• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Perspective

6 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Correct. They’ll be part of the 42 at loss number 61.  

clearly, we see it differently.

the whole premise of the "you win 60, lose 60, and the other 42 are what matters" is that there are some games that you'll win handily, some that you'll lose handily, and the rest are up for grabs.

the 9 games I cited didn't involve them losing handily. They were games that were up for grabs, and they lost them. Maybe all 9 don't fall in that category, but at least a few of them do.

Just now, Trendon said:

clearly, we see it differently.

the whole premise of the "you win 60, lose 60, and the other 42 are what matters" is that there are some games that you'll win handily, some that you'll lose handily, and the rest are up for grabs.

the 9 games I cited didn't involve them losing handily. They were games that were up for grabs, and they lost them. Maybe all 9 don't fall in that category, but at least a few of them do.

No that isn’t the whole premise, that’s never been the premise.  The whole premise is any team can beat any other team on any given day. So it comes down to those 42 games.  

9 minutes ago, Stradling said:

No that isn’t the whole premise, that’s never been the premise.  The whole premise is any team can beat any other team on any given day. So it comes down to those 42 games.  

but how can you say that you can't count those 42 games until after the 60th loss?

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

You can if you get 60 wins and then win a 61st game. 

but if the whole premise is that any team can beat any other team on any given day, how can you say that those "other 42" don't start until after the 60th win or 60th loss?

1 minute ago, Trendon said:

but if the whole premise is that any team can beat any other team on any given day, how can you say that those "other 42" don't start until after the 60th win or 60th loss?

Because they haven’t been played yet. This is a very simple concept that you are choosing to turn into your own narrative. 

12 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Because they haven’t been played yet. This is a very simple concept that you are choosing to turn into your own narrative. 

I'm not trying to turn it into my own narrative. I must be misunderstanding the adage.

What are you saying the adage is?

6 hours ago, Stradling said:

I have seen a ton of posts/tweets and such saying that if we were a playoff team we should be sweeping teams like Oakland or the Royals.  I just think that line of thinking is unrealistic even for playoff teams.  Hell the Royals only have 5 wins, but they’ve beat both Texas, who is leading the division (for now) and Toronto, who I think will be one of the favorites to win it all.  The old adage is every team wins 60, loses 60 and it is what you do with the other 42 that really matters.  So with the season being about 26 weeks long, even the worst teams average more than 2 wins a week over the course of a year.  So expecting a sweep is just setting yourself up to be upset.  

You ever look at a betting line for baseball?  It’s not like their are lines saying the Rays should beat their opponent by 4 runs.  It’s always a tighter line than that.  Which is why it is infuriating to lose games like last night, when you have the lead with 3 outs to go.  You have to execute and we haven’t been.  In my mind we will start executing, while in other people’s minds they will never consistently execute because they haven’t been for years.  I tend to look at things inside of individual seasons, while others will look at trends from previous seasons.  As we saw last year, it can all change in an instant, where you can go from having the best record in the league, to losing 14 straight.  

We have 5 more games against some lesser talented opponents, lets see if they can get some wins to finish out this homestand.

Good post.  It's nice to see guys  that have in the past gravitated toward being pessimistic and negative, come around and get perspective.  Kudos.  Baby steps, but we'll take them

The team is still at .500, has won all but 2 series,  and hasn't even been playing very well so far.  

2 minutes ago, Swordsman78 said:

Good post.  It's nice to see guys  that have in the past gravitated toward being pessimistic and negative, come around and get perspective.  Kudos.  Baby steps, but we'll take them

The team is still at .500, has won all but 2 series,  and hasn't even been playing very well so far.  

You are probably the only person who thinks I’m negative about the team. 

To be honest, I’m surprised they’re 11-11. The losses have been so frustrating it feels like they could be several losses worse. 

Season is still early, a lot of guys are under-performing, no one is really over-performing…they have a lot of imperfect fits that may need some time to gel. I’m not throwing in the towel yet.

