• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The next 6 series....

It's going to be very tellling what type of team we are over this next stretch (Milwaulkee, St. Louis, Texas, Houston, Cleveland).  I'm glad Perry is doing what needs to be done here with Silseth to solidify the bullpen a bit.  Maybe Cabbage makes his way up and we release Lamb (Hopefully).  

I'm not at all worried about the offense this season.  Now with Drury finding his way back.  I'm confident we can come back from any game.

Bullpen...not so much.

I'd also look for a catcher.....not the time of year to make a deal obviously and you don't want to overpay.....but if we can find somebody in a roster crunch, I wouldn't be afraid to pull the trigger on a modest type of deal (more than a waiver wire pick up).  If O'Hoppe is healthy next year and Stassi is ok, we'll worry about having 3 catchers then...I'm just not comfortable with Thaiss and Wallach..

20 minutes ago, DMVol said:

I'd also look for a catcher.....not the time of year to make a deal obviously and you don't want to overpay.....but if we can find somebody in a roster crunch, I wouldn't be afraid to pull the trigger on a modest type of deal (more than a waiver wire pick up).  If O'Hoppe is healthy next year and Stassi is ok, we'll worry about having 3 catchers then...I'm just not comfortable with Thaiss and Wallach..

I actually like Wallach. Thaiss can swing, but he is not a good catcher. 

Other than trading for Sanchez I don't think any outside of the organization options exists. 

Dodgers lost Smith to concussions and Austin Wynns was the best they could do. 

2 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

I actually like Wallach. Thaiss can swing, but he is not a good catcher. 

Other than trading for Sanchez I don't think any outside of the organization options exists. 

Dodgers lost Smith to concussions and Austin Wynns was the best they could do. 

I think Wallach is ok as a back up....I don't know if there is anybody out there that we could trade for....Saying you'd like this kind of guy or that kind of guy is easy, finding somebody who fits the description is sometimes much harder....we'll see....I guess my point is that I wouldn't be afraid to pull the trigger, without overpaying, if there is a guy out there that they like....not overpaying doesn't mean that you wouldn't have to give up somebody you like.....

3 minutes ago, DMVol said:

I think Wallach is ok as a back up....I don't know if there is anybody out there that we could trade for....Saying you'd like this kind of guy or that kind of guy is easy, finding somebody who fits the description is sometimes much harder....we'll see....I guess my point is that I wouldn't be afraid to pull the trigger, without overpaying, if there is a guy out there that they like....not overpaying doesn't mean that you wouldn't have to give up somebody you like.....

The problem is the only way to really improve is to find someone actually worth installing as a starter.  Thaiss's bat is playing so far -- his defense isn't ideal but maybe playing more often helps there.  I wish I'd have watched him behind the plate in AAA more to have an actual opinion that wasn't mostly guesswork.

Wallach has always had the reputation for being solid behind the plate, so the Thaiss/Wallach pairing may end up being okay so long as they can combine for even league average offense.  As of today they have combined for 0.5 fWAR in 49 PA's-- so they have actually outpaced what O'Hoppe had done.

14 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

The problem is the only way to really improve is to find someone actually worth installing as a starter.  Thaiss's bat is playing so far -- his defense isn't ideal but maybe playing more often helps there.  I wish I'd have watched him behind the plate in AAA more to have an actual opinion that wasn't mostly guesswork.

Wallach has always had the reputation for being solid behind the plate, so the Thaiss/Wallach pairing may end up being okay so long as they can combine for even league average offense.  As of today they have combined for 0.5 fWAR in 49 PA's-- so they have actually outpaced what O'Hoppe had done.

Finding somebody worth installing as a starter is probably too high a bar.  I guess I was thinking maybe a young guy who they like but hasn't done enough to establish himself yet, with some upside....a Jo Adell of catchers, if you will, although you'd have to give up a decent player if there is a guy out there who fits that description......Odds aren't great, I know...I am also kind of intrigued by the idea of seeing what Thaiss could do with more playing time....if he could just be average defensively, his bat might play....

Not a big fan of Lamb, but he's hit .417 in the last 2 weeks, and he's played a lot less now that Drury is hitting.

Ward's OPS is only .489 during that same stretch. He's been abysmal.

My main concern with Cabbage is he's only walked 3 times in 21 games with 18 strikeouts. Normally, guys who come up the Majors with those kind of splits against AAA pitching get eaten alive by Major League pitchers

As far as the catching situation is concerned, I’d DFA Lamb and claim Tyler Heineman off waivers.

Thaiss can play 1B and 3B if needed (like Lamb) but can actually hit. And carrying three catchers would enable you to replace Thaiss defensively at C late in games.

28 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Other conundrum with catcher is there is basically zero depth right now. Anything happens to Wallach or Thaiss, even a day-to-day injury, and a whole new can of roster worms gets opened up. 

They’ve gotta claim one of Heineman or Lavastida off waivers. They can just move O’Hoppe to the 60-day IL to clear space on the 40.

Even if they have to give up a lottery ticket prospect to jump the waiver order, I think it’s worth it.

23 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

I watched Thaiss plenty in AAA. The game is just so different in the majors and I think that's why we're seeing Thaiss manifest in a slightly different manner. In AAA, defensively he wasn't very noticeable, which is what you want, but I never really saw any mental gaffes. And his arm... The kid has a quick release and is accurate. He had very little trouble dispatching base stealers. 

Again MLB is a different story. Not sure what the future holds for him, but I've believed in the bat for years. 

23 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I watched Thaiss plenty in AAA. The game is just so different in the majors and I think that's why we're seeing Thaiss manifest in a slightly different manner. In AAA, defensively he wasn't very noticeable, which is what you want, but I never really saw any mental gaffes. And his arm... The kid has a quick release and is accurate. He had very little trouble dispatching base stealers. 

Again MLB is a different story. Not sure what the future holds for him, but I've believed in the bat for years. 

This is a great opportunity for him, aside from the catcher’s interference and a few throws into center, he’s doing well.  Circumstances are changed without O’Hoppe and Thaiss has a chance to earn more playing time.  I’m rooting for him!

1 hour ago, Revad said:

….Circumstances are changed without O’Hoppe and Thaiss has a chance to earn more playing time.  I’m rooting for him!

If O’Hoppe comes back strong, and with Stassi’s status unknown, Thaiss could play himself in to a solid back up role for next year….I think I’d still take a look at trades but Thaiss could change the equation… 

On 4/28/2023 at 1:59 PM, ten ocho recon scout said:

I have no idea what his issue is, but the hush hush nature of it makes me wonder if it's something they don't want getting out...

Catching aside, it could be something medically very serious to him or a close family member.  I hope not, Stassi is a good person and I wish him the best.