angels’ IL, Seattle pitcher George Kirby’s comments on being left in the game too long brings some heat from former players, what should the Angels look to do in 2024 and much more.  Finally, Geoff wraps things up with a funny story about whether he’s ever listened to Vitor Rojas’ podcast.

Great podcast! I really enjoyed it.

10 hours ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

Mine are both in first place (Raiders and Jaguars), but I don't expect it to last for the Raiders.

Any time that the Tennessee Titans lose, it's a good day.

Yeah the Raiders are going to end up in near the bottom of the standings, but don't sleep on those Jags!  They're for real!

Finally got to listen to the podcast.  I really appreciate Victor's candidate takes on things.  You all continue to do a great job. 

I had a thought about the pitching this year.  I think last year Syndergaard had a positive impact on the staff last season (while he was here) and they don't have that veteran presence there any more.  They don't have a guy who can take someone like Sandoval aside and tell him the truth.... The Angels need that respected veteran who can be a mentor.

51 minutes ago, T.G. said:

Finally got to listen to the podcast.  I really appreciate Victor's candidate takes on things.  You all continue to do a great job. 

I had a thought about the pitching this year.  I think last year Syndergaard had a positive impact on the staff last season (while he was here) and they don't have that veteran presence there any more.  They don't have a guy who can take someone like Sandoval aside and tell him the truth.... The Angels need that respected veteran who can be a mentor.

It definitely could be and as far as I can tell Matt Wise isn't the best in terms of being a mentor or helping pitchers adjust when they're struggling. 

The Halos need to clean house IMO this offseason with their entire coaching staff.