Edited by totdprods

I keep wondering about why everyone is so hyperbolic about these games. Guess what? Everyone loses to everyone. Nobody finished perfect against another team in their division, and rarely against other teams in the league. Guess what? Last year, the Astros went 1-5 against the A's in July! OMG!! They must stink!!! No, actually baseball is weird sometimes. And the Phillies lost 3/4 to the Marlins and 2/3 to the Rockies in April last year. OMG season over!! They also went 11-14 and lost 5 straight twice in September. 

Why do we do this every year? For crying out loud, we were in first, firing on all cylinders, and rolling teams in mid-May last year. Then we had a freakish, unbelievable 14-game losing streak. The important thing is to figure it out early. The worst thing that happened to us last year was we got rolling into May, and the FO thought Velazquez, Wade, and all the other spare parts was good enough because it worked for 7 weeks. I am actually glad the Angels are struggling and have to resolve some major issues--bullpen, 4th/5th starter, Drury/Lamb/Rengifo/catcher--in late April. Think about when Ward gets going? When Drury is at least average? When they fine tune the pen? When Stassi returns (Lord willing)? Walsh instead of Lamb/Rengifo? Suarez or Silseth/Erla/Bachman/Crow earns that 5th/6th spot? That stuff hasn't happened yet...and we're at .500. Just like the Dodgers, Astros, Guardians, Phillies, and Padres. Struggle in April so you don't rely on Suarez, Lamb, Loup, Herget, Rengifo, et al in June when teams really start to separate. 

For goodness sake the Pirates are in 1st place. 

The idea of arguing with Strad about “perspective” with this group of fans (and this team, to be honest) is awesome.  

Not that anyone is wrong, per se, but it’s just a fantastic example of being able to see how different people view the same thing in such different ways.  

And seeing how Strad’s “The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow!” view grates the pessimists is entertaining.

12 hours ago, totdprods said:

To be honest, I’m surprised they’re 11-11. The losses have been so frustrating it feels like they could be several losses worse. 

Season is still early, a lot of guys are under-performing, no one is really over-performing…they have a lot of imperfect fits that may need some time to gel. I’m not throwing in the towel yet.

Sad thing is without the self inflicted implosion, we could easily be 18-4.

Last season the complaint was the non regulars forced into the lineup to cover injuries were not of MLB quality to take the field either defensively or from their woeful offense.

Perspective by OPS+

Ward 92

Urshela 83

Thaiss 72

Rendon 66

Rengifo 65

Neto 65

Lamb 43

Drury 33

Phillips 18

Fletcher -30

When cheerleaders like Stradling and Swordsman want to rah, rah and wag their fingers at those that know this team is underperforming, it seems all so silly to even engage with them.

This team is actually worse than last year and we haven't even talked about defense or the bullpen. So unless these guy don't get their shit together and play at MLB average, there are no 42 game swings to determine the season. 

Rah, rah, oh rah. 

JhQp.gif

9 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Last season the complaint was the non regulars forced into the lineup to cover injuries were not of MLB quality to take the field either defensively or from their woeful offense.

Perspective by OPS+

Ward 92

Urshela 83

Thais 72

Rendon 66

Rengifo 65

Neto 65

Lamb 43

Drury 33

Phillips 18

Fletcher -30

When cheerleaders like Stradling and Swordsman want to rah, rah and wag their fingers at those that know this team is underperforming, it seems all so silly to even engage with them.

This team is actually worse than last year and we haven't even talked about defense or the bullpen. So unless these guy don't get their shit together and play at MLB average, there are no 42 game swings to determine the season. 

Rah, rah, oh rah. 

JhQp.gif

Surprised Thaiss is that high

12 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Perspective by OPS+

Ward 92

Urshela 83

Thais 72

Rendon 66

Rengifo 65

Neto 65

Lamb 43

Drury 33

Phillips 18

Fletcher -30

Rah, rah, oh rah. 

JhQp.gif

I’m not wagging my finger.  Sorry my thread bothers you old man thank you for participating.