• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread (5/27/23): Angels vs Marlins - Ohtani on the mound

mmc

15 minutes ago, Justin said:

Well said. 

It's hard to get too excited about four-game win streaks knowing that they are capable of doing some of the dumbest shit imaginable at the drop of a hat. 

(On the plus side, it's hard to get too disappointed with them anymore. I pretty much expect these kind of games now.)

Very true. They just don’t play consistently enough to be that team… if it’s not the bullpen sucking, it’s the starting pitching, if it’s not that it’s the bats going to sleep, if it’s not the offense it’s bad defensive plays. This is just flat out not a very good team and it shows 

everything is clicking for Texas. Everything has clicked for the angels like once over the past 15 years and that was in 2014

It was obvious Silseth had no control whatsoever this outing. He was trying to figure things out against the top of the Marlins order and one of their hottest home run hitters. After the first wild pass, and with an open base, it may have been best to just IBB Soler and bring in someone new for the next hitter. But of course no one was warming up even though it was obvious from the first batter that Silseth was off from the start. Bottom of the ninth, Mike Trout on first base. It would have made sense to give him the green light to steal given the struggles this series with the top of the order.  Maybe he was given the green light and couldn't find a comfortable spot to do it over the course of the next three hitters?

Not all games are going to turn their way so I'm not going to come down on the brain farts from Moniak and Thaiss too hard. However, there's a lot from this game they can learn from and turn in to a teaching point on playing winning baseball. 1) Be better in tune with whether a pitcher has his stuff or not when he's pitching to the top of the order, late in a tight game, and be ready to pull him as soon as his minimum three batters are up. 2) Give one of the fastest guy on the team the green light to steal in the bottom of the ninth in a tied game, 0 outs, and the next few batters struggling to hit this series. That's just smart, aggressive, risk taking in baseball. One steal attempt per month is reasonable even if Mike Trout's health is being closely monitored. 3) Basket catches are hard to make on high and deep fly balls. 4) Remember to always step on the base!  

16 minutes ago, full circle said:

Don’t overlook the fact that Barria fucking shotputs a 50 ft “throw” to home on an easy comebacker.  Stupid shit all the way around. 

Like I implied, the pitchers need to work a lot on throws to the bases and home plate.

Ohtani’s 1st inning throw looked like something out of a Littke League game, not even remotely close to 1B.  Looked like Rudy Stein on that throw.

2 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Also, why didn’t Nevin put in Devenski for the 7th?

He is clearly the number 3 guy in the pen now.

Should have been Devenski, Moore, and Estevez for the save.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe for today's game, Devenski was the 8th inning guy and Moore was not available, or that matchups were not in Moore's favor (righty's on lefty's) to be the 8th inning guy.

5 minutes ago, T-angel said:

It was obvious Silseth had no control whatsoever this outing. He was trying to figure things out against the top of the Marlins order and one of their hottest home run hitters. After the first wild pass, and with an open base, it may have been best to just IBB Soler and bring in someone new for the next hitter. But of course no one was warming up even though it was obvious from the first batter that Silseth was off from the start. Bottom of the ninth, Mike Trout on first base. It would have made sense to give him the green light to steal given the struggles this series with the top of the order.  Maybe he was given the green light and couldn't find a comfortable spot to do it over the course of the next three hitters?

Not all games are going to turn their way so I'm not going to come down on the brain farts from Moniak and Thaiss too hard. However, there's a lot from this game they can learn from and turn in to a teaching point on playing winning baseball. 1) Be better in tune with whether a pitcher has his stuff or not when he's pitching to the top of the order, late in a tight game, and be ready to pull him as soon as his minimum three batters are up. 2) Give one of the fastest guy on the team the green light to steal in the bottom of the ninth in a tied game, 0 outs, and the next few batters struggling to hit this series. That's just smart, aggressive, risk taking in baseball. One steal attempt per month is reasonable even if Mike Trout's health is being closely monitored. 3) Basket catches are hard to make on high and deep fly balls. 4) Remember to always step on the base!  

Today was a designated "Silseth is pitching two innings come hell or high water" game by the front office

Just now, TroutField said:

Very true. They just don’t play consistently enough to be that team… if it’s not the bullpen sucking, it’s the starting pitching, if it’s not that it’s the bats going to sleep, if it’s not the offense it’s bad defensive plays. This is just flat out not a very good team and it shows 

everything is clicking for Texas. Everything has clicked for the angels like once over the past 15 years and that was in 2014

When Trout led off the 9th and Gubi said "His last walkoff was in 2015," it depressed me.

