• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Shohei Ohtani misses sixth consecutive game for Angels

AngelsWin.com

ANAHEIM — Shohei Ohtani continues to be day-to-day with right oblique tightness and again, this was not that day. And it might not be Sunday, either.

Angels manager Phil Nevin said the team’s two-way star, who injured himself on a batting practice swing Monday, upped his activity but did not feel comfortable returning to the lineup just yet. Ohtani sat out Saturday against the Cleveland Guardians, his sixth consecutive game that he has missed.

“He said probably one more day would be good,” Nevin said. “If not (Sunday), Monday in Seattle. It’s a day-to-day thing.”

The Angels open a three-game series Monday against the Mariners in Seattle.

Nevin said Ohtani indicated that he “felt better” in swinging the bat, but isn’t altogether ready to swing fully. “If there’s a tentativeness in letting it go, then bring it out in a game it’s only going to add to that. It’s day-to-day.”

RENGIFO’S SEASON IS OVER

Utility player Luis Rengifo will finish the season on the injured list after further testing showed he had suffered a ruptured left biceps tendon. Rengifo hurt his arm before his first at-bat in Thursday’s game against the Cleveland Guardians.

“We had a good idea what it was, and we did the imagining yesterday and he wanted a second opinion,” Nevin said. “That’s why we waited another day to get this out. But yeah, it stinks. You hate seeing it.”

Rengifo, the American League Player of the Week, was on a tear at the plate recently, hitting .446 with five home runs, 14 RBIs and a 1.280 OPS in his past 15 games. He will finish the season at .264/.339/.444.

“He’s so important to this dugout, the energy he brings and not just on the field,” Nevin said. “But the good news is the timetable and that he should be ready for spring training next year. It’s a pretty significant injury, as you know, and the rehab process is pretty grueling, but he handles things head-on.

“I’m hurt, I’m upset for him. I miss him being out there for one, but you miss his personality. But I know he’s going to tackle the rehab head-on, and he will be good.”

Rengifo was using a heavy bat during his normal routine warm-up in the on-deck circle when he suffered the tear.

MORE INJURY UPDATES

First baseman Noah Schanuel sat out Saturday after experiencing tightness in his right shoulder in Friday night’s game and was replaced by Mike Moustakas. Like so many other players, Nevin said Schanuel, too, is day-to-day.

“We don’t think it’s anything serious,” Nevin said. “In a day or two, he’ll be back out there. Give him a day.”

Nevin paused before adding that given Sunday’s early start, “it might make sense to give him two (days.) If he comes in tomorrow and feels great (then he could play.) It’s sore though.”

Right fielder Mickey Moniack continues to experience lower-back spasms and did not play Saturday – the third game he has missed — leaving the Angels even more short-handed as they stagger to the end of the season. They had 16 players on the injured list heading into Saturday’s game.

“We have guys who are day-to-day; it’s not IL situations. If they are going to be back in a couple of days, you can’t do that,” Nevin said. “I’m not going to go into the availability of any of them, but when I think of those three guys, I think a couple of them could come in in some capacity.”

ROSENBERG TABBED FOR SUNDAY START

Left-hander Kenny Rosenberg (0-1) will get his second turn in the rotation Sunday after a quality start against the Baltimore Orioles on Monday. Nevin said he liked what he saw from the 28-year-old despite giving up three runs, seven hits and two walks over six innings. He also struck out four.

Rosenberg could find himself in the rotation as the season winds down with Ohtani not pitching the rest of the season because of a UCL injury.

UP NEXT

Guardians (RHP Tanner Bibbee, 10-3, 3.05 ERA) at Angels (LHP Kenny Rosenberg, 0-1, 5.54 ERA), Sunday, 1:07 p.m., Bally Sports West, 830 AM

View the full article

15 minutes ago, Docwaukee said:

wondering if they're stringing the fans along by not shelving Ohtani by giving people false hope that he might pop into a lineup any day here.  

I didn't think of that, but at this point if he's done for the year, they might as well wait to announce it until they go back on the road. lol