• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: Angels @ Padres (3/7/23): Davidson on the mound

15 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I cannot imagine a scenario in which Thaiss has any significant standalone trade value.

Davidson has a better chance of sticking than Thaiss I think.  Either bundle him or he gets lost on waivers.

5 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

Package him with Davidson. What will happen with Tucker when season starts? 

Even if packaged with Davidson, Thaiss isn't going to have much value. Both are out of options and neither has shown the ability to perform at the major league level.  At best, you'd get back a fringe-y reliever from a team that doesn't expect to contend this year. 

26 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Even if packaged with Davidson, Thaiss isn't going to have much value. Both are out of options and neither has shown the ability to perform at the major league level.  At best, you'd get back a fringe-y reliever from a team that doesn't expect to contend this year. 

If there was more in the budget, they could be part of a deal in which the Angels take on money.  Thaiss and Davidson plus taking on $3M might get a reliever worth having, or a developmental project that has a couple options.

15 minutes ago, Revad said:

Perhaps you’d like to suggest what you would do?  Just put them on waivers?

Honestly, who cares if Davidson gets claimed on waivers? He's interchangeable. Had you ever even heard of him before the Angels traded for him last year? The only reason I had is that my brother is a huge Braves fan and used to complain about him all the time. 

Thaiss' value to the Angels is also not that great, given all the guys they signed in the off-season who can play the corner IF spots. To me, his only real value is to handle a few games at C if the Angels don't think O'Hoppe is ready to stick in the bigs at the beginning of the season.  Once O'Hoppe is ready, I think Thaiss' value to the Angels is pretty much zero. 

4 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

Honestly, who cares if Davidson gets claimed on waivers? He's interchangeable. Had you ever even heard of him before the Angels traded for him last year? The only reason I had is that my brother is a huge Braves fan and used to complain about him all the time. 

Thaiss' value to the Angels is also not that great, given all the guys they signed in the off-season who can play the corner IF spots. To me, his only real value is to handle a few games at C if the Angels don't think O'Hoppe is ready to stick in the bigs at the beginning of the season.  Once O'Hoppe is ready, I think Thaiss' value to the Angels is pretty much zero. 

I live in Atlanta so I’d heard of Davidson, but I’m not really a fan.  I’d like to see him do well but I agree he’s replaceable, I think the Angels will only keep him if he wins the sixth starter job.  If he looks good they might give him a few starts at the beginning of the year, similar to what you’re suggesting with Thaiss.

Thaiss is one of ours though.  He will likely get put on waivers at some point this year and a team like the Reds will pick him up.  I’ll be interested to see if he succeeds further, if he can hit he will.  Maybe he’ll figure it out somewhere given regular at bats.

Perry needs to win so he will make the call, manage the dfa scene and the waiver wire.  I don’t think there’s time for the Angels to wait for further developments- O’Hoppe will make the team if he’s ready.  If he’s not, who knows.  Bad time to trade for a backup catcher, but see if another team releases someone better than what we have.  

Edited by Revad

It’s part of being a fan of any team nowadays, seeing players come and go.  I like what Atlanta has done with the extensions, not all of them will work out but there is going to be a core to follow for several years.  I spend my baseball time on the Angels, but as a baseball fan when I live in a city I follow that team to some degree. The internet has allowed me to remain an Angels fan, but I enjoy watching other teams, hearing other announcers.  Since games out there start late out here, I’ll watch a bit of what’s on.  I like watching the Rays and Blue Jays because I’m rooting against the Yankees and Red Sox.