He hasn't had a walkoff home run in eight years

Maybe this is just going to be another season of hovering around .500, getting made fun of by the national media, and watching a dozen teams play in October while the Angels do not. 

At least I'm used to it. 

10 minutes ago, Justin said:

When Trout led off the 9th and Gubi said "His last walkoff was in 2015," it depressed me.

Maybe this is just going to be another season of hovering around .500, getting made fun of by the national media, and watching a dozen teams play in October while the Angels do not. 

At least I'm used to it. 

That’s exactly how this season feels so far…

When it feels like  your best player doesn’t give you the best chance to win with the game on the line… you know you’re screwed 

6 minutes ago, Justin said:

At least I'm used to it. 

I don't know if its more important to have a walkoff home run or to hit a game winning home run in the 9th. I believe Trout hit two (or one?) of the latter type, in the top of the 9th, up in Seattle last year. So Mike has it in him to hit important home runs. However, I would like it if he cut down on the strikeouts and put the ball in play during crucial at bats late in games. It just seems like he's squeezing saw dust out of the bat when he goes up there late with runners on base with the game on the line. Perhaps he can take a page out of Garret Anderson's book. Its like Garret was sleepwalking through all his at-bats yet he had the game winning hit in the 7th game of our only World Series win. 

8 minutes ago, T-angel said:

I don't know if its more important to have a walkoff home run or to hit a game winning home run in the 9th. I believe Trout hit two (or one?) of the latter type, in the top of the 9th, up in Seattle last year. So Mike has it in him to hit important home runs. However, I would like it if he cut down on the strikeouts and put the ball in play during crucial at bats late in games. It just seems like he's squeezing saw dust out of the bat when he goes up there late with runners on base with the game on the line. Perhaps he can take a page out of Garret Anderson's book. Its like Garret was sleepwalking through all his at-bats yet he had the game winning hit in the 7th game of our only World Series win. 

He has definitely had some big hits in the 9th - that home run against St. Louis a few weeks ago comes to mind. Hell, that leadoff single tonight could have been huge, but no one even moved him over.

My point was more that it has been a depressing last few years with this team and when I hear Gubi say that Trout's last walkoff was in 2015 - or hear him mention for the 500th time Trout's grand slam against Chris Sale, which will be nine years ago in a week - it makes me realize just how long it has been since I have felt true excitement being an Angels fan. 

2 minutes ago, Justin said:

He has definitely had some big hits in the 9th - that home run against St. Louis a few weeks ago comes to mind. Hell, that leadoff single tonight could have been huge, but no one even moved him over.

My point was more that it has been a depressing last few years with this team and when I hear Gubi say that Trout's last walkoff was in 2015 - or hear him mention for the 500th time Trout's grand slam against Chris Sale, which will be nine years ago in a week - it makes me realize just how long it has been since I have felt true excitement being an Angels fan. 

I hear you.... What made that grand slam against Chris Sale so meaningful for me was the context in which it happened. The best pitcher during that period of time against the best hitter at that time. Also, the Angels hadn't done much against Sale up to that point... ever. I remember Mike fouled off a slew of pitches that at-bat. And hit a changeup from Chris that most human beings would have swung over the top on. Good baseball players would have swung and missed on that pitch. It was impressive. 

Back to losing series against peer level teams. It's hard to be optimistic about them putting enough winning streaks together to progress against so many contending teams. Losing an Ohtani start is even more damaging. Who knows how the other starters will pitch in the next five road games? An Ohtani start should be as close to a sure win as you can get. 

Problem is that he's only going six innings. Throwing a lot of pitches in the early innings. The real danger comes after. 

Losing leads late kills confidence and momentum. Especially after coming from behind. 

Some really embarrassing defensive blunders. Absolutely inexcusable for Thaiss and Moniak. 

Silseth seriously hurt his credibility. Looks like mop up roles till he proves he can pitch. Not just throw. 

Sunday is a must win to not start the road trip with a losing streak. 

5 hours ago, Justin said:

Maybe? This is exactly what is going to happen.