• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MLB agrees to make extra inning runner on second base rule permanent

mmc

On 2/13/2023 at 11:43 AM, Don said:

First, I'm not a fan of this. I don't think there was ever anything wrong with extra innings pre-2020, and it sucks we need to change this part of the game to appease the "games are like too slow, man" crowd.

The rule was never intended to speed up games in that respect. The main reason they did it is because long games would wreck a team’s bullpen and require a bunch of roster moves. Back during covid they were trying to minimize the need for roster moves because it meant players traveling and puncturing their bubble, so to speak. 

I am sure that even now that covid isn’t a consideration, the teams still appreciate the impact a long game has on the bullpen in the subsequent days. 

9 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

The rule was never intended to speed up games in that respect. The main reason they did it is because long games would wreck a team’s bullpen and require a bunch of roster moves. Back during covid they were trying to minimize the need for roster moves because it meant players traveling and puncturing their bubble, so to speak. 

I am sure that even now that covid isn’t a consideration, the teams still appreciate the impact a long game has on the bullpen in the subsequent days. 

For over 120 years bullpens survived

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Sure, everyone loves a rule that makes their job easier. 

2 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

You are right I grew up with four man rotation pitchers throwing complete games. Money has changed the way they use pitchers. Now you have 6 man rotations and 8 in bullpen. Players are pampered.

It’s different for sure.  Back in the day with a four man rotation, pitchers weren’t throwing as hard as they could every pitch. 

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Fans are dropping like flies....hence why the MLB is making changes. The game is well behind many other sports with viewers and attendance/participation.

But keep sticking with your 120 years bullshit.

Adapt or die.

Behind NBA where players cannot play 2 games in a row. Stars sit out all the time. Ghost runner hell put them at third. Game has survived 120 years is not BS. Adjust some more add more teams to playoffs like other sports. Put half the teams like other sports that will help Angel fan interest. Teams always tanking and rebuilding that helps MLB. Money has ruined MLB.

8 minutes ago, TempeAngel said:

13 pitchers not 14. We have another slot because Ohtani is a two way player.

And the pampered comment is pretty lame.

They are BP pitchers come in throw 1 inn. Have starters go longer they pitch 5 inn or throw 90 pitches they are taken out. Look at pitchers in past starters often pitched in relief in between starts. 

2 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

They didn’t use pitchers like they do now for most of that time. 

Want to save the bullpens go to 7 inn games. Let's put ghost runner in tied games in 9th why wait till 10th. You have starters go 3 or 4 inn not pitching for 5 days put them in pen. Players are just pampered so much. More fan interest have    10 teams in each league make playoffs. NBA does that.

2 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

Want to save the bullpens go to 7 inn games. Let's put ghost runner in tied games in 9th why wait till 10th. You have starters go 3 or 4 inn not pitching for 5 days put them in pen. Players are just pampered so much. More fan interest have    10 teams in each league make playoffs. NBA does that.

I don’t think it’s entirely money and “pampering.” I think they also realized it’s more effective run prevention to have 4 pitchers coming in and throwing all different kinds of gas than to have one or two finessing their way through the lineup. 

I would like to see a rule limiting the number of pitchers on the roster, because then I think you’d force teams to have pitchers work deeper, and pitch to contact more. I think the biggest problem in the game is too many strikeouts. 

7 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I would like to see a rule limiting the number of pitchers on the roster, because then I think you’d force teams to have pitchers work deeper, and pitch to contact more. I think the biggest problem in the game is too many strikeouts. 

Not up to date but:

image.png

@Jeff Fletcher I certainly get the roster/usage impact argument. And it definitely made sense to implement the extra innings changes during the Covid season. That said, MLB has already expanded rosters, allowing teams to carry an extra pitcher if they'd like. They could continue to address the issue as needed in ways that don't fundamentally alter the way the game is played.  

8 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I don’t think it’s entirely money and “pampering.” I think they also realized it’s more effective run prevention to have 4 pitchers coming in and throwing all different kinds of gas than to have one or two finessing their way through the lineup. 

Completely agree with your first paragraph. It's not about pampering. It's about situational baseball being played in the present versus how pitchers were used in the past.

Regarding a rule limiting the number of pitchers on the roster, don't we already have this? It's 13 pitchers until September 1 when rosters expand and it is 14. Teams can also carry an additional pitcher if they are deemed a two way player like Ohtani. Are you saying you would like to see that limit decreased to 11 or 12?

1 hour ago, Don said:

@Jeff Fletcher I certainly get the roster/usage impact argument. And it definitely made sense to implement the extra innings changes during the Covid season. That said, MLB has already expanded rosters, allowing teams to carry an extra pitcher if they'd like. They could continue to address the issue as needed in ways that don't fundamentally alter the way the game is played.  

The ghost runner rule will also save you a pitcher from time to time. All of these rules they keep adding seem to incentivize the opposite behavior from what they want.