• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Most Frustrating Seasons

11 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

Gaetti, Von Hayes, Hubie Brooks, Junior Felix, Ken Oberkfell

I remember well. That was after the "youth movement" of the post-1986 team failed. They won 91 games in 1989, but then 80 and 82 in 1990-91. If you remember, Junior Felix was a promising young outfielder for the Blue Jays that was brought in with the Devon White trade. White had a really nice run for the Blue Jays (averaging 5.8 WAR in 92-94 before WAR was a thing) while Felix fizzled. 

The "star" Wally Joyner was let go, because the Angels had Lee Stevens! Jack Howell was out of baseball from 92-95, then came back in 96. Not sure the story there. Schofield replaced by Disarcina. Chad Curtis, and the arrival of Damion Easley and Tim Salmon later in the year.

That '92 team had so many has-beens: Gaetti, Hayes, Brooks, and Oberkfell, but also Alvin Davis, Lance Parrish, Bert Blyleven. Thankfully by '94 or so they had stopped bringing those types of players in, or at least as the main approach to roster building.

11 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

2012 is up there.  

That's my #1. That team was arguably the best in baseball for several stretches, including the end. They really could have done damage in October. But for other stretches, including the first month, they were one of the very worst teams in baseball, and it cost them the postseason.

So many awful memories from that season:

- The 6-14 start. 

- Pujols not hitting a homer for his first 110 at-bats of the season, the longest stretch of his career.

- The Rays failing to have a single baserunner in their previous game against Seattle (King Felix's perfect game) and then coming to Anaheim and sweeping four games, including the Angels blowing an 8-0 lead the night they honored the 2002 team in a 10th anniversary celebration - the largest blown home lead in their history. 

- Blowing a one-run lead in the 9th and then a three-run lead in the 10th against Texas on August 1st. (The game where Scioscia decided not to pinch-run Bourjos for Morales and Kendrys got thrown out at the plate in the top of the 9th.)

- Miggy winning MVP over Trout when Trout had 10.5 bWAR to Miggy's 7.1, and the two main arguments being that Miggy won the Triple Crown and the Tigers made the playoffs... even though the Angels had a better record

Other seasons have been more disappointing, but when I think of the word "frustrating," 2012 will probably always be #1 for me. 

1 hour ago, Erstad Grit said:

Thing with 1995 was the team was outplaying their projections. Yes it was a collapse, but we weren't really supposed to be there. I still maintain Disarcina going down was the deathblow, as Neto was this year.

My big ones would be

2005 and that stupid call giving AJ the chance to run to 1B.

2009 and the Fuentes 0-2 pitch

You captured it really well for me.

2009 in particular, with the emotions of losing Adenhart, I really thought that team was destined to win the whole thing. Lots of talent too.

I think those of us who have been fans for many years, we expect frustration more than elation. I don’t believe in curses, but I do believe that culture runs deep and the Angels seem to have a culture that leads to frustration and occasionally tragedy. 

I’m forever hopeful that the right leader comes along and changes things. Scioscia and Stoneman seemed like those guys (I thought Arte too, in the early days), but the organization has drifted back into what seems to be both an ineffective and (from an external view at least) a rather toxic culture. It’s a travesty that drift back happened to line up with the arrival of two of the greatest talents in baseball history. Trout’s lack of postseason experience and success along with the looming exit of Ohtani only further deepen the perception that the Angels are a shoddy franchise.