• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: (8/18/23): Rays @ Angels: Schanuel leading off & O'Hoppe is back!

9 minutes ago, Kaba said:

My personal view is that Nevin needs to be fired. Loup needs to be DFAd and Estevez is not a closer. Anderson should have been removed when he started to suck, which was the third inning. How can you leave Estevez in for two innings after he pitched so poorly in the 9th. Being saved by a triple play should have told Nevin something. Nevin used the rest of the bullpen for one inning each and they all came through. Any one of those three pitchers should replace Estevez as the closer.

I have to agree here. You have to wonder who's evaluating pitching if the backup to your closer for the last few weeks of these crucial games is Aaron Loup. He's been pitching better lately, but not that much better. Also, I still have faith in Estevez as a closer eventually, but he isn't a solid one right now. I was holding back on replacing Estevez after he absolutely blew that late one against the Mariners, but enough is enough. He should be flip flopped with Reynaldo Lopez for the time being until he can get some more consistent outings under his belt. It gives the team the best chance to win.

Just now, Swordsman78 said:

I'll clarify....The "next" batters after Velasquez got to 2nd.  

Preschool caliber with you.

Hey dumbass, the batter after Velazquez stole second was Grichuk, he didn’t bunt, got out, while not advancing the runner. He didn’t get on base. 

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Hey dumbass, the batter after Velazquez stole second was Grichuk, he didn’t bunt, got out, while not advancing the runner. He didn’t get on base. 

Hypothetically he would have popped up the bunt and you would have been blaming Nevin for not knowing that Grchuk can't bunt, and giving up an out.  

9 minutes ago, T-angel said:

I have to agree here. You have to wonder who's evaluating pitching if the backup to your closer for the last few weeks of these crucial games is Aaron Loup. He's been pitching better lately, but not that much better. Also, I still have faith in Estevez as a closer eventually, but he isn't a solid one right now. I was holding back on replacing Estevez after he absolutely blew that late one against the Mariners, but enough is enough. He should be flip flopped with Reynaldo Lopez for the time being until he can get some more consistent outings under his belt. It gives the team the best chance to win.

Exactly why I said the Angels needed a SP and a closer before the trade deadline.   Only to be mocked by Strad.  

Strad would rather lose games so he can be MR. Hypothetical out come, rather than make/acknowledge intelligent suggestions

5 minutes ago, Swordsman78 said:

Hypothetically he would have popped up the bunt and you would have been blaming Nevin for not knowing that Grchuk can't bunt, and giving up an out.  

Nope. Then it would have been poor execution of the right strategy. 

38 minutes ago, Chiefrum said:

Sorry I didn't send you my Angels fan CV before posting. Just because I haven't been posting here in this forum, doesn't mean I haven't been an avid Angels fan since 1979, when I was 6 years old. Nor does it mean I lack the brain to see obvious stuff, such as that it would have been an insanely great idea to take out the reliever out who is absolutely awful and was lottery-level lucky to survive his first inning in a must win game for the Angels.

You let me know if it's okay if I can keep posting.

You're good in my book, chief.

4 minutes ago, Swordsman78 said:

Exactly why I said the Angels needed a SP and a closer before the trade deadline.   Only to be mocked by Strad.  

Strad would rather lose games so he can be MR. Hypothetical out come, rather than make/acknowledge intelligent suggestions

I think they did get a backend of the bullpen guy in Reynaldo. They have been slow to make a change though. They just went with the horse that got them this far in Estevez. He looks tired to me. Probably why he's falling off balance after his release, trying to get his velocity to 99+. He doesn't use his slider or changeup enough anymore probably because he can't get them over the plate for strikes effectively. He isn't pitching out there. He's throwing. Wish he would dial it down and go with movement at 95 and work on regaining control of his secondaries so he can use them again. 

