• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What a difference an extra $25m (and maybe more) makes

Docwaukee

I think the progress has been incremental. Last year, we signed 3 pitchers to multi-year contracts (no starters). This year, we signed a starter to a 3-year deal. Clearly more trust is being given to Perry--or Arte recognized that he wasn't going to be with the team long-term and allowed Perry to make all the decisions--save 1. 

I do think they are making a lot of these moves to convince Shohei there is a reason to stay. If the Angels win 88 games and grab a wild card spot, they will be just as much in the mix as other teams. In terms of ownership and the sale of the team, Arte's one rule is that he cannot be traded because as long as he is here (even if it's only 1 year), the revenue is very high. And new ownership will do everything in their power to keep him because duh. The thing I like about this is that it likely means spending, buying, and spending this year (once the sale goes through) to convince him. No doubt the new ownership group's 1st task will be to offer Shohei the world to keep him. 

13 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Isn't most of that $25 mill made up by the increase in Ohtani's salary to ~$30 mill?

It’s $25 million more than last year’s budget.  Upton came off and Ohtani took that chunk, is the way I think of it.  Spent less on SP this year (so far) but beefed up the position players nicely.