• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels select Zach Neto, option David Fletcher, place Chris Rodriguez on 60-day IL

mmc

What is really surprising to me is that Fletcher got optioned.  I would have assumed he would have been IL'd with some phantom injury.  For his purposes, it doesn't really matter (i.e. service time), given his contract is guaranteed.  But still, that's rather shocking to see.  How often do we see MLB players on significant contracts get optioned?

10 minutes ago, Revad said:

Does Neto have any experience at 2b?  Or does Urshela?  I assume they brought Neto up to play rather than take Fletcher’s role and Drury/Rengifo stand to lose playing time.  

8 minutes ago, mmc said:

They brought Neto up because they think he deserves to be the starting SS

Totally agree they brought him up to be the starting SS--but, Revad, just for the record, Neto wasn't a full-time SS in college until last year.  He split time between 1B, 2B, 3B, and even pitcher. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=neto--000zac

1 minute ago, jsnpritchett said:

Totally agree they brought him up to be the starting SS--but, Revad, just for the record, Neto wasn't a full-time SS in college until last year.  He split time between 1B, 2B, 3B, and even pitcher. 

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=neto--000zac

It would make more sense to me if they do move Rendon to 1b as others have suggested, but we’ll see how Urshela does playing 1b.  If that works well no need to shift Rendon.

10 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

Defense is important! We lost yesterday because of bad play. 

Glaus struggled with his bat as a rookie but his defense kept him in the games. 

This doesn't solve 1B unless Urshella now goes there. 

He's starting there today.

25 minutes ago, Stradling said:

This is huge. 

Seriously... I can't say I can recall the last time the Angels made such a bold callup.

The team's lack of a short stop is really killing them, but with all the middle infielders on the roster and Neto's inexperience it was hard to see them making this move so quickly.

Holy shit! Didn't expect them to be this aggressive this early in the season, but I appreciate it. You knew there was some sense of urgency this year to make the playoffs with Ohtani's long-term status in limbo, but figured they'd give it a good month+ to evaluate individual players and team performance before making any drastic decisions.

Just now, AngelsLakersFan said:

Seriously... I can't say I can recall the last time the Angels made such a bold callup.

The team's lack of a short stop is really killing them, but with all the middle infielders on the roster and Neto's inexperience it was hard to see them making this move so quickly.

Urshela seems to have actually graded out decently well to start the year, both defensively and offensively.  But yeah, obviously, he is just a one-year stop gap, so it's great to see Perry promote Neto and see how ready he is.

I see this also as a move to try to help the defense overall.  This may shift Rengifo into more of a part-time role, and given how poorly he grades all over the diamond, perhaps that is best.

Neto is the primary SS, and will be backed up by Urshela on his needed days off.  Rendon will be the primary 3B and will be backed up by Urshela (likely 2+ times per week).  I imagine Drury will now absorb more starts at 2B in place of Rengifo, and Urshela will perhaps split time at 1B with Lamb (and eventually Walsh, if/when he is healthy).

Rengifo, in turn, will probably see more time on the bench now.

14 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

What is really surprising to me is that Fletcher got optioned.  I would have assumed he would have been IL'd with some phantom injury.  For his purposes, it doesn't really matter (i.e. service time), given his contract is guaranteed.  But still, that's rather shocking to see.  How often do we see MLB players on significant contracts get optioned?

I imagine Fletcher’s days are numbered. He’s a DFA candidate in short time, tbh, with hopes of some team claiming him and his still modest but likely overpay of a contract. Or he is involved in a future trade solely for the purpose of moving money from one team or another. Wonder if the D-backs would be interested in uniting him with Dom. 

I don’t think he has any trade value really, but a small-market team could still see some utility in having him as a fairly cheap, controlled bench vet, or if the Angels assumed a bad contract/big money and sent him over to make the money exchange a little more palatable for both teams. There just isn’t much place for him here, especially if Neto sticks, even with Urshela being a pending FA. Urshela sort of fills the same role and skill set, but with much more clout.