• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Will he stay or will he go? Ohtani straw poll.

Will he stay or will he go? Ohtani straw poll.  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these is closest to your current opinion of Ohtani's chances of staying with the Angels beyone 2023.

• I'm more than 80% sure he will stay. He's got it great at the Angels and the franchise's future looks bright.
    • I think it's more likely that he stays than signs with someone else if Arte's offer is competitive (50%+ chance of staying)
    • 50/50 - I can't call it
    • The Fletcher option: More likely that he'll go than stay (30% chance of staying)
    • He's gone. There is no chance Ohtani is signing with the Angels again.

53 minutes ago, James said:

He could have waited to come to MLB just one more season and he would have made much more money however he wanted to be here so he came even knowing he was missing out on money.

It was two seasons more he had to wait.

Also, he knew he had a grade 1 UCL strain when he left Japan, so I’m not sure it would have been wise to wait. Besides that, I don’t think he would have gotten the chance to be a 2-way player if some team had signed him to a big contract first. He had to take minimal money while he proved he could do it. 

But I do agree with your overall point that he may not be thinking the way we expect him to. 

1 minute ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

It was two seasons more he had to wait.

Also, he knew he had a grade 1 UCL strain when he left Japan, so I’m not sure it would have been wise to wait. Besides that, I don’t think he would have gotten the chance to be a 2-way player if some team had signed him to a big contract first. He had to take minimal money while he proved he could do it. 

But I do agree with your overall point that he may not be thinking the way we expect him to. 

Thanks for the correction, swore it was one more season only, old man memory I guess. Fair point on the contract but considering the interest, it would seem he would have got much more had he waited but the injury would def come into play and considering how that played out, he made the right move. 

I know just enough about Japanese culture to be dangerous...  

What I don't know is how traditional Shohei is in his thinking.  I'd like to think that "loyalty" is a factor for him... and if that's true, I'd like to believe he will stay in Anaheim.  Being non-committal and holding his cards close to the vest doesn't surprise me (again - relating it to Japanese culture).  I'll be mildly surprised if he leaves.  I'd also be surprised if anything happens before the end of the season because I don't think he'd want to bring attention to it in the midst of pursuing a play-off spot. 

1 hour ago, T.G. said:

What I don't know is how traditional Shohei is in his thinking.  I'd like to think that "loyalty" is a factor for him... and if that's true, I'd like to believe he will stay in Anaheim.  Being non-committal and holding his cards close to the vest doesn't surprise me (again - relating it to Japanese culture).  I'll be mildly surprised if he leaves.  I'd also be surprised if anything happens before the end of the season because I don't think he'd want to bring attention to it in the midst of pursuing a play-off spot. 

I agree with this, but you'll never know I do.

6 hours ago, T.G. said:

I'm guessing his decision of where he signs will have 0% to do with Japanese culture.

With Trout, the Philly lure was the big fear. And this type of survey was split as well on the odds of staying or leaving. Money, comfort zone away from the park, tired of losing, trust in the organizational setup and direction  were also big debate issues. As well as personal and team challenges and objectives.

So basically, a common core with Ohtani's situation.

But there are the more  personal and cultural factors in the mix now. As there are with all international players in all sports who move to new countries with a different language and demographic. 

Which to me translates to a 50/50 chance of staying or leaving.