• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: (8/18/23): Rays @ Angels: Schanuel leading off & O'Hoppe is back!

An early preview of some rebuild building blocks. Surrounded mostly by guys who won't be around very long. 

A solid move though. At best it stimulates positive energy and the team catches a winning wave. Especially when Trout is back. At worst it's a chance to see higher end prospects getting major league experience. And data that can be processed in planning for next year and beyond.

58 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I just don’t see it as desperation because that would assume Perry actually believes the team still has a chance.

This isn't Perry Minasian, the Angels' general manager, being reckless. It's the natural extension of owner Arte Moreno's decision to keep Ohtani.

"I feel sorry for Perry" is a common refrain among GMs these days, and Friday brought another one of those moments: As advanced a hitter as Schanuel may be, as quickly as he might have ascended with another organization, as much as he's here now on the strength of his performance -- it's even more on that of Ohtani's. -- Passan

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/38215301/nolan-schanuel-mlb-draft-rookie-los-angles-angels

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

I just don’t see it as desperation because that would assume Perry actually believes the team still has a chance.  It is very reasonable to believe they had a chance at the deadline when they were 3 games out.  It isn’t reasonable to believe they still have a chance now.  This very well could simply be they think he can hit major league pitching now, so why not let him do it.  Arte won’t be around when his service time becomes an issue. 

Good points, Strad. I thought reaquiring Cron was more desperate to tell you the truth. I think this gives us something to at least look forward to.

12 minutes ago, Trendon said:

This isn't Perry Minasian, the Angels' general manager, being reckless. It's the natural extension of owner Arte Moreno's decision to keep Ohtani.

"I feel sorry for Perry" is a common refrain among GMs these days, and Friday brought another one of those moments: As advanced a hitter as Schanuel may be, as quickly as he might have ascended with another organization, as much as he's here now on the strength of his performance -- it's even more on that of Ohtani's. -- Passan

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/38215301/nolan-schanuel-mlb-draft-rookie-los-angles-angels

Yea I think that’s silly as well. It’s Minasian doing what he believes to be what’s best for the player and the team. 

3 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

Yeah, my birthday is on Monday and if that game doesn't get rained out, I might try to snag some last-minute tickets to see the new kids in person. 

I'll be seeing the Angels on the 27th in a suite through my job, first time for me. I think Silseth is pitching too and it will be great to see all the new faces. Perhaps Trout will be back by then also.