• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Shohei Ohtani tears UCL, won't pitch again this season

mmc

I tried to translate some of what I heard from the Live below.

Darvish's free-to-say live on August 24 (JST)

Darvish commented,

"Not only did his nail crack, but his pitching speed was slowing down, and it seemed like he was protecting his body. So when I heard heard about his arm being fatigued, I thought there might be a problem with his elbow."

"Even if he felt it, he won't say anything about it. After the game, I checked the status of each ballpark after I got on the bus, and when I looked at Ohtani on MLB.TV, I saw that his pitching speed had decreased to 90 mph. I thought his elbow ligaments were in jeopardy."

(Inquiry to Darvish) Is it possible that Ohtani won't be able to pitch?

"I don't think so. He originally pitched with 5 days or 6 days rest. Even though it's difficult to manage because he's damaged his ligaments again, if he can throw with 6 days and 7 days rest, he can go back to be a starter."

From the post game interview with Senga (Mets) on August 25.

Q: Were you hundred-percent suprised when you heard about Ohtani's injury?

A: Honestly, his pitching form, his output, and his performance these days were a little different from what he's capable of.

It's not just me who thinks so, but everyone who likes baseball and who likes Ohtani. I wish there were no abnormalities for him, but they seem to be appearing little by little.

In his case, I think he will overcome them. Except when I'm playing against him, as a Japanese person and a baseball fan, I'm one of the players whose play I enjoy watching, and I wish him well.

Reference in Japanese: Sponichi Annex (Japanese sports media) on August 26, 2023 (JST)

Yu Darvish underwent Tommy John surgery in 2015.
Darvish's symptoms are as follows: "When I threw a long toss during spring training, my right triceps felt weird. I don't know what this is. It's not pain, but it felt weird and uncomfortable."

(He underwent an MRI the nextday.)

Reference: Darvish's free-to-say live on August 24 (JST)

-----

During Ohtani's Nippon Ham Fighters era (2017), Manager Kuriyama temporarily prohibited Ohtani from running through first base with all his might at the beginning of the season in order to prevent a long-term withdrawal due to his abnormal right ankle. Kuriyama said, "I'll kill him if he runs at full speed. If he cannot comply, he is out of the game. If that happens, I feel sorry for the fans."

Reference in Japanese: Nikkan Sports (Japanese sports media) on March 4, 2017

Kuriyama also said it would be a tough job to stop Ohtani from wanting to play.

16 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

I just wanted to post a silver lining of sorts.  

If the Angels were in the race, this would have been the ultimate gut punch.   So I guess that's good.  Right? 

I remember when Garrett Richards got hurt in Boston. Halos went on a run then. I believe it could happen again.

On 8/24/2023 at 12:11 PM, TroutField said:

When did being tired and blisters lead to tommy John surgery? And we were just supposed to shut Ohtani down when there were no indications of a UCL tear until he had a drop in velocity and had to be pulled from the game. 

man I get this is super unfortunate but let’s be a little reasonable

As it turns out, Minasian politely asked Ohtani to get an MRI and Ohtani refused. I guess we know who's in charge and it's not the flaccid GM.

Ben Verlander hammered the Angels yesterday for causing this.

Today he got more information and posted an "emergency podcast".  Good info.  Didn't offer any sort of apology for the crap he said about the organization, though.  Even though the info means they aren't to blame.

Injuries happen... especially this one...

Sometimes there's nothing you can do about it

On 8/26/2023 at 6:31 PM, Chico said:

As it turns out, Minasian politely asked Ohtani to get an MRI and Ohtani refused. I guess we know who's in charge and it's not the flaccid GM.

No one can force a person to have a medical procedure, including baseball players.  You have to consent to it.  In a life or death situation a medical procedure can be performed to save someone's life, this was not a life or death situation.  In this situation there is absolutely no way that Minasian could force Ohtani to have an MRI on his elbow without his consent.

(Translated X below) Major active pitchers who have undergone TJ surgery twice

Jacob Anthony deGrom (TEX) 2010/2023
Nathan Edward Eovaldi (TEX) 2007/2016
Walker Anthony Buehler (LAD) 2015/2022
Dustin Jake May (LAD) 2021/2023
Shane McClanahan (TB) 2015/2023
Drew Thomas Rasmussen (TB) 2016/2017
Peter Anderson Fairbanks (TB) 2011/2017
Jameson Lee Taillon (CHC) 2014/2019
Hyun-jin Ryu (TOR) 2004/2022
José Soriano (LAA) 2020/2021
Kirby Kali Yates (ATL) 2006/2021
Daniel Claiborne Hudson (LAD) 2012/2013
Caleb Paul Ferguson (LAD) 2014/2020
Christopher Joseph Paddack (MIN) 2016/2022
Colin Michael Poche (TB) 2014/2020
Justin Robert Topa (SEA) 2011/2015
Cole Ragans (KC) 2018/2019
Michael Anthony Clevinger (CWS) 2012/2020

Reference (informal) : Tommy John Surgery List (@MLBPlayerAnalys)

Eovaldi and Taillon are the only two starting pitchers who have returned and reached the qualified innings pitched.