• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official Los Angeles Angels Minor League Stats, Reports & Scouting Thread

1 hour ago, Trendon said:

Or the Angels could just use Davidson more and DFA someone who isn’t very good.

He’s been great out of the pen this season

image.pngimage.png

Do you really want to see them get rid of someone who really isn't good or do you just want them to get rid of Barria because for whatever reasons you think less of him?

Barria is younger.  He's posted a 3.41 ERA. 4.39 FIP over 184+IP since 2020 -- numbers Davidson can't really touch over that same span albeit he's had had fewer opportunities/IP.

It really seems like your entire argument is based on BABIP, because there really isn't anything to point out that argues Davidson is really any better and there is a track record that argues he's been worse.

Davidson has an edge on WPA this season, mostly due to Barria's first appearance.  Their Siera numbers are nearly identical.

51 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

It really seems like your entire argument is based on BABIP, because there really isn't anything to point out that argues Davidson is really any better and there is a track record that argues he's been worse.

Davidson has an edge on WPA this season, mostly due to Barria's first appearance.  Their Siera numbers are nearly identical.

Barria's FIP is way worse than Davidson's. 4.18 for Barria, 2.58 for Davidson.

Barria's BABIP is .077 points lower than Davidson, so I'm not sure what you mean by saying it's "based on BABIP."

Another thing is, via the eye-test, Davidson has looked better. Ward robbed a grand slam that Barria would've otherwise given up. His stats would be much worse if that ball goes out.

56 minutes ago, Trendon said:

Barria's BABIP is .077 points lower than Davidson, so I'm not sure what you mean by saying it's "based on BABIP."

Another thing is, via the eye-test, Davidson has looked better. Ward robbed a grand slam that Barria would've otherwise given up. His stats would be much worse if that ball goes out.

Is there an advance stat that backs up that theory? 

1 hour ago, Trendon said:

I meant FIP, not BaBIp, not sure how I miss typed that... FIP seems to be your go to stat when discussing Barria, and as I've said previously he seems to be one of those guys who consistently beats his FIP, mostly due to the quality of contact.  FIP is a good stat but in today's Statcast world we have better/more data to look at than just FIP.

As far as the eye test goes, one can only assume you've had a blindfold on for all but 16 innings of Davidson's career.

I don't see either guy as being vital, I just don't see this massive divide you seem to when looking at them and I'm unwilling to ignore Barria's tendency to induce weak contact despite his propensity to give up HRs because Tucker Davidson hasn't been shit for a month of his career.

4 hours ago, Trendon said:

Barria is in his 6th season as a major leaguer.  In 5 of those six years he has been a slightly above average pitcher.

For his career his ERA+ has been slightly above average.

Yet he consistently is unappreciated regarding FIP.

Edited by stormngt

11 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I don't see either guy as being vital, I just don't see this massive divide you seem to when looking at them and I'm unwilling to ignore Barria's tendency to induce weak contact despite his propensity to give up HRs because Tucker Davidson hasn't been shit for a month of his career.

I don't see Davidson being vital either, but I think that he should be getting more high-leverage chances if Barria is getting those because it's bad roster construction to have two long relievers without options.

I probably am being too harsh on Barria, but it's harder for me to trust his ability to consistently beat his FIP than it is for you.

25 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I don't see Davidson being vital either, but I think that he should be getting more high-leverage chances if Barria is getting those because it's bad roster construction to have two long relievers without options.

I probably am being too harsh on Barria, but it's harder for me to trust his ability to consistently beat his FIP than it is for you.

Its not that I trust him to, its that he consistently does it.  Barria is exactly the sort of pitcher I'm not fond of/struggle to read, I just can't blind myself to the reality he's consistently doing this. 

Davidson has a slightly better WPA this season, so it wouldn't be a bad move to use him in higher leverage situations but the sample size for both allows for noise and Barria has consistently been good for a positive WPA while TD sports a negative WPA for his career.

Having both lacking options is undoubtedly a bad situation.  

Question. When the starting pitchers have a hard time getting past 5 innings, and you are worried about wearing out the relievers, should we have 2 long relievers instead of only one? Barring & Davidson could split those innings to save the rest of the pen.

Spoiler

44 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

dealers choice on which to keep but I'm not a fan of having both.  Especially with no options.  Personally, I'd move one of them in favor of Silseth who has options AND is a more viable option for a legit high leverage pen role.  

