• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Is the Rendon deal a bust?

Taylor

Rendon Bust Pole  

90 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Rendon deal a bust?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not yet, but it will be soon.
    • This narrative is pointless.

16 minutes ago, Taylor said:

If you don't like the thread, don't click on it.

Nah... you can't silence me.  I know people like you like to silence opposing opinions, but I'll keep on doing what I'm doing.  Thanks.

8 minutes ago, T.G. said:

I will voice my opinion in any thread I want to.  I'll question any post I want to as well. 

Trying to silence different opinions is par for the course for you.

I'm not trying to silence your opinion. It's welcome here. This poll has multiple options.

You just seem to spend a lot of time in a thread you find pointless.

1 minute ago, Taylor said:

I'm not trying to silence your opinion. It's welcome here. This poll has multiple options.

You just seem to spend a lot of time in a thread you find pointless.

I find the narrative boring and pointless... that doesn't mean I won't comment on it.  This narrative comes up over and over again. We get it.  Some people hate Rendon because of his history of injuries as an Angel. It's unfortunate. 

Did you listen to the most recent podcast #9?  Victor talks about this and makes great points.

4 minutes ago, T.G. said:

I find the narrative boring and pointless... that doesn't mean I won't comment on it.  This narrative comes up over and over again. We get it.  Some people hate Rendon because of his history of injuries as an Angel. It's unfortunate. 

Did you listen to the most recent podcast #9?  Victor talks about this and makes great points.

I created a fourth poll option to capture your sentiments.

Yes, he's a bust if by "bust" you mean he's not earning his contract, relative to expected value, which for a free agent is about $9M per WAR.

Counting half of this year's salary, so far the Angels have paid Rendon about $96M and gotten 3.6 WAR out of him. That's about $27M/WAR, or about 3x the cost for the expected value.

By the end of his contract, Rendon will have gotten about $228M from the Angels. $228M / $9M = about 25 WAR. Meaning, to not be a bust, he would need to accrue over 21 WAR over the next 3.5 years, or about 6 WAR per season. Not going to happen.

• 2 weeks later...

Caught the very first topic on Pardon the Interruption and Tony Kornisher (who loved Rendon as a National) called the Rendon contract the 2nd biggest bust in baseball history next to the Steven Strausner contract in terms of dollars vs production value.

Then he proceeded to reel off Rendon’s 4 year history with the Angels and, holy crap…..extremely bust worthy.

I understand the dude has had a run of bad luck injuries this year, but I didn’t realize just how bad his production has been.  I suppose we have to hope for some miraculous turn around, since we’re stuck with him till the contract ends.

Edited by PattyD22

1 hour ago, PattyD22 said:

Caught the very first topic on Pardon the Interruption and Tony Kornisher (who loved Rendon as a National) called the Rendon contract the 2nd biggest bust in baseball history next to the Steven Strausner contract in terms of dollars vs production value.

Then he proceeded to reel off Rendon’s 4 year history with the Angels and, holy crap…..extremely bust worthy.

I understand the dude has had a run of bad luck injuries this year, but I didn’t realize just how bad his production has been.  I suppose we have to hope for some miraculous turn around, since we’re stuck with him till the contract ends.

Other than Barroid bonds, how many players get better into their mid to late 30's? 

1 hour ago, cals said:

Rendon was probably so happy when that ball hit his shin. 

Here’s a little advice to anyone making player acquisition decisions:  Don’t sign guys who don’t like baseball.  

It’s not rocket surgery.

But is it rocket science?