• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2023 MLB Season Thread

m0nkey

1 minute ago, m0nkey said:

Tatis hit 2 homers off kershaw yesterday, and has 85 in 286 career games. That’s 48 per 162 games

A couple years ago he was my top contender to dethrone Trout as best player in the game. At 24, assuming he's 100%, I see no reason why he couldn't still be. Acuna has also bounced back to elite status and Wander Franco is finally showing his superstar potential, so should be kept in mind. Those three, I think, will be the best players over the rest of the 2020s.

Darkhorses to sneak into the mix are Julio Rodriguez, Adley Rustchman, and maybe several others. I suspect Juan Soto will return to form at some point but he seems to be an old player at 24, and both he and Vlad Jr will never have the defensive skills to be as good overall. But close, I think.

I think Trout has dropped a notch from a 9 WAR guy to a 7 WAR guy, which puts him in their category as "garden variety great player" rather than "inner circle Hall of Famer." I think he'll hang with these guys for a couple years, as the elder great, but gone are the days where he's a whole tier better than everyone else.

3 minutes ago, Lou said:

Julio Rodriguez in 2023:

216 BA 

.285/.400/.685

It looks like you're saying 216 PA, with a very nice triple-slash.

Anyhow, the kid is young and the season is early enough that some players haven't evened out their performance yet. Manny Machado is hitting .246/.301/.385. Jose Ramirez is slugging .447 with 3 HR. 

I'm also fairly certain that Sean Murphy isn't the best player in baseball (leads majors with 2.3 fWAR).

Rodriguez might also have a sophomore slump. But the future is bright. I don't see him in the same grouping as Acuna/Tatis/Franco, but in the next group down.

Edited by Angelsjunky

1 minute ago, Angelsjunky said:

It looks like you're saying 216 PA, with a very nice triple-slash.

Anyhow, the kid is young and the season is early enough that some players haven't evened out their performance yet. Manny Machado is hitting .246/.301/.385. Jose Ramirez is slugging .447 with 3 HR. 

I'm also fairly certain that Sean Murphy isn't the best player in baseball (leads majors with 2.3 fWAR).

Rodriguez might also have a sophomore slump. But the future is bright. I don't see him in the same grouping as Acuna/Tatis/Franco, but in the next group down.

BA isn't plate appearances. (the letters give it away)

48 minutes ago, Lou said:

Julio Rodriguez in 2023:

216 BA 

.285/.400/.685

Batted ball data is down a bit -- it might be the back issue he supposedly had been fighting, but the exit velocities are down.  His BaBip is way down, so it's possible the lower exit velocities are having an impact and a case could be made that it's so far off what he did last year and in the minors that he's been unlucky.

He's a big strong kid.  It's going to be interesting to see how his body changing as he ages will impact him.  Like Trout in his rookie season, his speed was a big factor -- it will be interesting to see if he retains that speed regardless of whether or not he continues to steal bases.

Mike Trout's footspeed ranks in the 96th%.   What an absolute freak he's been.

On 5/6/2023 at 12:17 AM, Ender said:

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh. 

the way he says it makes it seem like he brain farted in the worst possible way trying to speak. god damn, if he's not an ignorant monster, i feel for the fucking guy. that's horrific.

the negro leagues museum manager stuck up for him too, so i think this is just awful for the guy and it's going to cost him his job and his career.

11 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Batted ball data is down a bit -- it might be the back issue he supposedly had been fighting, but the exit velocities are down.  His BaBip is way down, so it's possible the lower exit velocities are having an impact and a case could be made that it's so far off what he did last year and in the minors that he's been unlucky.

He's a big strong kid.  It's going to be interesting to see how his body changing as he ages will impact him.  Like Trout in his rookie season, his speed was a big factor -- it will be interesting to see if he retains that speed regardless of whether or not he continues to steal bases.

Mike Trout's footspeed ranks in the 96th%.   What an absolute freak he's been.

We do not want him to steal anymore already due to the back issues ... seems that is when he gets hurt the most often.

He's still hitting the ball hard .. just less luck. He hit a 115 MPH ROCKET today for an out. 

I think he'll course correct, but its gonna be a bit and a challenge.

That or Kelenic sucked all the powers out of him and into himself.

Angels at #2 behind the Mariners:

All of the team home run celebrations, ranked

https://www.mlb.com/news/ranking-2023-home-run-celebrations

1. The Trident, Mariners
It’s important that your home run celebration be fun, but what is most important is that the person who just hit the homer feels awesome. This is why the trident, which is held like the home run hitter is Aquaman himself, is our favorite celebration. You just look cool posing with that thing, as if you have vanquished some grand sea beast and showing off your victory to the villagers you have just saved from its terrors. Julio Rodríguez is obviously the perfect model for this one, but honesty, it is impossible not to look like a conquering hero when you’re holding a trident.

2. Samurai Warrior, Angels
The World Baseball Classic was so riveting in so many ways that will continue to ripple out across the baseball world for years to come. (Put it this way: Everyone’s going to want to play in that thing in 2026.) But Team Japan’s thrilling run to the title continues to put its stamp on the league, essentially on a daily basis. The Samurai Warrior helmet that the Angels have broken out is a logical extension of everything that Shohei Ohtani and company did in the WBC, and there’s even an element of good sportsmanship to it. After all, Mike Trout -- the guy Ohtani famously struck out in the final at-bat in the Classic -- looks just as good wearing it as Ohtani does.