2 hours ago, Docwaukee said:

dealers choice on which to keep but I'm not a fan of having both.  Especially with no options.  Personally, I'd move one of them in favor of Silseth who has options AND is a more viable option for a legit high leverage pen role.  

Truthfully, I think that is one of the biggest issues with the way our bullpen is currently constructed.  We have way too many pitchers who don't have any options.  It is essentially what led to one of our best relievers (Wantz) having to be optioned - because we didn't really have anyone else who could be optioned at the time.

Hopefully we are moving in that direction with time, as our young pitchers get closer to the majors and some of our poorer performing options are DFA'd/let go, but for now, the only way to cycle through relievers is to essentially have them get "hurt" and use the IL to call up a fresh arm.

My easily replaceable swing starter is better than your easily replaceable swing starter! And I have flawed and incomplete evidence to support my opinion which trumps your flawed and incomplete evidence. Now, I demand you recognize my opinion is superior at once!

2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Its not that I trust him to, its that he consistently does it.  Barria is exactly the sort of pitcher I'm not fond of/struggle to read, I just can't blind myself to the reality he's consistently doing this. 

Davidson has a slightly better WPA this season, so it wouldn't be a bad move to use him in higher leverage situations but the sample size for both allows for noise and Barria has consistently been good for a positive WPA while TD sports a negative WPA for his career.

WPA is way over my head.  I will comment that Barria has had success as a 5 inning starting pitcher.  He has had success as a long relief pitcher. 

He does not seem to be effective as a late inning reliever.

9 hours ago, stormngt said:

WPA is way over my head.  I will comment that Barria has had success as a 5 inning starting pitcher.  He has had success as a long relief pitcher. 

He does not seem to be effective as a late inning reliever.

It's a model intended to show much a player helped his team win.  Higher is better and negative WPAs tend to indicate the player worsened his team's chances to win.

Barria's first appearance of the year has had him digging himself out of a hole all year but he's had a positive WPA in every season other than the one where they tried to change who he was and he sucked ass.

8 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

If you throw away stats and just watch him pitch, he often delivers solid outings with extended, instead of single inning usage. But if you look at those inning using advanced stat cast data you would have thought he is getting bombed every game. 

Show me on the field and I'll follow and root for you. Barria I can root for because he gets the job done. It may not be pretty, it can look like a tightrope walk sometimes but he pitches out of most situations. It's like he is ok with giving up that double, single or walk just to get to the batter he can control the outcome of. 

And yes, it can drive you a little crazy until everyone is back in the dugout. 

Jeremiah Jackson is #1 on Baseball America's Prospect Hotlist. 

1. Jeremiah Jackson, 3B/OF, Angels
Team: Double-A Rocket City (Southern)

Why He’s Here: .611/.636/.889 (11-for-18), 6 R, 2 2B, 0 3B, 1 HR, 4 RBIs, 3 BB, 3 SO, 3-for-4 SB

The Scoop: Jackson operates at two extremes as a hitter. When he’s cold, he’s ice cold. Jackson began the season that way with 12 strikeouts in his first 19 at-bats, including five straight games with multiple strikeouts. But when he’s hot, he’s scorching. Jackson got hot last week and was a one-man wrecking crew at the plate for Rocket City, batting .611 and reaching base in 14 of his 22 plate appearances in the Trash Pandas’ series against Chattanooga. He recorded four multi-hit games, showed off his power-speed combination with three extra-base hits and three stolen bases and did it all while playing four different positions (second base, third base, left field and center field). The 23-year-old has begun his transition from shortstop to multi-positional player, and if he can maintain any semblance of consistency at the plate, his power, athleticism and versatility give him a chance to rise. (KG)

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/hot-sheet-baseballs-20-hottest-prospects-from-the-past-week-5223/

40 minutes ago, mmc said:

Who do you guys think would be the next man up at catcher for us from AAA, Molfetta, Mulrine, or Okey?  None are hitting but can anyone speak on any of them defensively?

If any of them are on the 40 they likely get first shot, if none of them then the guy they call up is likely the guy they are most comfortable losing should they have to waive him.

I think the biggest decision maker for the Angels right now is the status of the 40 man roster.

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

If any of them are on the 40 they likely get first shot, if none of them then the guy they call up is likely the guy they are most comfortable losing should they have to waive him.

I think the biggest decision maker for the Angels right now is the status of the 40 man roster.

None of them are on the 40 man, they didn't even have Wallach on the 40 man until O'Hoppe got hurt and they needed to clear a spot for him