I don't think the Angels should fire Nevin right now. There are still players in that dugout that are his guys and firing him would essentially be waving the white flag. Might as well shut down Ohtani and Trout at that point too. Unfortunately for him he is going to be the scapegoat firing at the end of the season though. In all honesty, my gut feeling is Nevin isn't that great of a manager or baseball mind. However, I can't validate that hypothesis with the results from this Angels season because I don't think he's the only cook in the kitchen. Hard to put anything on the man, when I believe not all the decisions are his. 

2 hours ago, T-angel said:

Estevez, even before he came apart, had been pitching on borrowed time. He had a WHIP of over 1.4, which is too high for a closer and his peripherals were just pedestrian. He rarely had quick 1,2,3 innings. It has caught up with him and apparently the competition has made the adjustments and he has not. I say give Reynaldo Lopez the closer role for the rest of the season. Those two blown saves and this loss were too costly. Reynaldo looks like he has the potential to be a slam-the-door-shut type of closer, something that Estevez really never was.  The real fly-in-the-ointment pitcher in this sad saga is Anderson. He was handed a comfortable lead, which he proceeded to cough up. If he and Detmers had pitched just average ball, the Angels would be in the midst of the WC hunt.

(Link mlb.com) Give up a grand slam, hit into a triple play ... and win? Rays did it

Partially quoted:
"According to the Elias Sports Bureau, the Rays became only the second team in AL/NL history to allow a grand slam, hit into a triple play and win the game. Cleveland also accomplished that unusual feat against Toronto on Sept. 7, 1979."

--------

(Probably a joke news) The following Post(X) has become a topic in Japanese sports media.

Edited by FromJapan
Add link

This thread has been great. 

1 of 3, if we're lucky. I woulda bet $100 we won't win 2, but nobody took me up on it.

Gentleman. Gentleladies. You're just watching how a well oiled TB  machine with a dumpy stadium works against an Orange County organization with absolutely no clue how to run a ballclub.

I love my Halos, but TB knows how to win. Take notes Minasian!

4 hours ago, FromJapan said:

(Link mlb.com) Give up a grand slam, hit into a triple play ... and win? Rays did it

Partially quoted:
"According to the Elias Sports Bureau, the Rays became only the second team in AL/NL history to allow a grand slam, hit into a triple play and win the game. Cleveland also accomplished that unusual feat against Toronto on Sept. 7, 1979."

--------

(Probably a joke news) The following Post(X) has become a topic in Japanese sports media.

The Jared Carrabis tweet is just a variation on the "Tungsten Arm O'Doyle" tweet that went viral before: 

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/tungsten-arm-odoyle-shohei-ohtani/hzdme8jtilfr5gq12he9hjmd

7 hours ago, Swordsman78 said:

Still waiting for your critique on how the 5-1 lead was blown.  Actually still waiting for any critique at all, other than hypothetical moves resulting in hypothetical outcomes.

Ok fine. Nevin got Soriano up in the pen the inning before because Anderson was complete dogshit. But somehow he got out of the inning. So you’d think the next inning it would be Soriano time. Nope. Back to Anderson to suck ass and get another runner in scoring position. Then you bring in Soriano. It’s just stupid shit like that. If the starter doesn’t have it. He doesn’t have it. So yes I’m theory it is about the pitchers. But at the same time it’s up to the manager to recognize that before it gets out of hand and make a change. Let’s not forget Anderson gave up 5 runs. Take his ass out and bullpen it the rest of the way. It’s really that simple. 

5 minutes ago, Stradling said:

He’s no Lee Stevens

Your post made me think about what the Angels got for him when they got rid of him.  That led me to this article.  I don't remember this at all!  (Probably because I was a freshman in college on the other side of the country in the pre-internet era...)

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/article/38445/short-relief-time-angels-traded-quarterback/

3 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Your post made me think about what the Angels got for him when they got rid of him.  That led me to this article.  I don't remember this at all!  (Probably because I was a freshman in college on the other side of the country in the pre-internet era...)

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/article/38445/short-relief-time-angels-traded-quarterback/

I have never heard that story or at the very least I don’t remember that story.